Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Meermin Mallorca Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by asturiano, Dec 5, 2011.

1. bespoken4me

bespoken4me Senior member

Apparently the blind squirrel found the photobucket nut. I am waiting for a pair of Carmina Brown shells in Simpson Wingtip from the Paris store, as well as MTO medallion toe Carmina oxfords from Epaulet. That said, for the money I paid on those two pair alone, with many years of experience and 60+ pair of shoes, some displaying a gross lack of judgment, Meermin cannot be approximated by anyone at that price/value point, including their relatives from Mallorca. I wish I had discovered earlier . The cuero shell cordovan, while Argentinian, looks good. It certainly is not Horween, but far better than the so called shell from Japan.
    Until disappointed, I will never look back at AE with any real admiration, as Meermin does much more, with pricing AE cannot match. If you talk about AE "sales" well, that is a diferent matter. AE is now attempting to foray into the chiseled toe with the Chelsea boots, and Flatiron medallioned toe. I commend them for that, but until they broaden the classic English last models, they are simply a Joseph Banks made in in the USA. I've got to shut up as this is a Meemin thread, and I'm bashing a US company- I sould be applauding as the loss of the Nettletons, Florsheim etc.. leaves only two standing, both of which make fine shoes.

2. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

Very nice, thanks for the pic. I'm planning on buying a pair to wear with my tuxedo for my wedding. I'm not sure how often I'll wear them otherwise, but I figure I'll be able to find more use for them than for a pair of patent leather shoes (which are essentially guaranteed only to be worn when I wear my tux).

3. bespoken4me

Wear them as you would a black cap toe, or blucher with any suit. Wolecuts were always considered the more elegant of oxford/ debys as they are made from single cut of leather. Wear with pride with any formal/ informal wardrobe, and are a perfect alternative to patent tux shoes

4. VRaivio

VRaivio Senior member

This was just added on Meermin's FB page, the picture speaks for itself:

[​IMG]

5. lychyrychy

lychyrychy Senior member

Pmed you!

6. chogall

chogall Senior member

Looks like Meermin has been improving their quality steadily.

7. lychyrychy

lychyrychy Senior member

They must have good a real quality control guy haha

8. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

how'd you figure that?

9. bespoken4me

10. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

Thanks for sharing; on their tumblr now, too.

Again, the speedhooks are awful. I'd go blind-eyelets all the way up to dress it up as it ain't no workboot.

Also, ditch the brouged cap for a medallion toe with no cap or a plain toe and call it good.

Possibilities...

Would love to work out MTO pricing on this guy.

Looks good, but is dying for some product. Lexol + Kiwi is my method. Yours may vary.

11. chogall

chogall Senior member

New boot models and fancy hand weltings are indications of increased skills of their Chinese shoemakers. And if the Romanians can do it for SC, the Chinese could do better and cheaper as with everything else.

Please polish your shoes.

Brogued cap is classic for balmoral boots. Speedhooks choice is aweful but easily remedied as long as they are installed properly; my local Mexican cobblers can't even properly put in speed hooks.

The unfixable problem is the slanted balmoral line; not exactly my cup of tea.

12. bespoken4me

I've only worn twice! The product it needs, are Meltonian and discipline. My typical treatment is the heel swipe. I so badly drag my feet across when walking, the heel always leaves beautiful marks on the opposite shoe.
    I just commissioned Pepe ( sounds so patrician, I'm DeMedici to his Michaelangelo) to make a pair of Hiro last Plain toe 3 eyelet blucher ( derby) in a whiskey pebble grain. Was going to stick with the GY 9 + partial norv, as the braided welt stitching with afull norvegese can be a bit much. I am confident in his work after seeing so many MTO's on Tumblr. They really do go beyond standard MTO, in that you can easily, with his advice, make whatever you really want. I've seen however, that process go awry when someone tries to put a bit of everything into the shoe and they end up with a confusing mess. Some of the suede/ calf models look nice- but talk about a polishing nighhtmare. You almost have to tape off and approach like car detailing. No thanks, I, as shown above, have enough trouble pulling the shine box out of closet [​IMG]

13. chogall

chogall Senior member

what's the MTO cost now for that setup? PTB, pebble grain, GY9 + partial Norv?

14. JBMarce21

JBMarce21 Senior member

right? I love em. Thank you! Can't wait.

15. bespoken4me

Base price NW3+GY9: 360€(21%VAT incl).
    MTO costs: 100€(21% VAt incl).
    Shipping costs to US: 35€

TOTAL: 415,17€ (21%VAT excl & shipped)

Now at appr. $531, we are at base Alden calf pricing and $ 180 give or take over AE standard line, which is everything. I own a few pair and will never go back, unless I get a apir of NST Aberdeen cigar shells. I own a few pair each of most higher makers, and I haven't seen the construction quality/ leathers to justify the $ 900-1,500 for Vass-Jobb-Green. I've done it and enjoy this much more. Also, as most "rough" work is done in China, it is nonetheless in their factory, under their training and supervision, so my early fears were allayed as the finishing is done in Mallorca. Wherever they do the wood pegging, welting matters not to me as the controls are pretty tight.