1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Meermin Mallorca Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by asturiano, Dec 5, 2011.

1. mimo

mimo Senior member

I'm sorry, I didn't want to come across as "trashing" Meermin - not at all. I like what they do, I like that they also do MTO, and I just like that they exist. We can debate and discuss the relative merits of different brands but it doesn't matter - at the moment, you and I both still want to buy Meermin shoes.

I'm just saying that they have competition, especially at their LM price point, and as choices get wider, the customer experience can cost. They need to stop for breath, even if that means freezing new orders for a couple of weeks, and get a simple off-the-shelf e-retail and stock control system - just like some of their equally small competitors have done. That would make their lives easier, as well as minimising the risk that their customers will cheat on them with a pretty fiddleback Frenchie (other nationalities are available).

2. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

At the Linea Maestro price point there aren't really that many brands offering hand welting, i.e. no gemming. If the quality control was more consistent, I'd take a pair of LM's over a pair of Carminas any day.

3. engar

engar Senior member

Customer satisfaction is a fairy tale for most Spanish companies.

4. mimo

mimo Senior member

Including Linea Maestro: if they are "goodyear welted" as described, then that's a mechanical process, and involves gemming. "Hand welted goodyear" is a contradiction in terms, that I can only take to mean "using your hands to operate the goodyear machine!". I suspect that the Linea maestro are welted in house, rather than in China like the regular line. The only actual hand stitching their site shows in its video collection is for Norvegese. Which is presumably why it is another 100 Euros. I think if they actually hand-stitched the welts and/or soles, they'd make more of a selling point out of it considering what else they show on the site.

Again, I'm not having a dig at Meermin here. Goodyear welting on a machine is still a skillful process and John Lobb, Edward Green and G&G do exactly the same - and gemming too. But phrases like "hand made", "hand welted", "hand grade" and the like are deliberately vague. There are very few (usually bespoke) makers who actually sew the welt and sole on by hand, and I'm pretty sure Meermin isn't one of them. I think the real difference is quality control, like you've said: the more they do in their own factory instead of China, the more consistent they can be. Along with different leather grades, I'm sure that is what you pay the extra for - not just the painted soles.[​IMG]

5. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  6. dufferin1

dufferin1 Senior member

Here's to hoping my shoes ship as said......................

7. terrorsquad

terrorsquad Senior member

Good news for the group MTO; Pepe just informed me that the museum calf has just arrived from Ilcea.He will send me some pics soon that I will share with all of you :)

1 person likes this.
  8. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

[​IMG]WOO HOO!!! [​IMG]

9. mimo

mimo Senior member

Then that makes them and Vass pretty much the only regular favourites on here that are then. Thanks for straightening that out, and I'm impressed!

10. j ingevaldsson

j ingevaldsson Senior member

Just to set things straight: Linea Maestro are indeed hand welted, exactly like for example a few other RTW-makers like Vass or Paolo Scafora, and pretty much all bespoke makers. That to me is the major thing with Meermin. But the hand welting takes place in China, hence the very low price for hand welted shoes. Just the "finishing" of the shoes that's made in Spain, this includes bot Classic, LM and MTO shoes. Why they call it Hand welted Goodyear is probably cause most people take the Goodyear name as a quality stamp, not realising that hand welting is actually better when you don't have to deal with gemming. But I have to say that I completely agree that Meermin have to take care of their issues with long delivery times, unanswered e-mails and quality control issues ASAP. It could be a big problem if customers give up and don't stand the trouble and effort a Meermin order is currently often associated with. Edit: Missed that Rdiaz har already answered about the hand welting.

1 person likes this.
  11. SloopyNoob

SloopyNoob Senior member

yeah baby!!!! :D

12. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

Nearly double the cost you say?

LM is 260eu, this is 325

http://www.carmina.telemaco.es/articulo.asp?idarticulo=3640213

Further, what are you basing your opinion of SL on? I've seen a few of their products and they are quite nice. The finishing is as nice or nicer than LM and the fiddleback waists are awesome.

this obsession with gemming failure is totally ridiculous in my mind. I have not seen any evidence that goodyear welted shoes are in danger of imminent failure due to being gemmed. Is handwelting better? Sure. Is it almost entirely academic? Yes.

13. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

Nope, they are not in danger of imminent failure - but more than anything clothing-related, I see shoes as an investment. So I do worry about getting the most reliable long-term durability for my money, and if hand welting is any less prone to failure, or allows for more resolings, I'll go for it.

14. newtoshoes

newtoshoes Well-Known Member

Yes, I'm working with Sandro. I am sure that they are really trying hard, but the current waiting times (responses, production, delivery) are just not acceptable. It is now 2 months that I have not been able to wear my shoes.

Regarding the quality, they definitely have a good value for the money. However, you have at least a few good alternatives at about the same price and quality range here in Germany that also have shown up in recent years. I'm afraid the current situation may keep a lot of customers from ordering Meermin shoes.

15. dufferin1

dufferin1 Senior member

Sent you a PM.

16. kcox68

kcox68 Senior member

I can't argue with a word of this. You're absolutely right on all counts, especially the idea of Meermin freezing orders until they can get a handle on what they have. Let's hope they listen.

17. kcox68

kcox68 Senior member

I'm expecting to wait at least two months for the rest of my orders as well so I don't know that there's much to be done there. As much as I love the one pair of shoes they've sent me, and they will be hard pressed to destroy the good will created in rushing delivery at such a high cost, they need to do something about delivery times.

I think much more than the two month or longer turn around time, it's the fact that they still claim that they can produce and deliver the shoes in 30 days that is most frustrating for customers. I've been experiencing this quite a bit with small shops lately. I have a shirt on order from an online tailor that I found on this site. It should have been completed over a week ago but has still not been sent. When I inquired as to when it would be shipped the first time, I was told I would receive an email that never came. When I asked in a PM on SF why I had heard nothing, I was promised it would go out today, but it doesn't seem to have happened and there's been no communication from the maker. If the company had merely said, "we're going to have our shirts produced in three weeks. Sorry for the inconvenience." I would have been fine. Instead they still offer make them in three days on their site and haven't bothered to change this even though the information is patently false. Like Meermin's 30 day promise, this is just frustrating. At least Meermin made up for things by working with me to make sure I had at least one pair of shoes before an important trip. The shirt company doesn't seem to be too concerned over their broken promises.

I would say to every small business that makes time guarantees, either stand by your word or change your promised turn around. Don't give customers false expectations that you know you aren't able to meet.

18. kcox68

kcox68 Senior member

I have to agree that the very lowest priced Carminas can sometimes come down to only 65eu more than the hand-welted Meermins. Yet the majority of Carmina's product in is the 400-500eu + range. However, you dismiss the features that make one product more valuable while exagerating the benefits of its competitor (i.e. praising the aesthetics of a fiddleback waist that isn't seen by almost anyone over the proved quality benefits of hand-welting). So yes, if we were to use such a cost/benefit analysis, Carminas would be the better value than Meermin. All we have to do is choose Carmina's lowest priced models, fall in love with a rarely seen aesthetic feature, and arbitrarily decide that hand-welting doesn't create a better quality shoe.

These are not academic points. They go to the core of what makes one brand a better value than another.

19. p.henrik

p.henrik Senior member

Sweet!

Just wanted to check if you know if Meermin does boots apart from the chukkas we can see in their online store. I would love to do a group MTO for a cordovan boot (preferably balmoral).

20. mrjester

mrjester Senior member

Has anyone in the US got any Meermins? Where did you get them if so? (Online)