1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

Meermin Mallorca Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by asturiano, Dec 5, 2011.

1. chogall

chogall Senior member

cordovans is a waste of money most of the time.

2. stevent

stevent Senior member

sub $500 for MTO is great, haven't seen my pair in person yet though

3. MCanavan6

MCanavan6 Well-Known Member

I'm not a huge fan of their derbies due to the rubber sole. I think it adds bulk to the shoe and takes away from the sleekness of it (something that the oxfords have due to the leather sole). The derbies without the rubber soles are only available in the Rui last which is very round and takes away from the sleek look I'm going for.

4. kungapa

kungapa Senior member

I've seen the same type of white residue on several of my C&J for RL shell shoes.

5. JBMarce21

JBMarce21 Senior member

The man asked for versatility... dub monks have that. I suggested brown semi brogues, black whole cuts, brown dub monks, and then black semi brogues or black dub monks.

dub monks are a lot easier to wear with denim, and the vast majority of ppl in this forum would agree with me they are a good looking shoe. I guess if I were to slightly revise my advice, it would be in this order, by importance:

Brown semi brogues (Suit or jeans)
    Black Wholecuts(suit or tux)
    Black Semi brogues (honestly suit only, but there are ways to pull it off i guess with jeans)
    Brown Dub monks (Suit or Jeans)
    Black Dub monks(Suit or jeans)

a black straight up captoe also works only with a suit, and IMO there is never a time a straight black captoe can be worn when a black whole cut could not, but a whole cut can also be worn with a tuxedo.

You could also inserts full brogues where the dub monks are, or austerity brogues, which are apparently coming out on the olfe this fall from meermin. (i'll probably be buying all colors...) You will likely get even more versatility out of those, and if dub monks are coming off trend then the full brogues or austerity brogues will maintain their classicness, as they have never been out of style.

Also Hendrix good point, I like the give a man to fish/teach a man to fish reference

6. MCanavan6

Do you happen to know when austerity brogues are coming out? If they look half as good as the MTO pair a couple pages back theyll be imcredible looking.

Also what is the general consensus on Suede for the office? Too laid back and better to stick with leather?

7. JBMarce21

JBMarce21 Senior member

I can't wait! My guess is they come out early November. Pepe and the crew are meeting with investors right now, partially because they would like to have me help them open up a store here in NYC, so they are busy busy and I have yet to hear back on exact times. As far as suede, it can be tricky, but if it's dark it is OK for the most part I would say. I have the meermin semi brogues on the olfe in dark brown suede, and I wear them as I would any other dark brown shoe. As a commercial RE broker, I have a lot of time in front of clients, and unless it's not yet a client but rather a potential new one, I would say they are fine.

Meanwhile, I would say that in hindsight I may have gone for a different shoe, as you never know when you might get called to a meeting. But, as I said, as long as it's dark enough ppl won't even notice.

8. Zarium

Zarium Senior member

Opening a store in NYC? I hope this doesn't mean an increase in prices...

9. hymo

hymo Senior member

Ach, you don't know a damned thing about shoes.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  10. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

As I pointed out in my post, the lightness in the creases on my Meermin shells is not the white bloom you frequently see on other shell cordovan shoes. That brushes off easily. This is an issue with the finish on the Meermins cracking and the lighter-colored surface underneath showing through.

11. UnnamedPlayer

UnnamedPlayer Senior member

Have you go in touch with Meermin to find out what the deal is?

I really want those NST's but I really don't want fucked up leather.

12. MCanavan6

Please educate me on what I'm confused about.

13. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

From the Meermin Tumblr. Is this the same issue with the creases looking too light?

[​IMG]

14. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

You sure you want your first official pair of shoes to be from a retailer in another country that you can't try on? Sizing can be difficult enough even when you try them on, so this might be a challenge and return shipping is pricey.

15. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

I've emailed them about it, just included pictures and asked if it was normal. Sandro said he'd check with the factory and get back to me.