Meermin Mallorca Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by asturiano, Dec 5, 2011.

1. jpc9

jpc9 Senior member

Guys-

Has anyone heard from Pepe or Sandro over the last few days? Just wondering if they're back from holiday yet; I wrote 4 days ago, no reply yet..

2. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Trying to decide between dark brown and burgundy shell cordovan. I've seen this photo, but does anyone have any more? I'm trying to gauge how dark the dark brown is, and how red the burgundy is. If anyone can comment on how the burgundy compares to Horween #8, that would be appreciated as well.

(I'd ask Pepe these questions, but given the team's workload at the moment, I thought I'd check here first).

Last edited: Sep 1, 2012

3. Needsmoreshoes

Needsmoreshoes Senior member

I think I saw a few pics that showed the burgundy being much lighter than number 8 SC but I'm not too sure.

From a personal perspective I'd choose burgundy over brown seeing as you've got a rather nice collection of brown shoes already; what style were you going for?

4. sripradeep

sripradeep Member

When the shoes came in It was much lighter than #8, was also a bit dry and scratched easily, I conditioned it with some shoe cream and its now closer to #8

5. sripradeep

sripradeep Member

When the shoes came in It was much lighter than #8, was also a bit dry and scratched easily, I conditioned it with some shoe cream and its now closer to #8

6. jko

jko Senior member

On the insole, where that cushioning thing ends.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2012

7. Aieyric

Aieyric Senior member

Not those, but almost the same except for the broguing on the toes.
    [​IMG]

8. Jmen

Jmen Well-Known Member

It looks like they've raised the prices. Classic Collection is now € 160 and the Linea Maestro is now € 260, and Shell Cordovan is now even € 30 more than before.

9. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

They need to pay for all the labor that SF orders have produced.

10. j ingevaldsson

j ingevaldsson Senior member

I've written this before, but might as well do it again: The information I have is that BOTH the classical line and Linea maestro collection is made in China and finished in Spain (the information doesn't come directly from Meermin, but from people who have good insight into the shoe industry on Mallorca). I have no information on exactly what "finished" means and how much of the work it includes, but I'm pretty sure that it's far more than just the upper sewing that is made in China. Think about it, it would be too "good" to be true to get handwelted shoes entirely made in Spain for 250 euros (or 260 now, it appears).

The fact that they stamp the insole with Made in Spain now (is this new, my pair don't have the stamp?) would therefore seem a bit odd I think, but it's a fact that it often takes just a bit of making in the country, eg "finishing" the product, to be able to put that "Made in..." stamp on it.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2012

11. Jmen

Jmen Well-Known Member

Well, I actually think the reason of the raised prices is the raised VAT in Spain. The VAT went from 18% to 21%. That doesn't explain the whole increase though, but it might be one of the reasons.

12. Jmen

Jmen Well-Known Member

If you go to Meermin's channel on Vimeo, some videos say "@ Inca Factory". So I think it's safe to assume that those actions take place in Spain.

13. pikachoo

pikachoo Senior member

are you sure you looked closely enough? the stamp is kinda small, and is located at the inner edge of the insole, towards the middle of the shoe

14. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

I just double checked and mine certainly don't have it.

15. j ingevaldsson

j ingevaldsson Senior member

Yes, but there's only two videos were it's written "@ Inca Factory", and these are the video about soles pre-burnishing and cordovan shell finishing for the small leather goods. So that more than anything else confirms the fact that it's just the finishing that is made in Spain, otherwise wouldn't they put out the text "@ Inca Factory" on all of the videos?

For the record, I've asked the Meermin-people where their shoes are made to get it clear once and for all, but they didn't answer. We also know that they do read this thread occasionally, and if it wasn't true that the shoes are manufactured in China one would assume that they would want to tell us that. I got the feeling that they don't want to talk about it since they know that made in China often scares people a bit, so they just sit silent on this.

But to clarify, like I've done before, even though the shoes are manufactured in China I still think that it's really good shoes for the money, probably the best money-quality ratio out there, maybe except for Vass shoes ordered directly from Budapest.

Checked mine again, no sign of a stamp what so ever.