• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BB_Adept

Reaction score
I just ordered size 9 twice and I'll see how they fit. Being EU based does have some advantages when it comes to shoes, it's terrible in regards to tailoring though.

MacGuffen

Reaction score
MTO Tobacco waxy shell in identical style to the one offered as RTW, but with proper Goodyear welt on Hok instead of Flex.

They're much more red than the website pictures suggest. Not sure how I feel about that yet, but I think I like it. QC was pretty good!
tempImageEgaMkq.jpg

Last edited:

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MTO Tobacco waxy shell in identical style to the one offered as RTW, but with proper Goodyear welt on Hok instead of Flex.

They're much more red than the website pictures suggest. Not sure how I feel about that yet, but I think I like it. QC was pretty good!
View attachment 1945647
I didn’t think I would like this leather; but seeing it now on something other than the generic site photographs boots, I have to say I really like these. Guess I’ll be getting a pair in this leather next.

rob g

Reaction score
Selling my whiskey heritage shell jumpers UK 8.5 RUI, $300, tried on only, no outside wear:

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am in need of a loafer. This one fits the bill

Not the best sale but better than nothing. I am a size 9UK in my Sons of Henry shoes. Would I be the same in Meermin? "Sale" ends Thursday. Would wear this on my upcoming vacation in Los Cabos and on a cruise in the Caribbean

LiverFieldie

Reaction score
A pair of brown country grain bluchers on the HOK last from the Spring Sale arrived today. I probably didn't do enough research before I jumped on them, but the Meermin "find my fit" recommended 8UK based off my usual RMW AUS8G. They're definitely a "big UK size" - dress sock was a no go; switched to a midweight wool sock and the heel and instep fit pretty nicely, but they are verrrrry long. Far and away the longest UK8's I've seen (I thought that record went to a pair of NPS brogues I have, but the HOK's are probably a full 1/4" longer than those even). I think they'd be wearable because my heel is well seated, the facings have some room when tied up, and they seem to be breaking decently at the forefoot, but the length is pretty offputting visually.

The sale shoes are "no returns/no exchanges" I gather, but I still made a plaintive request to customer service to see if they could be exchanged for a smaller smaller size. I'm perfectly happy with the build quality and materials otherwise, and they're a good looking shoe. But put me in the "size down 1.5 from your US size for the HOK last" camp

GuyLab

Reaction score
A pair of brown country grain bluchers on the HOK last from the Spring Sale arrived today. I probably didn't do enough research before I jumped on them, but the Meermin "find my fit" recommended 8UK based off my usual RMW AUS8G. They're definitely a "big UK size" - dress sock was a no go; switched to a midweight wool sock and the heel and instep fit pretty nicely, but they are verrrrry long. Far and away the longest UK8's I've seen (I thought that record went to a pair of NPS brogues I have, but the HOK's are probably a full 1/4" longer than those even). I think they'd be wearable because my heel is well seated, the facings have some room when tied up, and they seem to be breaking decently at the forefoot, but the length is pretty offputting visually.

The sale shoes are "no returns/no exchanges" I gather, but I still made a plaintive request to customer service to see if they could be exchanged for a smaller smaller size. I'm perfectly happy with the build quality and materials otherwise, and they're a good looking shoe. But put me in the "size down 1.5 from your US size for the HOK last" camp
If I recally correctly there is a 14-day return/exchange policy which also valid for the spring sale

LiverFieldie

Reaction score
If I recally correctly there is a 14-day return/exchange policy which also valid for the spring sale
Well - for those still contemplating a purchase from the Spring Sale: I just heard back from Meermin customer service that they will not do a return/exchange on the Spring Sale items. I had some vague hope (probably unjustified given the tales of CS woes) that Meermin might be accommodating given that I relied on their own sizing recommendation. Indeed, their own description of the Spring Sale terms states:

Final Sales

All products marked down will be final sales, and so no returns will be accepted. One of the reasons being that most of this styles will be discontinued and no stock will be kept anymore. Said that, we will do our best to accomodate exchanges while stock permits it.

(underscoring supplied by me)

FWIW it's worth, I requested an exchange either for same model one size down, or if not still in stock, an equivalent value model one size down. So I guess I either wear them a little too big or sell them, and just not order from them again. It's not enough $$ to get in a scrap about. But to prospective buyers: caveat emptor - their "best" accommodation is a blanket "no return/exchange." Lesson learned.

GuyLab

Reaction score
Well - for those still contemplating a purchase from the Spring Sale: I just heard back from Meermin customer service that they will not do a return/exchange on the Spring Sale items. I had some vague hope (probably unjustified given the tales of CS woes) that Meermin might be accommodating given that I relied on their own sizing recommendation. Indeed, their own description of the Spring Sale terms states:

Final Sales

All products marked down will be final sales, and so no returns will be accepted. One of the reasons being that most of this styles will be discontinued and no stock will be kept anymore. Said that, we will do our best to accomodate exchanges while stock permits it.

(underscoring supplied by me)

FWIW it's worth, I requested an exchange either for same model one size down, or if not still in stock, an equivalent value model one size down. So I guess I either wear them a little too big or sell them, and just not order from them again. It's not enough $$ to get in a scrap about. But to prospective buyers: caveat emptor - their "best" accommodation is a blanket "no return/exchange." Lesson learned.
I have just checked and it is indeed a difference depending on where you're based. EU and UK residents do get the possibility to return or exchange the items bought from the sale

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tempted by the sale as there's a boot I want that's at a good price but still iffy about Meermin QC and comfort.

LiverFieldie

Reaction score
I posted the below on GYW, and figured I'd re-post it here for anyone having fitting questions on the Meermin HOK last. Obvsly YMMV:

I just pulled a couple shoes out to get a quick, rough reference on overall length relative to well known lasts in the same size. Not insole length, but overall length of the shoe, excluding where the sole/welt extends outwards of the actual body of the shoe (the Meermin's welt is actually pretty close cut, so not a lot of overhang). An actual insole measurement might be better, but I think you can derive what you need to know from the overall length comparison.

[New addition] Tricker's W2298: Size 8UK Fitting 5 - ~11.5" (this last *should* be too wide for me, however, I find the W2298 last works really well for me. It follows the shape of my foot nicely, and doesn't wear as wide as I would guessed; not sure I could do TTS in a W2298 Loafer, but in laced shoes I really like it)

Alden Aberdeen: Size 9DUS - ~11.25" (these are a hair loose for me in volume now as they're fully stretched out, but the length remains good).

Alden Plaza last: Size 9DUS - ~11.5" (I was fitted into Alden Plaza last years ago at the Shoemart by a very knowledgeable salesman, who told me that last in that size is the best Alden fit for me; own multiple pairs and they remain among my favorite fitting shoes)

RM Williams Craftsman: Size 8GUK/AUS - ~11.25" (RMW have been for years also among my favorite fitting shoes and I have owned/own multiple pairs in 8G)

NPS Brogue 002 Last: Size 8GUK - ~11.75" (the NPS/Solovair 002 last held the crown as the longest/most voluminous 8UK shoe I had encountered; I can wear them with an insole and a midweight sock, but they're definitely in clown shoe territory proportionally for me and I have them for sale now).

Meermin HOK blucher: 8UK/9US - ~12.0" or a shade under.

For reference, I put the RMW 8UK into Meermin's size recommendation thingy and it recommended 8UK. But my very unscientific results suggest that the Meermin HOK last runs at least a half size longer than the comps above . I think a 7.5UK would have worked better, but, alas, no exchanges.

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score

GrahamM

Reaction score
Quick question....first ever "better quality" shoes were this pair of meermin loafers. Honestly, I have worn them 6 times (realised I am just not a loafer type), including at two evening parties (so imagine dancing).

Would you expect the leather soles to look like this already? Would you re-sole at this point?

Thanks

Graham

1943347336_20230711_192357_4222244_resized.jpg

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members