• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blastwice

Reaction score
I think if you read my entry more carefully, you’ll find the sorrow I expressed was the boots clear inability to achieve, “an aggressive & interesting patina. Surely they will patina, and I have to say I think they did everything else really well. Just kinda whiffed on a patina monster.

They look unworn in this shot.

Go to a happy hour in these boots and they'll look totally different and that's only one night of wear.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They look unworn in this shot.

Go to a happy hour in these boots and they'll look totally different and that's only one night of wear.
Sure, if I spilled beer all over them. Again, the images make the boots appear much lighter than they actually are in person. I have fifteen pairs of shoes/boots bought specifically for patina. I’m very aware of how leathers patina, as well as which ones patina best, these ain’t it.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The quality of the Norvagese stitch on these is impressive.
E5C42822-FF6B-48C2-8E33-C6E21A2B6A27.jpeg

perseidas

Reaction score
Hey all,
Glad to share with you my first Meermin's shoes. I bought them from a charity auction website for the bargain price of 51$.
Well, I can for now only judge their aesthetics (You will know later why) : they're fantastic, their look is amazing with the Elton last which has an elongated toe. It does not appear they're long at all when wearing them (but indeed they are maybe 1 cm longer than my other round and almond toe shoes)
Until those lines all fine, problem is that, I wore them two times and the pain and discomfort is without comparison. The first three hours are bearable, but longer than that I literally took them off in one occasion and continued driving home shoeless, it's beyond the limits of tolerated squeezing pain.
I know that I should wait some time for them to break in, but I'm in a confusion because all the shoes I wore sized the same size (8 US) in different styles and shapes were not like this. Even if there was a discomfort they broke in fast, and it was an average discomfort, but these, how to describe it ? It's like wearing a tight metal shield on my feet... The leather is exaggeratedly hard, maybe ?!
I need your experience with those shoes if you have some info. I can tolerate wearing them some 2 or 3 more days and hope they'll relax, but more than this I will surely give them to a family member or sell them.
EDIT : The exact part or pain is just below the adelaide broguing (where are the lacets), and I don't think the problem has something to do with my arch dimensions because I don't have exaggeratd high arch and all my other shoes are okay. The second area that cause problem that I only begin to feel after some hours is the inside part of the heel, where I feel a rubbing discomfort, like if my heel is not hold against leather but against a hard structure that just makes is slide.
Meermins.jpg

Last edited:

GuyLab

Reaction score
Hey all,
Glad to share with you my first Meermin's shoes. I bought them from a charity auction website for the bargain price of 51$.
Well, I can for now only judge their aesthetics (You will know later why) : they're fantastic, their look is amazing with the Elton last which has an elongated toe. It does not appear they're long at all when wearing them (but indeed they are maybe 1 cm longer than my other round and almond toe shoes)
Until those lines all fine, problem is that, I wore them two times and the pain and discomfort is without comparison. The first three hours are bearable, but longer than that I literally took them off in one occasion and continued driving home shoeless, it's beyond the limits of tolerated squeezing pain.
I know that I should wait some time for them to break in, but I'm in a confusion because all the shoes I wore sized the same size (8 US) in different styles and shapes were not like this. Even if there was a discomfort they broke in fast, and it was an average discomfort, but these, how to describe it ? It's like wearing a tight metal shield on my feet... The leather is exaggeratedly hard, maybe ?!
I need your experience with those shoes if you have some info. I can tolerate wearing them some 2 or 3 more days and hope they'll relax, but more than this I will surely give them to a family member or sell them.
EDIT : The exact part or pain is just below the adelaide broguing (where are the lacets), and I don't think the problem has something to do with my arch dimensions because I don't have exaggeratd high arch and all my other shoes are okay. The second area that cause problem that I only begin to feel after some hours is the inside part of the heel, where I feel a rubbing discomfort, like if my heel is not hold against leather but against a hard structure that just makes is slide.
View attachment 1818541
Meermin is notorious for their really hard break-in period, I have three pairs from them, a pair of wingtips, a pair of monks on ultraflex and a pair of boots in suede. Boots and monks were really easy to break-in respectively thanks to the supple suede and the ultraflex system, but the wingtips, oh my.
These were my first pair and I was too excited to wear them so I didnt pay much attention to break-in at first. I had horrible blisters in a matter of hours. Meermin's leather is relatively stiff in the first few days, especially since it's also quite thick, and the heel in reinforced with celastic, not leather. Celastic is relatively hard on the heel if it rubs a lot, and it doesn't mould to your feet as much as a leather heel counter, but it will break in a bit nonetheless. My piece of advice is to take it slow, wear them a couple hours indoors for a few days and I think afterwards it should be fine.

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just popping back into the thread to let you know I'm selling these unlined natural CXL chukkas. Great boots, but didn't fit.

Size 9.5UK - HOK last. Like new, tried on inside. $125 shipped in the CONUS (no box though, sorry).

r9vSM7f.jpeg

Imgur album

joman8390

Reaction score
Can anyone post pics and your thoughts on the patina developed by the heritage shell cordovan? All the pics I’ve seen are of it brand new.

thanks!

fox81

Reaction score
I recently received my MTO softcalf loafers, which i got in the G width (hence the MTO).
On receiving the shoes, whilst the box says G width, the shoes appear to be a regular width.

If anyone else has these or other Meermin models in a G width, can you tell me what letter appears in the model stamp inside the tongue of the shoe?

ACLC

Reaction score
Hi all, first time poster. Just received my first pair of Meermins today and thought I’d share.

101527 black calf cap toe boots with double rubber sole in UK 9E (medium width).

Paid total 250 sgd for them including shipping (180 usd) in their recent sale and quite happy with the fit and quality for the price. The Hiro last fits my feet quite well!

Attachments

• 9342B282-35D4-4405-B847-BFF67CA5E4B5.jpeg
    9342B282-35D4-4405-B847-BFF67CA5E4B5.jpeg
    173.7 KB · Views: 138
  • 76D42914-3BD0-4E00-A0F2-8FD4CC618F23.jpeg
    76D42914-3BD0-4E00-A0F2-8FD4CC618F23.jpeg
    200.4 KB · Views: 319
  • B5B54F8C-B8CA-4E04-90F9-AF35BEA60B90.jpeg
    B5B54F8C-B8CA-4E04-90F9-AF35BEA60B90.jpeg
    166.4 KB · Views: 312

milktoast

Reaction score
Recently got a pair of unlined loafers - could anyone recommend some no-show socks that pair well for loafers?

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads