• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it true that the break in period on the Meermin is extensive?
It can be yeah. Finding a last that works well for your feet and using good socks for the break in will help a lot.

apd90700

Reaction score
It can be yeah. Finding a last that works well for your feet and using good socks for the break in will help a lot.
K. Am comparing the entry shoe brands. Looks like for cost, it's split between Skolyx Mallorca, Meermin Mallorca Classic Line, and JF Line [at buy 2 get 1 free].

Findings
  • Cheapest total is JF Line at around $183 and change per pair for 3 pairs.
    • If you like a chiseled square, this last is probably for you.
    • My main detraction from the loafer in particular is the penny strap triangle cut looks somewhat low end, and the strap itself is rather two dimensional.
  • Cheapest per pair individually is Meermin Mallorca at around $195.
    • Looks to be quality in the pictures, nothing major to gripe about here.
    • Long turn around time on orders and long break-in period could be detractions -- as satorialists we recognize that price is a function of fit and finish, if the fit of the shoes takes a while to be comfortable that could in theory detract from the value proposition.
  • Ostensibly highest quality per shoe is Skolyx Mallorca at $218 a pair.
    • Think going to Costco and instead of going with the brand name, you buy the Kirkland brand instead. Same quality with subtle differences in inactive ingredients.
    • Zero break-in period on the loafers sized down one half UK size standard width.
    • Slight bevel to the waist and City Rubber soles make for good beaters at the entry price point.
    • Main detraction here is that the aforementioned City Rubber sole uses a parallel line pattern that as it nears the toe creates a corrogated edge to the appearance.
      • Personally, this bothered me, so I took $0.20 sand paper and after 20 minutes was able to gently smooth the toe edge with a 45 degree sanding pattern.

Last edited:

sicigpat

Reaction score
Thanks. Yes, definitely more on the brown side. Same thing happened with the “olive” shell jumpers I bought last year. They came out great but more on the brown/ copper side than I expected.

trg12

Reaction score
I really hope they do another run of that model and hopefully include ridgeway.

I should’ve done what @stephenaf2003 did and purchase a second pair.

Man, I missed them and I hope they let them return. The bootfluencers launching the shitstorm have in the meantime announced ostmo-exclusive promotions for their subscription service.

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
with wear they'll darken.....and....I don't remember what thread exactly, but another member darkened their taupe-like boots with coffee grounds and they looked great.
This is the post you mentioned:
Last December I bought a pair of Cheaney's Jarrow Tundra Waxy Suede boots, drew with the very nice "tanned" colour as they were shown in their product photos:

View attachment 1581879

The real ones that I received are very, very much lighter in colour, something that I would call a "coffee milkshake" with a lot of milk on it: I was somehow disappointed, as it proved to be harder to combine with my usual outfits.

9f337f57b4f4383bb8e1a5260e58b29a.jpg

Light changes their colour quite a lot, and I wasn't happy with the "milkshake" one...

36fee93b5c2a04847ccbba94d457d84f.jpg

I asked in different forums how to get a darker tone without having to dye them. As I didn't get any suitable answer, I decided to experiment with a DIY home experiment: as what I had in my mind was a darker tone of coffee, why not try with some coffee to purposely "stain" my boots?

Jarrow proceso 1.jpg

Instead of making a dark coffee, I decided to use the grounded coffee beams without water, just rubbing them to see what would result...

Jarrow proceso 2..jpg

It was a "kitchen work" that I repeated a few times after brushing them to remove the excess grounded coffee and, as final intent, I decided to steam them to get some humidity that would reinforce the "staining" process. As a final step, hard brushing and a vacuum cleaner...

The outcome was better than I thought: they acquired a different colour tone, without seeming dyed even though they still lighter than the Cheaney's product images, more of a light polo suede colour:

Jarrow version final 1.jpg

I hope you like my DIY experiment and the final result...

Potatoe

Reaction score
Is it true that the break in period on the Meermin is extensive?
Yes it can be.

The bigger problem though is that even after break in they often still aren't comfortable.

I have 3 pairs that are wearable but not comfortable.

notdos

Reaction score
Their suede stuff seems to break in relatively quickly snd is very comfortable imho. Everything else takes time, blended in rotation with other shoes.

phee

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In terms of break in, I found their shoes, that aren’t boots, are a really rough break in. However, every pair of boots I have from them, and I’ve got a few, have not had a tough break in at all.

Lee7

Reaction score
I just ordered these shoes and I could of sworn I ordered a 10UK because I am a 11US. I sent them a reply to this order confirmation and another response on their ‘contact us’ section on their website.

Has anyone come across an issue like this?…
I don’t know what else I can do because they don’t allow me to cancel or change the order on the website… sigh ??‍♂️

it has not shipped yet.

7BFCCE5F-B7E9-4602-A0EC-75F7899E8A5D.png

Last edited:

ThePhantomHorse

Reaction score
Here's more pic of my marbled shell boots I can't wait for Saturday for a proper wear

Attachments

• 20210518_234145.jpg
    20210518_234145.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 70
  • 20210518_234157.jpg
    20210518_234157.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 71
  • 20210518_234207.jpg
    20210518_234207.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 67
  • 20210518_234220.jpg
    20210518_234220.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 67
  • 20210518_234235.jpg
    20210518_234235.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 63
  • 20210518_234242.jpg
    20210518_234242.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 82
  • 20210518_234256.jpg
    20210518_234256.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 89

Lee7

Reaction score
I just ordered these shoes and I could of sworn I ordered a 10UK because I am a 11US. I sent them a reply to this order confirmation and another response on their ‘contact us’ section on their website.

Has anyone come across an issue like this?…
I don’t know what else I can do because they don’t allow me to cancel or change the order on the website… sigh ??‍♂️

it has not shipped yet.

View attachment 1612046
Well they replied to my change order last night!! They changed it to a 10UK ?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads