Meermin Mallorca Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by asturiano, Dec 5, 2011.

1. MCanavan6

MCanavan6 Well-Known Member

To start my new wardrobe I have decided to purchase 2 pairs of Meermin shoes. The first pair is going to be Black Oxford Captoes and the second is going to be Brown Oxford Captoes (all my other shoes are crap so I am starting from scratch).

I cannot decide between these two Black captoes:
    http://meermin.es/ficha_articulo.php?id=2033#
    http://meermin.es/ficha_articulo.php?id=1925

I am leaning towards the 101273s in Black and then getting the 101198 in Dark Brown so that I do not have the same exact Oxfords in two different colors.

These are the two Dark Brown oxfords I am considering.
    http://meermin.es/ficha_articulo.php?id=2339
    http://meermin.es/ficha_articulo.php?id=2034

For my first two pairs should I go plain captoes or should I get the Dark Browns with the Semi Broguing to mix it up?

2. FlaneurNYC

FlaneurNYC Senior member

If I had to choose two from that particular line up, I'd get the 101198 in black and the 12153 in brown. But a lot has to do with how you'll wear them.

3. FlaneurNYC

FlaneurNYC Senior member

Nice. They look navy in that top pic on my monitor.... Hmmmm...

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012

4. Romp

Romp Affiliate Vendor

its your monitor. black as black here.

5. FlaneurNYC

FlaneurNYC Senior member

^ I like the idea of a navy pair...

6. BrizzleCizzle

BrizzleCizzle Senior member

Hey guys - I wanted to drop in a quick question based off of some comments in another thread. They were "ranking" shoe brands amongst each other and listed Meermin as a step up from Allen Edmonds, on par with Crockett and Jones, and maybe a step above Alden. I've just gone through and looked at the materials and prices, and they seem pretty comparable to Allen Edmonds (even the linea maestro). Can someone with extensive experience with Meermin (and/or Carmina) weigh in on if the prices are just deceiving, or how they stack up against the quality and materials of some of American brands like Allen Edmonds and Alden (acknowledging that Alden is often, if not always(?), a handmade shoe and thus conceivably a true step up from AE)? Thanks guys.

7. MCanavan6

MCanavan6 Well-Known Member

Most likely with suits, or at least dress pants/dress shirt. These would be strictly business/work shoes which I would alternate throughout the week. I assume I should go with 2 pairs of Oxfords and then branch off into Bluchers, etc? I do like the semi broguing in the dark brown (to mix it up) and the plain captoes in black, I think that is what I'm leaning towards.

8. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

I am truly sorry that you have been given so much wrong information.

9. BrizzleCizzle

So where does Meermin stack up against the likes of AE and Alden in your opinion? And I apologize, there was a typo in my original post: I forgot to type "Alden" at the end of a sentence, and it looks like I"m saying Meermin is a step up from Crockett and Jones. I'll be fixing it shortly.

10. razl

razl Senior member

The white balance is off a bit, definitely a subtle blue cast to the pic (but still black shoes)

Your monitor's gamut is choked :slapfight:

Monday night vino again; just prodding, carry on.

11. razl

razl Senior member

I may be being overly critical, but doesn't the brogueing's edges look .... rough? Err, maybe rough is the wrong word; unrefined?

12. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

Just 3 pages back we came to the conclusion that ranking brands is kinda pointless because of subjective measures of beauty.

If you want to rank them based on quality, you need to understand for yourself how shoes are traditionally constructed. For that I suggest you search for threads about shoe construction. If you like you can PM me and i'll link you some.

13. BrizzleCizzle

1) That's exactly what I want to avoid, subjective measures of quality based on beauty. I'm looking for objective measures of quality based on construction.
    2) I understand traditional shoe construction. What I don't have access to is a Meermin shoe nor do I have the ability/desire to translate Meermin's page to identify their construction process.

Which is why I wanted to ask if someone with experience actually handling Meermin, or familiar with their processes, could reference known American brands when ranking quality, because the price point is at the very least, deceiving. Thanks for helping me to clarify, and if you have links to someone discussing this exact topic (or even post count in this thread), please PM them to me.

14. Romp

Romp Affiliate Vendor

if anyone wanted to compare the suede options at meermin ive taken a pic of the samples ive got for my next MTO

[​IMG]

15. bibs

bibs Senior member

Romp is the 3rd one snuff ?