• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Threads of Apollo We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Threads of Apollo, a sustainable leather goods company based out of Vancouver, BC, Canada, making premium, made-to-order, water-repellent leather jackets and gloves. .Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Ziqianzhu

Reaction score
For any Canadians wondering.

I paid $187 CDN for the shoes
$19.11 for shipping
$24 for taxes , 0 duty
And $11.30 for UPS brokerage fee

Comes out to $242.42 CDN dollars.
Meermin has improved a lot on international orders. I ordered two pairs of Meermins 4 years ago. They shipped with DHL and DHL charged me CAD 140 on duties. Since that, I have been super cautious with orders from outside Canada.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Meermin has improved a lot on international orders. I ordered two pairs of Meermins 4 years ago. They shipped with DHL and charged me CAD 140. Since that, I have been super cautious with orders from outside Canada.
$140 for? Shipping? Taxes? Duty?

If meermin did free shipping to the USA. I could go that route as I have family in the USA. But I notice they still charge for shipping.

Ziqianzhu

Reaction score
$140 for? Shipping? Taxes? Duty?

If meermin did free shipping to the USA. I could go that route as I have family in the USA. But I notice they still charge for shipping.
I asked DHL to decompose the fee. As I can recall, they charged around 20 CAD for brokerage and the rest is tax and duties.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I asked DHL to decompose the fee. As I can recall, they charged around 20 CAD for brokerage and the rest is tax and duties.
They shipped my order via UPS. Not sure if it makes a difference by carrier. I wonder if they use usps as an alternative. I know FedEx and ups aren't too bad with their brokerage fees.

That's ridiculous that you had to pay $140. It's difficult to purchase quality dress shoes in Toronto, and I keep reading great things about Meermin. So I figured I'd give them a shot. Even though, I've been wearing socks and no shoes for months now

lfzhao5

Reaction score
I got mine shipped with UPS, and got hit with a 150 CAD dollar duty. When I called to self declare, that duty got magically waived, and I only had to pay like 30 bucks for tax + handling fee for UPS to drop off my shoes.

Wait, but there is more. A month later got an invoice from UPS for the duty I didn't pay.

Let me tell you, it was so difficult to get them to remove that invoice. Took me 4 hours of calling, went through 6 fing departments to get to the person with the authority to believe my story, and the catch is, I have everything in email as proof that duty was waived by UPS due to brakeage error. I'm never using UPS again.

We need to get Meermin to ship only USPS. UPS needs to burn in hell, and go bankrupt.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got mine shipped with UPS, and got hit with a 150 CAD dollar duty. When I called to self declare, that duty got magically waived, and I only had to pay like 30 bucks for tax + handling fee for UPS to drop off my shoes.

Wait, but there is more. A month later got an invoice from UPS for the duty I didn't pay.

Let me tell you, it was so difficult to get them to remove that invoice. Took me 4 hours of calling, went through 6 fing departments to get to the person with the authority to believe my story, and the catch is, I have everything in email as proof that duty was waived by UPS due to brakeage error. I'm never using UPS again.

We need to get Meermin to ship only USPS. UPS needs to burn in hell, and go bankrupt.
That's terrible. I wonder why meermin doesn't use usps. I'll have to inquire

lfzhao5

Reaction score
That's terrible. I wonder why meermin doesn't use usps. I'll have to inquire
The recent MTO, I got Meermin to ship with USPS, but If it comes with UPS again, I will get my credit card company involved.

I hate UPS with passion. 4 hour of my life is alot of money.

Ziqianzhu

Reaction score
The recent MTO, I got Meermin to ship with USPS, but If it comes with UPS again, I will get my credit card company involved.

I hate UPS with passion. 4 hour of my life is alot of money.
This morning, I had a notification from UPS for duties of one shipment and I paid it immediately. This afternoon, a UPS guy knocked on my door to deliver the package while I was in an important meeting. My wife answered and he asked my wife to pay the duties again. My meeting finished earlier than my wife made the payment. I told this guy the payment was made, and the guy asked for receipt. While I was looking for the receipt online, he said he didn’t have time and left. What poor information system and process.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any signs of the Marbled Shell MTO's in the wild yet? Still waiting...........................

Crizzlelovesyou

Reaction score
Any signs of the Marbled Shell MTO's in the wild yet? Still waiting...........................
They were supposed to ship last week or this week which is now over. I asked Meermin for an updated ship date and haven't heard back yet.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Styleforum x S.E.H Kelly Balmacaan: Choose the Fabric

• standard 5 — light and dark brown

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • standard 7 — dark brown and charcoal

Votes: 17 13.7%
  • wide 1 — charcoal and blue-grey

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • wide 3 — barley and brown

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • wide 5 — charcoal and dark navy