• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mihai B.

Reaction score
Off to the latest topic, would like to bring in discussion the leather tanneries that Meermin is using to make the shoes.

I see that most used leathers are from tannery du Puy and D'annonay. Anyone can explain if there are some major difference between these two?
Are they specialized on a certain type of leather tanning?

During the long time that many of you used Meermin shoes, could you say that one type of leather is better than another one?

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
Off to the latest topic, would like to bring in discussion the leather tanneries that Meermin is using to make the shoes.

I see that most used leathers are from tannery du Puy and D'annonay. Anyone can explain if there are some major difference between these two?
Are they specialized on a certain type of leather tanning?

During the long time that many of you used Meermin shoes, could you say that one type of leather is better than another one?
I like when manufacturers name the tannery. They do it for selfish reasons as well of course as certain brands are more recognisable or associated with prestige makers.

can’t speak to those two tanneries specifically but each will have a speciality or niche, like CF Stead at renowned for suedes and kudu for example.

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like when manufacturers name the tannery. They do it for selfish reasons as well of course as certain brands are more recognisable or associated with prestige makers.

can’t speak to those two tanneries specifically but each will have a speciality or niche, like CF Stead at renowned for suedes and kudu for example.
Some brands, such as Cheaney, don't disclose that information: I have asked Herringshoes about them, but they responded that the factory never tells with which tanneries they work with.

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
Some brands, such as Cheaney, don't disclose that information: I have asked Herringshoes about them, but they responded that the factory never tells with which tanneries they work with.
Quite rare for the English brands en masse to name a tannery.
It’s very much an international phenomenon. The Asian boot makers do it to attract western buyers as the local leather isn’t usually up to scratch quality wise. I
Each maker has their own reasons but don’t think I can recall Uk makers ever giving away the game as it were!!

jayvee

Reaction score
Here are my cognac shinki shell NST boots after roughly 10- 15 ish wears. The top layer seems to be flaking off in stress areas on the toe box and under the laces. I gave them a good go with the horse hair brush and saphir cordovan cream but no improvement. Meermin is aware so hopefully they will rectify.

C56F6575-B59D-4AAD-9ECB-D67D82D40801.jpeg
6A85EA72-F39F-4073-A361-A7D0E7DE4119.jpeg
6A85EA72-F39F-4073-A361-A7D0E7DE4119.jpeg

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here are my cognac shinki shell NST boots after roughly 10- 15 ish wears. The top layer seems to be flaking off in stress areas on the toe box and under the laces. I gave them a good go with the horse hair brush and saphir cordovan cream but no improvement. Meermin is aware so hopefully they will rectify.

View attachment 1496836 View attachment 1496837 View attachment 1496837

Hello, I had a similar issue with a pair of Church's Grafton. Maybe the following link might help.

https://www.styleforum.net/threads/...nce-and-advice.526196/page-2178#post-10372291

Good luck

Freoguitar

Reaction score

View attachment 1496836 View attachment 1496837 View attachment 1496837
I've had a similar though much less severe thing happen to my PTBs.

It might not be obvious on these photos as I just applied Colored Saphir Cordovan Cream Polish.

It is more obvious at the fold points after use and currently, I can manage it with the cream polish. Wasn't sure whether this is normal.

I've noticed Aldens and other Horveen Cordovan shoes seem to darken at the folds after a brush to get rid of the bloom.

Maybe it's a Shinki thing but after a brush without using cream, the folds seem to lighten on Meermin Cordovan shoes.

IMG_5140.jpg
IMG_5141.jpg

Last edited:

Meermin

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Dear @Meermin,

How I miss thee in our email thread. You have not responded in several days. Even though you have been obstinate in your responses, I do miss them. You led me astray and now will not take responsibility for your actions. You should take back your very big shoes and provide me a full refund because it was your fault. At a minimum, you should allow me to return the shoe trees, under your normal return policy, to minimize my loss in this terrible encounter.

I await your reply.

Fondly,
A potential previous customer.
Hello there Sir.
There is no problem in returning the shoe trees under our normal return policy.

MEERMIN team.

Rimaarts

Reaction score
Hi there Sir!
We have something in mind , but not yet open for discussion as we're dealing with the legal documents.
Have a good weekend.
would legal documents would be less for example for penny loafer with crocodile strap? or Adelaide with crocodile facing?

Rimaarts

Reaction score
question guys.. I have a Hiro double monk boots, love them but left toe stiffener rubs my big toe bloody! (even after 2 seasons)... boots are comfortable any other way and I do like Hiro last... I do think half size bigger will be too big! what last should I look next? Rui has too big toe box and Elton is a bit too pointy...

Meermin

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
would legal documents would be less for example for penny loafer with crocodile strap? or Adelaide with crocodile facing?
Hello there
No, the documents are exactly the same, we are working on it.

Meermin

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
question guys.. I have a Hiro double monk boots, love them but left toe stiffener rubs my big toe bloody! (even after 2 seasons)... boots are comfortable any other way and I do like Hiro last... I do think half size bigger will be too big! what last should I look next? Rui has too big toe box and Elton is a bit too pointy...
It sounds that ROIS last is what you are looking for.
Check it out and let us know.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads