• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JBMarce21

Reaction score
Here are my Meermin semi brogues on the New Rey last (UK 8) next to my Lowndes on the 348 last (UK 7.5):

Even though the New Rey is a half size bigger it's still 1-2 mm shorter than the 348. You definitely need to size up half. The last is a bit lower and narrower than the 348, which suits me fine as I have slender feet (low instep, narrow heels). It fits me better than the 348. I just wish the toe box wasn't quite so narrow — I'd like just a little more wiggle room and the last might be just a little too pointy for my taste.
Wanted to bring this back up real quick... I am finalizing my MTO Order with Pepe, and I am trying to decide between the New Rey and the Ama. How much narrower is the new rey compared to the 348? I saw that measurement you had for the length being slightly shorter, but I am curious as to the width as well. If you could give me a quick measurement (I am a half size below you but I think I will be OK) that would be amazing. Thank you!!!

jko

Reaction score
I have no way of measuring the insole but the outsole is about 3 mm narrower. The welt is also narrower on the New Rey so I'm not sure if this is of much help. I have no experience in the Ama last.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to check with you guys. I'm interested in the New Rey last. From what I've been reading one should size up 1/2 size from ones C&J 348 last, right? I'm a UK7,5 on C&J 348 last. Should I order UK8 on Meermin New Rey last? Thanks in advance.

JBMarce21

Reaction score
Just wanted to check with you guys. I'm interested in the New Rey last. From what I've been reading one should size up 1/2 size from ones C&J 348 last, right? I'm a UK7,5 on C&J 348 last. Should I order UK8 on Meermin New Rey last? Thanks in advance.
Yup, I just went with a new rey for my MTO- I wear a UK 7 on the 348, went 7.5 for new rey, so 8 for u. see the picture from JKO above.

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Romp, can you comment on the width and the instep of these compared with your C&J 337's? And are your C&J's also captoe oxfords? I can get my feet inside my C&J Belgraves, but wouldn't mind a bit of extra width and a higher instep.
Sorry jsut saw this

After wearing them in i can say the Hiro is slightly wider around the arch + ball of foot vs the 337

I have to tighten my laces all the way for a snug fit.

My olfe MTO's should arrive in the post today/tomorrow for comparsison

JBMarce21

Reaction score
Gents, For those of you who have bought the RTW linea maestro line, what is the consensus in terms of quality compared to carmina and to crockett & jones, two of the favorites here on SF? Through reading these posts, I have been seeing a mixed bag; some say just below, others on par, but everyone is raving about the value for the cost of the shoes.

As far as I can tell, the construction is exactly as good. Some have been saying the leather not quite at the same level, but those RTW linea maestros right next to the C&J Lowndes look pretty damn close. I honestly feel like if they were more expensive, there would be no question!

Now there is no question about the value here, that they are an amazing deal. The only follow up question is how good of a deal are we talking, how much value?
Are we getting $500, $600 shoes for $260? I have no doubt that they are of better quality (not to mention look) than Allen Edmonds, and they are less expensive, and those are also SF approved.

So if you would put your two cents in for comparison... and again, this is only an opinion... but with 1 being nowhere near as good as carmina/c&j benchgrade, and 10 being as good as either of those, please give me your thoughts!

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

not sure. the boots are 1/4 inches longer than the longest measurement i received.

Inaccurate information is pretty sucky.

Now that you've handled them in person would you consider them to worth the price for shoes/boots to wear casually?

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Just saw these on tumblr and I think they may be it.

New Rey last... quick size check
8.5 Carmina simpson
8.5 Lobb 7000
9E GG
US 9.5 in everything

9 in New Rey, right?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Spoo,

I'm an 8E in John Lobb's 7000
8.5 in Edward Green's 202, 606, 82, and 888 (though the last is a touch tight)
8 in a few C&J lasts that I'm too lazy to check right now. One is certainly the 337, however.
9D in almost everything else.

My Meermin Hiro lasts are on an 8. I've heard people say you should size up for New Rey, but I have no experience with any lasts besides Hiro.

For what it's worth, I think it's better to get sizing advice from Meermin. They know their lasts quite well.

Last edited:

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't even like 'em that much.

It's just that I can't pass up a bargain or getting something at a reduced price.

$550ish shoes (higher euro exchange rates) for $200 :eek:

Just saw these on tumblr and I think they may be it.
New Rey last... quick size check
8.5 Carmina simpson
8.5 Lobb 7000
9E GG
US 9.5 in everything
9 in New Rey, right?

That seems right although I'd check with Meermin

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sorry jsut saw this

After wearing them in i can say the Hiro is slightly wider around the arch + ball of foot vs the 337

I have to tighten my laces all the way for a snug fit.

Thank you, Romp. That sounds good. You used the same size for the Meermin's, right? And your 337-shoes are toecap oxford as well?

Might be a good option for me to get some (cheap :)) black toecap oxfords.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

For what it's worth, I think it's better to get sizing advice from Meermin. They know their lasts quite well.

listen to this man. this is the key to success.

Bertel

Reaction score
They didn't in my case - although reference sizes/widths in other brands and foot measurements were given, the recommended last (Vil in UK11) was too narrow and half a size too large. So it's better to double check. It's good that there's plenty of information and comparison details here for that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads