Meermin Mallorca Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by asturiano, Dec 5, 2011.

1. JBMarce21

JBMarce21 Senior member

Wanted to bring this back up real quick... I am finalizing my MTO Order with Pepe, and I am trying to decide between the New Rey and the Ama. How much narrower is the new rey compared to the 348? I saw that measurement you had for the length being slightly shorter, but I am curious as to the width as well. If you could give me a quick measurement (I am a half size below you but I think I will be OK) that would be amazing. Thank you!!!

2. JBMarce21

JBMarce21 Senior member

Also, if anyone has a comparable picture with the Ama Last, that would be great! Thanks in advance fellas

3. jko

jko Senior member

I have no way of measuring the insole but the outsole is about 3 mm narrower. The welt is also narrower on the New Rey so I'm not sure if this is of much help. I have no experience in the Ama last.

4. JBMarce21

JBMarce21 Senior member

Thanks JKO!

5. DonRaphael

DonRaphael Senior member

Just wanted to check with you guys. I'm interested in the New Rey last. From what I've been reading one should size up 1/2 size from ones C&J 348 last, right? I'm a UK7,5 on C&J 348 last. Should I order UK8 on Meermin New Rey last? Thanks in advance.

6. JBMarce21

JBMarce21 Senior member

Yup, I just went with a new rey for my MTO- I wear a UK 7 on the 348, went 7.5 for new rey, so 8 for u. see the picture from JKO above.

7. Romp

Romp Affiliate Vendor

Sorry jsut saw this

After wearing them in i can say the Hiro is slightly wider around the arch + ball of foot vs the 337

I have to tighten my laces all the way for a snug fit.

My olfe MTO's should arrive in the post today/tomorrow for comparsison

8. JBMarce21

JBMarce21 Senior member

Gents, For those of you who have bought the RTW linea maestro line, what is the consensus in terms of quality compared to carmina and to crockett & jones, two of the favorites here on SF? Through reading these posts, I have been seeing a mixed bag; some say just below, others on par, but everyone is raving about the value for the cost of the shoes.

As far as I can tell, the construction is exactly as good. Some have been saying the leather not quite at the same level, but those RTW linea maestros right next to the C&J Lowndes look pretty damn close. I honestly feel like if they were more expensive, there would be no question!

Now there is no question about the value here, that they are an amazing deal. The only follow up question is how good of a deal are we talking, how much value?
    Are we getting $500, $600 shoes for $260? I have no doubt that they are of better quality (not to mention look) than Allen Edmonds, and they are less expensive, and those are also SF approved.

So if you would put your two cents in for comparison... and again, this is only an opinion... but with 1 being nowhere near as good as carmina/c&j benchgrade, and 10 being as good as either of those, please give me your thoughts!

9. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Inaccurate information is pretty sucky.

Now that you've handled them in person would you consider them to worth the price for shoes/boots to wear casually?

10. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

[​IMG]

Just saw these on tumblr and I think they may be it.

New Rey last... quick size check
    8.5 Carmina simpson
    8.5 Lobb 7000
    9E GG
    US 9.5 in everything

9 in New Rey, right?

11. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Spoo,

I'm an 8E in John Lobb's 7000
    8.5 in Edward Green's 202, 606, 82, and 888 (though the last is a touch tight)
    8 in a few C&J lasts that I'm too lazy to check right now. One is certainly the 337, however.
    9D in almost everything else.

My Meermin Hiro lasts are on an 8. I've heard people say you should size up for New Rey, but I have no experience with any lasts besides Hiro.

For what it's worth, I think it's better to get sizing advice from Meermin. They know their lasts quite well.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012

12. stevent

stevent Senior member

$550ish shoes (higher euro exchange rates) for $200 :eek:

That seems right although I'd check with Meermin

13. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

Thank you, Romp. That sounds good. You used the same size for the Meermin's, right? And your 337-shoes are toecap oxford as well?

Might be a good option for me to get some (cheap :)) black toecap oxfords.

14. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

listen to this man. this is the key to success.

15. Bertel

Bertel Senior member

They didn't in my case - although reference sizes/widths in other brands and foot measurements were given, the recommended last (Vil in UK11) was too narrow and half a size too large. So it's better to double check. It's good that there's plenty of information and comparison details here for that.