• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Longwings

VaNeT

Reaction score
Is it any chance I can return and get refund for this MTO loafers?
Both shoes have gap above welt join, at one shoe it's almost unnoticeable, but at another it's like 5 mm deep, 2 mm height and has something inside. Toe part of sole is curved at left shoe.

Attachments

• IMG_4290.JPG
    IMG_4290.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_4292.JPG
    IMG_4292.JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_4293.JPG
    IMG_4293.JPG
    331 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_4296.JPG
    IMG_4296.JPG
    352.2 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_4298.JPG
    IMG_4298.JPG
    241 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_4299.JPG
    IMG_4299.JPG
    228.4 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_4301.JPG
    IMG_4301.JPG
    318.7 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_4303.JPG
    IMG_4303.JPG
    265.9 KB · Views: 150

jamie411

Reaction score
Not sure if they’ll pay return shipping for those, but worth a shot. I had a pair of suede unlined loafers where the pair Looked completely different from one another - one had a super shaggy nap to the suede and the other had almost no nap. It was ridiculous and glaringly obvious, and they still wouldn’t pay for return shipping. Good luck!

nerator

Reaction score
Unfortunately, not the case for me..

My Shinki cherry shell cordovan commando boots arrived yesterday:
The toe area on each shoe has a damage to the leather, kind of a speckle.
I kind of expected this to be honest, since this model was a GMTO, so I knew it had to be a factory second, or a return of some kind.
Will try to use some Saphir neutral shell cream to even it out.

Overall, for $365 I can't complain too much... the cherry color does have a nice redish tone to it, so hopefully it will develop a nice patina. And I mainly wanted this to be a beater pair anyway, for casual wear and so on.
Also, the HOK last has a nice and comfortable fit.

View attachment 1438273
I have the same boots and I don't like how they done the two sides lace up with big gap in beetwen on the throat of the shoes. On their pics below it looks much better. Laces, how it is mention above, really short, 120 cm only, I had to buy new laces 135 cm.
1597654842744.png

Just add to my JR leather sole 1,5 mm sticks on soles and Triumph toe plates.

Attachments

• IMG_20200725_153953.jpg
    IMG_20200725_153953.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the same boots and I don't like how they done the two sides lace up with big gap in beetwen on the throat of the shoes. On their pics below it looks much better.

If I understand what you are describing, that "big gap" is due to the way that your feet fit into the boots.

To put it another way - it's not the design of the boots, it's the design of your feet.

xyzzy_j

Reaction score
Hey, all. Add me to the list of idiots who's going to ask for a Meermin size recommendation using a crappy, jumbled-together combination of other shoe sizes.

I want to order an Oxford made on the Rois last. Here's what you have to go on:
  • My normal sneaker size (Stan Smiths rn) is US 10
  • I have a pair of high quality thrifted Oxfords in EU size 43, which are slightly too small
  • Thrifted made in Italy Hugo Boss brogues in a 9.5 (presumably UK but I don't actually know) which fit me reasonably well
  • Florsheim loafers in a 9 (nothing to tell whether that's US or UK) which fit me nigh on perfectly.
  • Salomon hiking boots in a UK 9, EUR 43 1/3, and US 9.5, which are perfect.
I know that's a lunatic and disparate collection of data to work with but it's the best that I can do right now. The more I read it the dumber it is. I have a large number of shoes but the vast majority of them are thrifted, so their sizes and brands mostly aren't obvious. If there's any information you might need (want the Japanese size of the hiking boots?) on top of this, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

I recognise that I should get measured up with a Brannock device and save you some the trouble but I'm not going to be able to do that until at least Friday, and I'm sure you all appreciate the challenge ;)

nerator

Reaction score
If I understand what you are describing, that "big gap" is due to the way that your feet fit into the boots.
To put it another way - it's not the design of the boots, it's the design of your feet.
Not certainly in that way. My feets are very standard, with normal instep and small size (7,5UK). It's not about my feet position into the boots (for me fit is comfartable), it's about construction itself. This applies not only to boots, but to derbys too. Please see the difference with my last Meermin MTO Norwegian split toe Willow and Crockett&Jones in Tan. I noticed this problem in some models with laces. My opinion, Meermin made both side of shoe quarters too short and this does not allow lace them up closer.
meermin.jpg

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is no rule that I’m aware of that states that the two sides should meet or come close to meeting. Maybe it’s just a stylistic difference that happens not to be your preference?
I tend to prefer when eye stays don’t meet. I think it’s AE strands that look weird to me because the lace holes are so close to the edges which invariably meet, making the width of the exposed laces really narrow.

nerator

Reaction score
I'm not telling about some unwritten rules, but I think gap should not be more than 1,0-1,5 cm otherwise it's looks grubby. Some Meermin models have 2 cm and even more. Boots looks ugly. Member's photo for instance. I guess this gap may vary from model to model, but on factory stock photo above, it looks not so bad. In fact it looks like this. My main idea is that laces should not show much through from underneath.
1.jpg

Last edited:

WSB17

Reaction score
I'm not telling about some unwritten rules, but I think gap should not be more than 1,0-1,5 cm otherwise it's looks grubby. Some Meermin models have 2 cm and even more. Boots looks ugly. Member's photo for instance. I guess this gap may vary from model to model, but on factory stock photo above, it looks not so bad. In fact it looks like this. My main idea is that laces should not show much through from underneath.
View attachment 1442831

I hear you on this..
I had to buy longer laces as well, and even then I'm not actually lacing them to the very end.

Danitch

Reaction score
View attachment 1442831
This is a semi-dress boots, there should be a gap.
Look at any viberg.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads