• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Coffandcig

Reaction score
Yes, very light weight. I agree, it was a bit surprising. They are about the same as Allen Edmonds in terms of weight. My Alden and Crockett & Jones boots are heavier. They were a bit shorter than I expected as well. For some reason they seemed a big larger and heavier in the photos. Not good or bad just not quite what I expected.

The burgundy pair, which is Shinki Hikaku has micro-creases in certain areas. I am not used to that with shell cordovan. It almost looks like calf leather in those areas. I wonder if anyone else’s does that or if it is just a fluke on my pair.

The cigar pair, which I think is Rocado doesn’t have the micro-creases and is a stunning shade of brown. Overall I really like both pairs of boots, but if I had to make a suggestion it would be for them to do a better job around the storm welt. Mine look a bit haggard in certain areas, but fortunately it would be hard for anyone else to notice while wearing them.

They both fit great! I went a half size smaller than my normal UK size (8E down to 7.5E) which is a size down from my Alden Barrie size (8.5D US to 7.5E UK). I am very happy with the new HOK last. The shape of the last is really nice. They fit my feet well. I think it is their best looking last, for boots at least. Definitely a bit sleeker than I expected, but still roomy. The inside couldn’t be done better. The leather they used to line the boots is amazing and very comfortable right out of the box! The soles and heels are also very nice quality.

Overall I am happy with them. I probably won't keep both pairs as I purchased another pair of boots from Alden while I was waiting for these. It took almost 4 months since I ordered the cigar pair. They gave me a free large brush and dauber for the delay which was nice.
Dude. The burgundy Shinki creases like horsebutt. I'm actually pretty pissed off about that. I've stated before that I'm done with Meermin and this reinforces my opinion. I really like HOK last but I ordered shell not horsebutt. And the storm welt is ****; I can move it with my fingers. Overall they're good walking boots but I could have saved $400 by not buying them. There's nothing outstanding about them.

Last edited:

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
Dude. The burgundy Shinki creases like horsebutt. I'm actually pretty pissed off about that. I've stated before that I'm done with Meermin and this reinforces my opinion. I really like HOK last but I ordered shell not horsebutt. And the storm welt is ****; I can move it with my fingers. Overall their good walking boots but I could have saved $400 by not buying them. There's nothing outstanding about them.
I’ve not had Shinki cordovan before
and full disclosure am no expert on cordovan in general. Not sure how it’s supposed to look. I’ve horse hide Viberg boots and these are far removed from that. The cordovan is a lot softer than I thought it would be and the calf like feel is better for me as I don’t like breaking boots in. My storm welt is the same alas as you two gents, I don’t think it affects the water resistance of the boot so I’ll let it pass.

Overall we’ve all had an odd experience with the delays etc. I love the colour so these are keepers form me and with the rotation they’ll be in I think they’ll last a good while, eventually I’ll probably resole with a Ridgeway and use as a proper winter warrior.

Agree that the last is a success. The fit for me is great, but that’s subjective.

Coffandcig

Reaction score
Dude. The burgundy Shinki creases like horsebutt. I'm actually pretty pissed off about that. I've stated before that I'm done with Meermin and this reinforces my opinion. I really like HOK last but I ordered shell not horsebutt.
I’ve not had Shinki cordovan before
and full disclosure am no expert on cordovan in general. Not sure how it’s supposed to look. I’ve horse hide Viberg boots and these are far removed from that. The cordovan is a lot softer than I thought it would be and the calf like feel is better for me as I don’t like breaking boots in. My storm welt is the same alas as you two gents, I don’t think it affects the water resistance of the boot so I’ll let it pass.

Overall we’ve all had an odd experience with the delays etc. I love the colour so these are keepers form me and with the rotation they’ll be in I think they’ll last a good while, eventually I’ll probably resole with a Ridgeway and use as a proper winter warrior.

Agree that the last is a success. The fit for me is great, but that’s subjective.
My brown wingtip boots are Shinki and roll like shell. These aren't shell.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I really wish the blue of this was brighter. as it is they're basically black. Oh well.
15730764100023642960672565209838.jpg

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Darkkp

Reaction score
Can anyone here comment on the Hok last compared to the Alden Barrie last?

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
Only Alden I have is a boot fit shoe (if that makes sense) which is a US 9.5 uK 9. I took 9 in the HOK and fits fine. It’s a very attractive last, a lot sleeker than it appears in pictures.

I take a 9 in Trickers 4497s, C and
J if that’s of any help (uk 9!).

Skelnik

Reaction score

Similar in my opinion. I went 1 size down from my Barrie size and the HOK fits perfectly. 8.5D Barrie = 7.5E HOK for me.

Darkkp

Reaction score
Only Alden I have is a boot fit shoe (if that makes sense) which is a US 9.5 uK 9. I took 9 in the HOK and fits fine. It’s a very attractive last, a lot sleeker than it appears in pictures.

I take a 9 in Trickers 4497s, C and
J if that’s of any help (uk 9!).
I don’t have an Trickers boots, but thanks for the feedback.

Darkkp

Reaction score
Similar in my opinion. I went 1 size down from my Barrie size and the HOK fits perfectly. 8.5D Barrie = 7.5E HOK for me.
Thank you for the feedback. Do you happen to also have any hiro lasted shoes as well? If yes what size do you wear in the hiro last?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads