• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

aj805

Reaction score
Can anyone comment on how the "city rubber" sole performs on ice and snow relative to Dainite or leather soles?

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your the man to ask about this, what should we expect with the cordovan release this next few weeks, Shinki Cordovan boot. How would you say their quality compares to some of your (admittedly more expensive) boots?

Looking forward to the arrival as never owned Meermin before yet not a huge cordovan fan.

I’ve got several pairs of Meermin Shinki shell, and a few of the Italian shell maker Meermin uses as well? They are fine, I did have to put in some work moisturizing them.l, they were all quite dry initially. I’ve seen folks say they are up Horween standards, but I would say the Meermin shell doesn’t quite get there. However, I feel the Meermin are well worth the money paid.

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
I’ve got several pairs of Meermin Shinki shell, and a few of the Italian shell maker Meermin uses as well? They are fine, I did have to put in some work moisturizing them.l, they were all quite dry initially. I’ve seen folks say they are up Horween standards, but I would say the Meermin shell doesn’t quite get there. However, I feel the Meermin are well worth the money paid.
Sounds in line with my Trickers shell which derives from Italy. Was dry initially but looks good now after some conditioning . Climate is pretty wet here so not sure how much wear they’ll get as can’t be bothered buffing night and day!

Thanks for the reply and will post pics upon their arrival which is scheduled for end of this month.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I semi want a pair of shearling boots for the maybe one day a year I'd get to wear them in Atlanta just to be able to say I have a pair. But here's a semi-stupid question: do you still need socks with shearling?

I’m probably not the person to ask about sock-less because I don’t ever wear shoes without socks.

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
Can anyone comment on how the "city rubber" sole performs on ice and snow relative to Dainite or leather soles?
Can’t speak to the specific merits but it’ll be in between I’d think. More practical/secure under foot than leather and not as robust or hardy as dainite. It’s intended as a wet weather alternate to leather on dressier boots and shoes.

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I semi want a pair of shearling boots for the maybe one day a year I'd get to wear them in Atlanta just to be able to say I have a pair. But here's a semi-stupid question: do you still need socks with shearling?
Of course you do: socks are mostly for hygiene purposes, your feet sweat and you don't want that moisture to stay in your boots.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yeah but then you don't feel that sweet sweet shearling on your feet.

Don't tell me yall dudes wear undershirts, too

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FWIW Comipel is the Italian tannery for shell.

josef1

Reaction score
Hello!

Any experiences with Meermins Chelsea boots in HIRO?

Looking to get these but I'm not sure if i should get them in my usual oxford size of 7UK or half size down to my loafer size of 6.5UK? The lack of lacing makes me think to half size down but then it being a boot wrapping around your ankles makes me think to stay at 7UK for these. Any suggestions?

Buffon.bj

Reaction score
I feel that the Hiro last is pretty small-ish, so I would not size down for them :) It is pretty snug around the heel and the instep, which should help in a Chelsea boot without any lacing.

Skelnik

Reaction score
Looks like some people have already received their Shinki shell cordovan service boots. Has anyone on here received them?

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
Looks like some people have already received their Shinki shell cordovan service boots. Has anyone on here received them?
What?

Haven’t had mine and think I was the first order and I emailed them last week for an update and was told end of September...

Skelnik

Reaction score
What?

Haven’t had mine and think I was the first order and I emailed them last week for an update and was told end of September...

There is already one listed on eBay. They look great but there are only 3 photos. I’m anxiously awaiting mine and wasn’t expecting them to go out for at least a couple of weeks so I was surprised to see that someone got theirs already. Here’s the listing if you want to see them.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads