STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Meermin Mallorca Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by asturiano, Dec 5, 2011.

1. ERok32

ERok32 Well-Known Member

I’m wondering when they will be offered in the GMTO

2. ERok32

ERok32 Well-Known Member

Captoe
    Quarter brogue
    Double monk
    Wholecut
    Single monk

3. am55

am55 Distinguished Member

The unlined tan loafers have arrived. Well, very impressive, $30 for Spain to Asia in 3 days. I don't think our post office is that fast or cheap. Go UPS!

Total price was USD 220. It's OK for a pair of new loafers, not exceptionally cheap, I think for this amount you can get a pair of decent used Edward Greens with a bit of hunting. But who wants used.

The colour was better than expected. I do not know what pre-shrunk means, but the leather has a bit more depth as a result. It's softer (obviously) and less dry than my (Meermin) monks in full grain.

The last is RON, I take the same size in HIRO yet this one already feels more comfortable. The unlined, soft leather stretches willingly but as you can see from the photos, my wide toe box is not sticking out (as it feels like it might from some of the other MTOs whose last I do not know) nor is my narrow heel creating a gap. Maybe I'm a RON last man? I suspect it's just very soft leather.

There's some QC issues. Certainly the finishing is not exceptional. There's a visible kink on the "penny holding section" on the right shoe, and a visible line of stress or colouring which is fortunately only visible if you look at the shoe from underneath (it'd be hidden by the bulge from above). Not enough to get me to return stuff. But perhaps enough that I'd at least check Orban's site next purchase, as their QC is better and prices lower.

Photos:

upload_2018-6-13_13-57-45.png
    Action shot

upload_2018-6-13_13-58-18.png
    Note weird fluff-like scuff on the right shoe.

upload_2018-6-13_13-58-48.png
    In the right lighting the colour variation and depth of the leather come through better.

upload_2018-6-13_13-59-24.png
    the scuff mark on the right. Nothing major from upclose. Also a chance to admire the grain of the leather.

[​IMG]
    Interior.

upload_2018-6-13_14-0-17.png
    Again, cosmetic, but would not pass QC at say, RM Williams. Then again RMWs cost a grand now.

upload_2018-6-13_14-1-7.png
    Wonder what happened to the heel. Was this walked with, or did the shoe get too close to one of the hot machines on the floor?

[​IMG]
    The line unseen from above. I guess whoever painted the side of the sole accidentally splashed the uppers.

[​IMG]
    Honestly, they're fine. I'm happy.

4. gettoasty

gettoasty Stylish Dinosaur

@am55 did you score this very early in the release? How did you size compared to say Hiro, if any experience? TIA

5. am55

I'm quite lazy and never managed to figure out all the differences in sizes and lasts, so I just buy 9.5UK of the models I like and hope it works out. If it doesn't, I stick an insole, cream the shoes until they soften, or don't wear them and sell them eventually. I think the Brannock says I'm a 9E but my toebox is wide and heel narrow, compared to the lines drawn on that thing.

In this case Hiro is supposed to be wider, and indeed the heel is (gapes slightly in the middle just past the heel) but the toebox feels narrower on Hiro, where my two smallest toes can occasionally feel a bit rough after a day of walking around. I suspect the actually narrower toebox of Ron is mitigated by the super soft unlined leather stretching (across the whole shoe). So, despite the Ron last, maybe this is a wide one.

I bought it when they sent the email. Not sure whether that was an early release. Half the sizes were sold out already.

6. stephenaf2003

stephenaf2003 Distinguished Member

Whoa, you’re a 9E on brannock and that UK 9 1/2 fits?

7. nicoridesbikes

nicoridesbikes Member

On the contrary I do like monk straps - I'm just not a fan of the lasts :p

8. Styzoom

Styzoom Member

You're in good company, the 5th place is popular here for the single strap.

9. josef1

josef1 Well-Known Member

Hi @am55! Where in Asia are you from? I'm from the Philippines and I've always held off on ordering straight from Meermin due to possible high expense on shipping and customs haha I always tend to wait for a friend coming home from Spain

10. am55

I'm in Singapore, but in ASEAN logistics companies split regions into tiers of difficulty of delivery. Metropolitan Manila or DKI Jakarta is top tier, you can probably get same day delivery there with a bit of effort (and assuming you start early enough to survive the traffic jams). If you live in the mountains of a less frequented island, or in the smaller islands of Minandao or a mountain region with dirt tracks, then the most they can guarantee is 3-4 days, maybe a week (from arriving in the country). Incidentally this is also the service you can now expect from Alibaba-owned SingPost in Singapore for a letter to go 5km on the best quality city roads in the world :D

I assume that if your friends are holidaying in Spain you're in a top tier and should get relatively fast delivery if customs don't get in the way. Only costs a couple hundred bucks to test. Certainly given the amount of stuff that comes from the Philippines on eBay (e.g. all the Seiko modded watches) and the number of start-ups in Manila you should probably be fine.

11. am55

12. josef1

josef1 Well-Known Member

Were there any customs fees for you in SG? I have a friend that lives there and he says as well to just send it to him instead of Manila to avoid some crazy customs. Although we do have a new law stating immediate release and no fees on any item priced under Php10k (around 200usd), our customs here is riddled with horror stories of having been sent fees 2 or 3 times the value of products so most people have always been on edge with ordering online directly. Lots of corruption within customs, sadly.

13. am55

I've had the odd items stuck in SG customs as well (the most I've paid was $88 duty per $60 bottle of bourbon and rye whisky imported from the US). And Australian. And Swiss.

I guess buy small packets (one pair at a time) and take the risk. What's your alternative anyway? There are no good shoemakers in ASEAN at that price point. Even glued, reconstituted leather Hush Puppies sell for S$150 a pair. The "bespoke" makers (bespoke only in that you pick the colour of the leather) making in Vietnam start at $600. The likes of Ed et al use worse leather than Meermin at least on what I have seen. There's a Saigon Japanese collaboration project that has decent looking shoes but again, $600+ a pair.

14. josef1

josef1 Well-Known Member

haha i was just about to ask about Ed et al. Good you brought that up. Here in Manila though, shops are picking up good brands. We have Lobb, EG, Trickers, and Alden here but far from Meermin price range. Best bet would be Carmina for over twice the price, or Loake and this newly acquired brand Berwick that looks good for maybe 80usd more. We do have some local shoemakers trying to step up in the game here but quality is still far off from what Meermin can offer at that price range. Thanks though for all that info! I'll look into it and hopefully be able to ship here with ease. If not, at least SG is an option for me too haha Cheers!

15. am55

Personally, I'd buy EGs or Aldens in that case. But for the money asked for around here ($1,500?) you don't need much more to go bespoke in Tokyo, which is a $200 return flight away ($4-500 on ScootBiz). Definitely worth the money, I just have better use for it for now. For a pair of Fukuda you can buy what, 10 pairs of Meermins? Or a great set of memories with the family in an interesting country.

I'm starting to suspect Lobb has two production lines as the stuff I see either in Asia or for the "Asian market" (e.g. at CDG airport's airside shop) is really not worth what they're asking for it. Moving into Meermin's territory in terms of quality. Whether or not they are GY-welted the leather shows visible creases on new models, is too dry, and occasionally had visible faults (which could be customers handling the display models).

I have no idea how you could think of wearing Trickers in our weather! For the same reason I've held off Meermin's shearling lined boots for years... when I travel into cold weather I usually don't have the luggage space for boots and need more technical shoes because of long walks in snow. Same with Buday, Dinkerlacker, even some Vass... my old Church brogues see almost no use.

At the Meermin level (~$200) there is always a Parisian brand offering similar quality at the same price. The current one I'm aware of is Orban's (I think Loding etc. use worse leathers), which has tidy stitching and good quality leather (good enough that client CEOs - American, ex-Harvard, Rolex sub-wearing - have asked me about it). However I'm between two sizes with Orban's, and they don't have many things I want.

In SG I'm not sure what we have that is worth shopping at sub $1,000. Maybe Septieme Largeur, although I struggle to see much of an improvement over Meermin (they're still GY welted).

My opinion of Ed Et Al is based on what he's selling in the Cathay mall's hipster shop on the ground floor (Assembly? it has a cafe). I admit to not having seen the stuff elsewhere. I failed to visit Fugashin (the Japanese collaboration I was thinking about) last time I was in HCMC but prefer the Meermin options anyway - just far enough away from classic to be interesting without getting loud.