• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fab75

Reaction score
Burgundy shell
8EF66A38-F08D-4F6B-9014-2562EC7D4BD4.jpeg

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very nice pair I must say. What is the colour?

If I were home I could look at the box and tell you for sure, but I believe it was their version of cognac.
These monks, are their version of cherry. Again, they aren't the best shell, but I really like them. But then again, I love all of my shoes; I've always been the type that won't buy them unless I really want them.

MeerminMonkexample.jpg

Southeasterly

Reaction score
Meermin shell isn’t bad, it just isn’t Horween. Shinki and Rocaro are both perfectly respectable tanneries. I have the same cherry shell monks and they were certainly a good buy. The Shinki shell is dry, but a little Bick 4 has done wonders for it. My monks have a nice deep color and classic shell “rolls” on the vamp. My main complaint is that it isn’t terribly comfortable owing to the hard plastic heel counter and mediocre double leather sole. I wish Meermin would upgrade in both areas and charge a little more. It would be well worth it.

And shell is an addiction. I’m up to 3 AE, 1 Rider Boot, and 1 Carmina + the Meermin.

Mrfuzon

Reaction score
Can anyone comment on the more recent runs of shell GMTOs, and how does the italian shell compare to horweens?

HarrisonK

Reaction score
Tried polishing my loafers with Saphir Mirror Gloss. This happened. Any ideas?
5BJYXET.jpg

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What the??? Would like to know the answer as well. Hope you can fix it.

dluce76

Reaction score
How does it compare to horween shell? I’m assuming yours are Rocado
Yes they are the Italian. Less finished, so they seem. Get dry/dull fast, very prone to water spots very quickly. With some tlc they buff up nicely.

I like the shell - meermin's QC on MTO though leaves something to be desired. Look halfway up the inside of the right shoe toe cap - that divot is from the manufacturing process. Came that way from the factory and as MTO, nothing they could do about it unless I wanted no shoes.

josef1

Reaction score
If I were home I could look at the box and tell you for sure, but I believe it was their version of cognac.
These monks, are their version of cherry. Again, they aren't the best shell, but I really like them. But then again, I love all of my shoes; I've always been the type that won't buy them unless I really want them.

View attachment 952795

Beautiful pair! I assumed that the Cherry color of meermin shell would be a bit more on the red side. These look great!

I notice though that creasings (based on pictures) of Meermin shell are a bit more.. "webby"? than other shells ive seen crease.

I'm just basing these on pictures though haha beautiful pairs nonetheless :)

Contango

Reaction score
Do Meermin still offer sunken steel toe taps? I can't find them on the website anywhere.

josef1

Reaction score
Do Meermin still offer sunken steel toe taps? I can't find them on the website anywhere.

Sadly, no :( I emailed them about this as well and they said that they already discontinued that service.

"Unfortunately, we no longer offer steel toe taps and their installment."

Contango

Reaction score
Sadly, no :( I emailed them about this as well and they said that they already discontinued that service.

"Unfortunately, we no longer offer steel toe taps and their installment."
That's a real pity, it costs a lot more to get them installed after-market, and that removes some of the cost advantages of Meermin.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads