Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Meermin Mallorca Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by asturiano, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Danitch

Danitch Active Member

Don't worry.
    I think that everything is OK.
    The location of the holes for the laces indicates that the meermin provide V-opening.

шнурки.png

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017

2. Danitch

Danitch Active Member

I'm absolutely sure that this is not so. Meermin uses a diagonal incision.

3. Bojan Zebic

Bojan Zebic Member

Just let your good cobbler put good quality rubber protective mats like Vibram ones. The handwelted companies like Vass always advised me to do it right away, and on all my Vass shoes/boots they were put by them during the production of shoes at no extra charge. I always get double leather soles plus protective mats on the sole and heel. And I wear them in summer, winter, rain and snow and no problem for 3-5 years. It is 10xtimes better than wearing out your soles and then changing them. I have one Gianni Barbato boots which are 14 years old and the leather on the boots started disintegrating while the sole (double leather) is original and like new because of the sturdy Vibram protective mats. I would always rather have double leather soles plus protective mats than the much cheaper to produce rubber soles on the shoes/boots because shoes are much sturdier with leather soles than rubber. Of course for somebody who is used to trainers and wants softer general fitting rubber soles is a better choice.

4. winghus

winghus Senior Member

I have the navy version of those. It's my second favorite pair.

5. boot_owl

boot_owl Active Member

Both of these statements are incorrect. Goodyear stitches are lockstitched, so a single stitch will never be the failure point. The primary advantage of handwelt vs goodyear is that the holdfast is cut directly from the bottom of the insole for attaching to the welt, instead of having a canvas rib glued in the case of goodyear.

For the second statement, Meermin's closed channel is not a layer of leather on top. I have purchased some of their shoes where the channel line is (barely) visible, and have never had 'strips of leather' falling off before.

6. crdb

crdb Distinguished Member

Thank you for correcting me. As I said I'm not that well versed in these things. Would you mind providing a photograph and more details?

7. MTLinStyle

MTLinStyle Senior Member

So what you are suggesting is that the way the V is cut in Meermin shoes that it is unavoidable in my situation. I pretty much gave up trying to find an oxford where the V does not show, and sizing up or taking G-width doesn't really solve the problem and just makes the matters worse in other areas (heel slip). I have tried Carmina, Loake, C&J, Meermin

8. Riva

Riva Senior Member

V is ok as long as you lace it so the inside crosses are nice and tidy.

9. zanci

zanci Well-Known Member

does meermin still install toe taps if ordered?

I dont see the option on the site anymore..

10. Riva

Riva Senior Member

Nope

11. Wild Strawberry Rabbit

Wild Strawberry Rabbit Well-Known Member