• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On a related note, Meermin is finally starting to add more ready to wear shoes in the classic collections. Now, we just need something in the Linea Maestro line that is not on the New Rey or Vil lasts. And, the ability to purchase directly from the website (to alleviate the burden on Jose and crew).

ryewo[i dmfsOZI490w

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In my book, this move is the #1 sin in pricing strategy. Raising price on consumers is the last thing any savvy business minded company want to consider, especially an up and coming one. :facepalm:

How is this wrong? Their prices can continue to increase because their supply is outstripping their demand - right now they're leaving a lot of money on the table by being able to charge higher prices but not (well not until a couple days ago).

All they need to do is keep raising prices until they've met up with demand and don't have a backlog of a month and then they've reached the price the market is willing to bear.

Either that or just hire more people, but who knows what other factors play into this, maybe they just don't want to hire outsiders.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How is this wrong? Their prices can continue to increase because their supply is outstripping their demand - right now they're leaving a lot of money on the table by being able to charge higher prices but not (well not until a couple days ago).
All they need to do is keep raising prices until they've met up with demand and don't have a backlog of a month and then they've reached the price the market is willing to bear.
Either that or just hire more people, but who knows what other factors play into this, maybe they just don't want to hire outsiders.

He's referring to the fact that a company is better off starting with the higher price from the beginning rather than starting out low and raising prices on customers.

MarioImpemba

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Penetration price to entice new customers to your brand/product vs. price skimming, which is typically reserved more for inelastic markets (commodities). Their strategy is spot on for their brand/product, though not impervious to random internet bitching from self-proclaimed business experts.

Again, my comment deserves repeat: please show me a company that will answer the request for a one-off MTO in this price range. Every MTO thread on this forum needs at least QTY-5 to 10 to initiate an MTO, and those shoes are more in the $600-1000 range (Carmina, Alden, et al.).

Last edited:

lychyrychy

Reaction score

Penetration price to entice new customers to your brand/product vs. price skimming, which is typically reserved more for inelastic markets (commodities). Their strategy is spot on for their brand/product, though not impervious to random internet bitching from self-proclaimed business experts.

Again, my comment deserves repeat: please show me a company that will answer the request for a one-off MTO in this price range. Every MTO thread on this forum needs at least QTY-5 to 10 to initiate an MTO, and those shoes are more in the $600-1000 range (Carmina, Alden, et al.).

Meermin's become popular, especially among SF and other such blogs, because of their competitive prices for RTW as well as MTO while providing all the bells and whistles of much more expensive shoes such as close channeling, beveled waist, and goodyear welt, to new a few. This is their bread and butter aka competitive advantage. They've been thriving because they are in a niche segment that no other company out there that can offer all these features at such a price point. Also, a big part of the reason they're doing so well is because they're endorsed by SF and its members' blogs. Whether their goal is to remain in this niche market, a good decision for now imo, or to become another bottom-line driven company, that is soon to be clarified with their pricing strategy and their public relation activities.

However, if they are going to raise prices, and I'm not talking about MTO orders here but in general, they would leave their niche segment and enter a much more competitive segment. Also unlike other established brands with low rate of quality controll issues, Meermin has been having some critical quality control issues that forced the buyers to return their shoes. And until they work out these issues, imo, I don't think they should increase their prices.

I would rather stop here than ballooning this discussion into a full-on pricing strategy analysis but I do agree with you on your comment because that is what makes Meermin competitive. Matter of fact, I'm part of a MTO program right now :)

Frankie22

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Meermin's become popular, especially among SF and other such blogs, because of their competitive prices for RTW as well as MTO while providing all the bells and whistles of much more expensive shoes such as close channeling, beveled waist, and goodyear welt, to new a few. This is their bread and butter aka competitive advantage. They've been thriving because they are in a niche segment that no other company out there that can offer all these features at such a price point. Also, a big part of the reason they're doing so well is because they're endorsed by SF and its members' blogs. Whether their goal is to remain in this niche market, a good decision for now imo, or to become another bottom-line driven company, that is soon to be clarified with their pricing strategy and their public relation activities.
However, if they are going to raise prices, and I'm not talking about MTO orders here but in general, they would leave their niche segment and enter a much more competitive segment. Also unlike other established brands with low rate of quality controll issues, Meermin has been having some critical quality control issues that forced the buyers to return their shoes. And until they work out these issues, imo, I don't think they should increase their prices.
I would rather stop here than ballooning this discussion into a full-on pricing strategy analysis but I do agree with you on your comment because that is what makes Meermin competitive. Matter of fact, I'm part of a MTO program right now
smile.gif

They would have to raise them a great deal, plus even if these shoes were on par with say an AE price wise (300 range or even higher but still sub 400), I would buy meermin all day as AE are super conservative, and, imo, boring. The next closest thing to Meermin is Alden (not my taste) and Carmina. Both much more expensive.

Last edited:

lychyrychy

Reaction score

They would have to raise them a great deal, plus even if these shoes were on par with say an AE price wise (300 range or even higher but still sub 400), I would buy meermin all day as AE are super conservative, and, imo, boring.  The next closest thing to Meermin is Alden (not my taste) and Carmina. Both much more expensive.

Yeah some people like you and I weigh more on the aesthetic part of the shoes. Their quality control need to improve though.

Frankie22

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Yeah some people like you and I weigh more on the aesthetic part of the shoes. Their quality control need to improve though.

I think they saw the quality control feedback from this thread and have made some changes ( I could be wrong).
I just ordered a pair of hand welted cap toes, which they had to source from their storefront. Instead of just having their store send them out, they are going to be sent directly to Sandro's location for inspection prior to shipment next week. I did not ask for this.

lychyrychy

Reaction score

I think they saw the quality control feedback from this thread and have made some changes ( I could be wrong).
I just ordered a pair of hand welted cap toes, which they had to source from their storefront. Instead of just having their store send them out, they are going to be sent directly to Sandro's location for inspection prior to shipment next week. I did not ask for this.
:slayer: they're in the right direction edit: I admire their prompt responses to my emails. They know what customer service is all about :slayer:

Last edited:

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do you have a picture to share of the shoe you ordered? One of my unanswered questions was whether there is a ready to wear Linea Maestro level captoe available that is on any last other than New Rey and Vil.

Pastor

Reaction score

This is what just happened to me as well. I asked for an extra shoe bag as well which they said would be no problem. Everything is great so far. I just hope the shoes get here soon!

Frankie22

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
This is what just happened to me as well. I asked for an extra shoe bag as well which they said would be no problem. Everything is great so far. I just hope the shoes get here soon!
Had no problems with my first mainline pair --- excited to see the linea maestro.

Frankie22

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
they're in the right direction
edit: I admire their prompt responses to my emails. They know what customer service is all about
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
Agree... if they go lull, just shoot another note, as you know, they get back to you asap.
Im sure their current volume of orders is huge, so I dont mind if I have to send an extra communication or two.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
honestly, I'm not sure who the hell can fit into the VIL last if its as narrow as it appears. The new rey is already a very narrow last...the vil, forget it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads