Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Meermin Mallorca Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by asturiano, Dec 5, 2011.

1. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

Got a link?

2. 007Bond

007Bond Senior member

Assuming you are in the US if not you can switch to the other site https://www.carminashoemaker.us/men-outlet-shoes

Now again average is $300 I see some loafer for $262 what happens is the longer the style is there and the fewer the available sizes the lower the price goes. They do a big restock every once in awhile and then add single items at random so you have to keep an eye out.

3. josef1

josef1 Active Member

I'll probably just wait for it like you do the next time around. It's honestly my first time buying off ebay so I wasn't aware of that culture haha eBay isn't widely used in my country. Thanks for the tip tho! Cheers!

4. TokenMao

TokenMao Senior member

Carmina retails for $450, Vass retails for ~$600, so it isn't really fair to compare the two due to the price difference. I would also say that "no comparison in terms of quality" is a gross exaggeration, but to each their own. Vass is higher quality than Carmina, but you would expect that to be the case considering you're paying more for it. The MTO part (made to your own specification, leather, design, etc.) is not unique to handwelted shoes. Carmina offers a MTO program as well where you can customize a lot of different features.

5. Bojan Zebic

Bojan Zebic Member

Hm the Vass MTO shoes are exactly 460€ when you order in their shop 145.000Huf, so 540$.

The difference beetween handwelting the shoe and machine welting is huge. I don’t know if you have ever witnessed it in person and how hard it is to make handwelted shoes with 2 needles and how much time it takes compared to machine welting. The Vass are a steal for that money as English companies charge over 1000€ + for handwelting.
    The Vass MTO lets you not only decide colour and leather but as they hand make soles and heels from leather (as opposed to many companies that use pre made heels from leatherboard) it is possible to get different thickness of the sole and heel especially, so if I ask the heels to be 4.2cm on my boots and 3,4cm on the shoes I will get exactly that, at no extra charge, as well as rubber protective mats on the leather sole at no extra charge, burnishing etc. So compared to anything on the market they’re a steal if you know exactly what you wanna make of your shoe.

On the other hand Meermin has a great price and value for money for what you get. 160€ for the shoes 220€ for boots. They’re machine welted like Carmina and even though Carmina has better attention to detail I wouldn’t call it double better. As for the leather the Meermin leather is as good as any since they use both D’Annonay and Du Puy.

6. Bojan Zebic

Bojan Zebic Member

I have just checked on their webpage Carmina’s are 395€, Meermin 160€ so more than 3 times difference. And Carmina’s regular shoes at 395€ are very close to handwelted MTO Vass at 460€. So for me if you would like value for money Meermin is the right price, if you want to design shoe for yourself and get a handwelted shoes again there is nothing bettter on the market to Vass. Normal Carmina’s are just overpriced for a machine welted shoes, outlet and sales are of course not included.

7. TokenMao

TokenMao Senior member

As a US customer I'm not going to make the trip to Budapest to personally pick up a pair of shoes. Ordering direct from Vass is 450 euro + 40 euro shipping = $580 US. Whether it's $540, $580, or $600, it's still more expensive than Carmina.

I disagree that handwelting makes a significant functional difference. Unless you know you're going to resole your shoes 5x, then yes handwelting has a distinct advantage, but otherwise as far as aesthetic, comfort, etc., the differences from handwelting and machine welt are extremely minor compared to the differences in aesthetic and comfort from different lasts.

Ok sure Vass MTO gives you more customization options than Carmina MTO does, but outside of a select few who want that level of customization, who cares about thickness of the sole and heel? Meermin is targeting customers who want to spend $200 on a pair of shoes, Carmina is targeting customers who want to spend $400 on a pair of shoes: I don't think there are very many customers in that price range who need, care about, or want the level of customization that Vass affords.

Strongly disagree that Meermin leather is as good as any just because they source from the same tanneries. In fact, I would argue that one of the biggest differences between Vass and Carmina (and even more so Vass and Meermin) is the leather quality. The leather on my Vass shoes has tighter grain and finer wrinkling compared to leather used on my Carminas.

8. MTLinStyle

MTLinStyle Senior member

Why would anyone compare Meermin, Carmina and Vass? Those are all in the category of their own. Meermin are good beater shoes, Carmina are great all around and Vass a definitely more premium.
    I am surprised how much obsession is on GY-welting and leather. I don't know about you guys, but I get scuffs on ALL my shoes, at some point it is bound to happen. What I really care about (more than fine imperfections in leather quality) is the comfort of the last and how long it take to break them in, or rather for your foot to take shape of the shoe (in some cases).

Also I am surprised that comparison is only within these three. what about Loake, Grenson, Tricker's, C&J, Chearney and and whatever else (EG, JL, GG).

9. Bojan Zebic

Bojan Zebic Member

Well as you’re a US customer different thing, I’m not, so living in Europe has it’s perks:), even though none of the brands we’re discussing here are US brands, so shipment is something you have to pay on all of them.
    The difference in price of Carmina and Vass is so small that I wouldn’t think twice of should I order a mass produced machine welted shoe or a hand welted shoe to my own design being the only one in the world. If you think differently fine by me, but btw. how much is the Carmina made to order pair of shoes to your specification of just leather, not other parts?
    And yes I agree there are lots of people who don’t give a damn about details but I guess those people will not spend 400€+ on a shoe and are not following forums like this.
    People who follow it are more into details and are more into craftamship and quality. I can see you’re as as well as you talk about wrinkling on the shoes, something person who is not into details wouldn’t notice.
    Again my opinion is Meermin for 160€ basic price are excellent value for money, Carmina at 3 times more or 395€ for basic shoes are not. As said earlier for 65€ more I would rather buy one of a kind Vass shoes, because once again, just my opinion, once you go handwelted leather sole shoes, you never go back, just the fit, smell of the leather the feeling of solidity cannot compare to anything else.

10. chrfi

chrfi Active Member

We are quite far from the Meermin topic here, but I don't like many (any) of the VASS lasts for the types of shoes I like - then it's quite easy for me. Regarding Meermin and Carmina, I have PTB's from both. The difference in the last, welt, leather and total finishing is huge - I think quite enough to justify for the price difference.

11. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

Well this thread heated up fast. Such a shame this forum has not brought back the pictures in all the threads.