• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

newtoshoes

Reaction score
Hi all!

I am new in this board as well as I am to better shoes.

I sent a request via the web form two days ago. So far, I haven't received an answer. I asked for general advice on fitting lasts and size based on my foot dimensions. According to what I read in this thread, this kind of request is normally answered quite fast. Maybe I will start a new inquiry on Monday if I haven't received a reply until then.

Or should I use a specific mail address for my requests? I couldn't find one on the website.

Thanks in advance and best regards from Germany

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i want to buy Meermin and then raise prices by 15% across the board. Then promote Pepe and Jose to sales managers and hire 5 people underneath them while simultaneously contracting a web design team to enable the site to take orders. Also would expand capacity by 15-20% in the coming year.

all this just to prevent posts like this:

"i paid and then stopped receiving responses. are they robbing me?"
"its been 2 days and I havent received a response"
"its been 3 days and I havent received a response"
"please tell me everything about every last and model"
"its been 4 days..."

akg101

Reaction score
Spoke with Jose a few days ago.. Great service, very cordial..

Unfortunately, I was asking about sizing and wasn't able to get a definitive answer..

Can anyone suggest how large or small some of the lasts go?

Particularly, I'm looking at New Rey, Ana and Hiro lasts.

I don't have any dress shoes currently, since I lost a lot of weight, and as a result, my foot size shrunk by almost a full size.

Currently wearing 9.5 US, but generally in sneakers and casual shoes. For a frame of reference, I wear a 9 in Clark's Desert Boots.

If anyone is able to help me out here, I'd appreciate it.

Kenjias

Reaction score
I suspect the variance in response times is based on how easy the questions are to answer. The easy ones get answered immediately and the ones that take more thought sit in the inbox until they can get to them. For what it's worth, I sent an inquiry on Monday but have not heard anything back as of yet. I suspect I fell in the PITA question category.

This is exactly what I found too. Common questions about payment and shipping was very quick. Asking about whether they had a certain design not on their website or tumblr, this took two reminders to finally get an answer a week later.

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Spoke with Jose a few days ago.. Great service, very cordial..
Unfortunately, I was asking about sizing and wasn't able to get a definitive answer..
Can anyone suggest how large or small some of the lasts go?
Particularly, I'm looking at New Rey, Ana and Hiro lasts.
I don't have any dress shoes currently, since I lost a lot of weight, and as a result, my foot size shrunk by almost a full size.
Currently wearing 9.5 US, but generally in sneakers and casual shoes. For a frame of reference, I wear a 9 in Clark's Desert Boots.
If anyone is able to help me out here, I'd appreciate it.

The reason they don't want to give a definitive answer is because everything is relative. Somebody wants their shoes snug, somebody want them a little looser. Some have high insteps, some have low. By saying "You're a size 9" they also feel obligated to pay for return shipping if the shoes does not fit according to your demands. It seems like a lot of people here think that the guys from Meermin are magicians and can perfectly spot your size.

The New Rey, Ama and Hiro are different. The general consensus here is that you should size half a size up from the Hiro and Ama to the New Rey. Sneakers are the worst to measure, I'm a size 7 in Hiro last, size 8 US in AE's #5 last and size 9 in my Nike Free Runs. I would advise you to try on some higher quality shoes, and depending on where you live this may be everything from AE to Loake to Carmina.

Everybody seeking help for sizing, please understand that there is no such thing as a definitive answer, some lasts may fit you badly even if they are in the right size as it all depends on multiple of variables.

Last edited:

Zarium

Reaction score
^ Exactly. And when they don't fit, people complain and whine how their customer service is bad, and fault them entirely.

Engi

Reaction score

I fully agree, NO price increase

newtoshoes

Reaction score
(...)
"its been 2 days and I havent received a response"
"its been 3 days and I havent received a response"
"please tell me everything about every last and model"
"its been 4 days..."
Not everyone posting comments like those is automatically complaining about "bad" service. But the obviously different treatment of some customers (or requests) might raise the question if the own request was lost, accidentally deleted or whatever. Moreover, those comments serve as a benchmark for other requests. As a board like this should generally serve the exchange of information of all kinds about certain topics, I don't think you should worry about the comments too much. :)

Best regards

dsc

Reaction score
I've sent multiple emails to both Pepe and Jose, received replies straight away or after longer periods (anything from 2-8 days). What you have to realise is that it's a rather small company and in busy periods they might be slower to reply, so give them a week or so before dropping them another email. As far as last selection goes it's quite hard to suggest something without knowing what fit you like, or what your feet are like. If you're asking about fit, at least say that your have a normal / high instep, wide/narrow ball of foot and so on, anything they can relate to.

Regards,
dsc.

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So far it seem's like:

Narrow/Normal feet:
TTS on New Rey, Ama and Hiro.

Normal/Wide feet:
TTS on Ama (to a certain degree, a little more tight in the toe box and instep) and Hiro.
.5 size up on New Rey.

As said, it depends on a lot of other factors as well.

Received my pair of cuero calf chukkas a couple of days ago, they're undergoing treatment as we speek and I should have a picture up at the end of the weekend. They're on the Rui last which seems to fit a little bigger than the Hiro last, but I would advise to still pick the same size, maybe half a size down for narrow feet.

newtoshoes

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies, dsc and Christian.

As I sent my request on Tuesday, I was not going to send another one before next Monday or Tuesday anyway. And I totally understand that it is a small company and that they are quite busy currently. I was just wondering if requests via the web form are treated the same as requests via mail (as mentioned, I didn't find a mail address on their website; I just read in this thread that many of you contacted them directly via mail).

I know that it's (very) hard to suggest certain sizes and/or lasts just based on the usual shoe size. Therefore, I gave them my foot dimensions based on the required measurements at sizeadvisors.com (i.e. Length, Ball girth, Ball width, Heel width, Instep girth and Heel girth). I hope that facilitates an advice a lot. Even if they still don't (and shouldn't) take the risk of non-fitting shoes after their advice, in my opinion asking for their advice is the only way to minimize the risk of mispurchase solely related to misfit. This is even more essential taking into account that shipping and possible return costs (would) make up to more than 20 % of the shoe price (classic line).

Best regards

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear you didn't just inform them about your size in Clark's DB and sneakers, the information you provided is sufficient to certainly advise a size that might, and probably will fit you. Good luck!

newtoshoes

Reaction score
Glad to hear you didn't just inform them about your size in Clark's DB and sneakers, the information you provided is sufficient to certainly advise a size that might, and probably will fit you. Good luck!

Thanks! I'm looking forward to hearing from them. I will keep you updated.

P.S.: I could hardly resist to only provide my size in Adidas sports shoes (UK 12). ;)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads