• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What makes you say similar price?

I had a quick look and a sale belt is GBP 48 (USD 62) whilst full price starts at GBP 60 (USD 77) for a cheviot belt; premium is more varied with the Asprey at GBP 111 (USD 143) and really special stuff upwards of GBP 300. Meermin is mostly at USD 50 going up to a max of USD 80 for special leathers.

You could argue Meermin shipping will eat a lot of the difference, but I usually buy a belt with some shoes so that's not an issue for me. Even sharing a recent order with a friend, my share of shipping was only USD 10 or so. Equus shipping (signed delivery) is GBP 12.45 (USD 16) which I guess is less than the VAT dropped from the order outside the EU. So total, 30-100% more for the same belt?

In terms of quality whilst the Meermin belt is a bit wide for my taste it is fine in other respects - the leather does not have visible flaws and the stitching is neat and solid. Would you mind doing a side by side comparison? I'd love to give myself an excuse to expand my belt collection.

Jasper Highet is too casual a look for my needs unfortunately (but at GBP 60 also more expensive than Meermin).

My sentiment as well. I love my Equus belt, but it was almost twice as expensive as a belt from Meermin.

starro

Reaction score

I had a quick look and a sale belt is GBP 48 (USD 62) whilst full price starts at GBP 60 (USD 77) for a cheviot belt; premium is more varied with the Asprey at GBP 111 (USD 143) and really special stuff upwards of GBP 300. Meermin is mostly at USD 50 going up to a max of USD 80 for special leathers.

You could argue Meermin shipping will eat a lot of the difference, but I usually buy a belt with some shoes so that's not an issue for me. Even sharing a recent order with a friend, my share of shipping was only USD 10 or so. Equus shipping (signed delivery) is GBP 12.45 (USD 16) which I guess is less than the VAT dropped from the order outside the EU. So total, 30-100% more for the same belt?

In terms of quality whilst the Meermin belt is a bit wide for my taste it is fine in other respects - the leather does not have visible flaws and the stitching is neat and solid. Would you mind doing a side by side comparison? I'd love to give myself an excuse to expand my belt collection.

Jasper Highet is too casual a look for my needs unfortunately (but at GBP 60 also more expensive than Meermin).

So you've already laid out all the details for me. The originally question was about just buying the belt, direct from seller. Factoring in shipping would put it right in, or near, the range of Equus bridle belts. Even if the Equus ends up 20-30% more expensive, it is still superior in many ways: better buckles, more customization, hand stitched, veg tanned thick bridle vs chrome.

I also think a belt of similar quality as the Meermin could be had at lower prices.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've got both and the leather is definitely better on the Equus belts, but my Meermin one is suede and the Equus ones I have are bridle leather, but may not be an equal comparison. Will likely get an Equus suede one the next time they have a discount code.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think for 30% more I'd pull the trigger - that's the case with Orban's vs Meermin already, and on balance I'd probably order the former all else equal (although they have their specialties which makes it a mono choice for what I want). My issue is that at 50-100% more the equation is different. Like Carmina vs Meermin.

I would love to hear about your cheaper options for Meermin-quality belts. AFAIK they were the cheapest passing my quality bar (I can get leather belts from Mustafa Centre in Singapore for $10 but they will break in weeks).

starro

Reaction score
I think for 30% more I'd pull the trigger - that's the case with Orban's vs Meermin already, and on balance I'd probably order the former all else equal (although they have their specialties which makes it a mono choice for what I want). My issue is that at 50-100% more the equation is different. Like Carmina vs Meermin.

I would love to hear about your cheaper options for Meermin-quality belts. AFAIK they were the cheapest passing my quality bar (I can get leather belts from Mustafa Centre in Singapore for $10 but they will break in weeks).

Not sure where your quality bar's at, but here we go.
  • I remember seeing full grain belts at Lands End in the range of 30-40. So maybe even less on discount.
  • There are Amish makers, some of which retail online through intermediaries, offering handstitched bridle belts for ~$50.
  • A search for "full grain belt" on Amazon and ebay shoes even lower priced items
I'm sure for the lowest priced, something's got to give. But on the other hand I don't see what's so special about Meermin belts.

IMO Equus belts, and other leather makers who can produce at a similar quality and customization, is about as bespoke as it gets, the analogy to Cleverley or Berluti for shoes. So while it can be worthwhile to get AE/Meermin shoes because they are ~10% the price of bespoke, it's less justifiable to spend 50% on less-than-bespoke, especially when bespoke won't break the bank.

This is as far as I know. I don't shop for belts that frequently.

Dd1101

Reaction score
Quick question, how close is the copper antique to Allen Edmonds Chili color?

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure where your quality bar's at, but here we go.
  • I remember seeing full grain belts at Lands End in the range of 30-40. So maybe even less on discount.
  • There are Amish makers, some of which retail online through intermediaries, offering handstitched bridle belts for ~$50.
  • A search for "full grain belt" on Amazon and ebay shoes even lower priced items
I'm sure for the lowest priced, something's got to give. But on the other hand I don't see what's so special about Meermin belts.

IMO Equus belts, and other leather makers who can produce at a similar quality and customization, is about as bespoke as it gets, the analogy to Cleverley or Berluti for shoes. So while it can be worthwhile to get AE/Meermin shoes because they are ~10% the price of bespoke, it's less justifiable to spend 50% on less-than-bespoke, especially when bespoke won't break the bank.

This is as far as I know. I don't shop for belts that frequently.
Thanks, detailed and informative enough for my needs.

Not living in the US the first two aren't options and in my view the premium over Amazon or eBay is justified for belts. I don't trust eBay/Amazon sellers over brands that already built goodwill with me unless I can have a significant discount (e.g. croc watch straps for $40 from Vietnam vs $150+ from Hirsch - and if it's not croc, PayPal refunds it). Amazon in particular is increasingly plagued by a wave of fakes including on products serviced by Amazon. They're pretty good about it when it happens, but I prefer ordering directly from the manufacturer as much as possible.

As for bespoke, as with shoes, my tastes are pretty boring so I'm happy going with the default. However, the enthusiasm displayed by several posters for the brand piques my interest and I'll probably direct my next belt order there to see what it's all about. Thanks for the heads up.

Quesjac

Reaction score
Just received the suede plain toe bluchers on Hiro, happy to report that they are stiff but comfortable straight out of the box. (We talked about break in recently, and I said that my calf Oxfords on Hiro took weeks to become comfortable. Either the suede is softer or the bluchers give a little bit more leeway (or both) but these feel good.)

v4257

Reaction score
Meermin lovers - what sort of warranty does Meermin offer? I can't find any info on their warranty (if any) online.

I purchased a set of MTO boots and ignoring other OCD stitching defects - there is one that affects function. The right boot tongue is attached crooked and when doing up laces - won't sit flush but instead will slide into the right side of the boot. What say you?

AndyBass

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm planing to buy 101198 - COOPER ANTIQUE CALF - E. But I'm little bit confused with sizing?
I have tried loake holborn size 8 in our local shop and it fits fine.
But my normal shoe size is UK 10 EU 44. I don't how it is possible that holborn is so smaller.
And I don't know what meermin size, I should select.
Could you help me please?
What is the quality of meermin classic line shoes to loake holborn/aldwych?

jebarne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi folks.
I have a question about the quality of the shell cordovan from Rocado that Meermin use in these.

They have a current MTO on Cigar Shell loafers with the leather sourced from " a small, family owned Tannery located in the heart of the Tuscany, full vegetable tanned, naturally air dried, finished & glazed by hand". $350.

meermin-jpg.786438

They describe it as "softer & more flexible (pretty similar to the US-made one in terms of flexibility & tanning) than the Japanese one" they previously used.

Does anyone have any experience with non-Horween shell?

jebarne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm planing to buy 101198 - COOPER ANTIQUE CALF - E. But I'm little bit confused with sizing?
I have tried loake holborn size 8 in our local shop and it fits fine.
But my normal shoe size is UK 10 EU 44. I don't how it is possible that holborn is so smaller.
And I don't know what meermin size, I should select.
Could you help me please?
What is the quality of meermin classic line shoes to loake holborn/aldwych?

I'm no expert on shoe construction, but have Loake for BB longwings, Meermin Monks, chukka boots and hassle loafers. I also have some old J&M's, a couple of Cole Haan boots, a pair of Carmina jumper boots and 15 pair of AE shoes in my rotation.

for 30-50% of the price of Carmina, you get an elegantly designed shoe, very well made. I paid $175 for the MTO Llama monks and I swear they are nicer than my AE Hopkinson's from the independence collection.

If they routinely made a wide footing, I would buy more from them.

I'm a value buyer and for me, these are the best value that I have found.

Some don't like that they do most of their work in China, but it doesn't bother me at all.

When I started buying A&E, I went to a store and stayed 4 hours trying on every last so that I could scour eBay for deals. I wish I could do that with these guys, because my monks and loafers fit fine, the chukka's are a half-size small.

grovester

Reaction score
Hi folks.
I have a question about the quality of the shell cordovan from Rocado that Meermin use in these.

They have a current MTO on Cigar Shell loafers with the leather sourced from " a small, family owned Tannery located in the heart of the Tuscany, full vegetable tanned, naturally air dried, finished & glazed by hand". $350.

They describe it as "softer & more flexible (pretty similar to the US-made one in terms of flexibility & tanning) than the Japanese one" they previously used.

Does anyone have any experience with non-Horween shell?

I just put my order down for the Burgundy Balmoral Shell Boot GMTO that they released at the same time. I would love to get any info on this as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics