Meermin Mallorca Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by asturiano, Dec 5, 2011.

1. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Senior member

My sentiment as well. I love my Equus belt, but it was almost twice as expensive as a belt from Meermin.

2. starro

starro Senior member

So you've already laid out all the details for me. The originally question was about just buying the belt, direct from seller. Factoring in shipping would put it right in, or near, the range of Equus bridle belts. Even if the Equus ends up 20-30% more expensive, it is still superior in many ways: better buckles, more customization, hand stitched, veg tanned thick bridle vs chrome.

I also think a belt of similar quality as the Meermin could be had at lower prices.

3. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

I've got both and the leather is definitely better on the Equus belts, but my Meermin one is suede and the Equus ones I have are bridle leather, but may not be an equal comparison. Will likely get an Equus suede one the next time they have a discount code.

4. crdb

crdb Senior member

I think for 30% more I'd pull the trigger - that's the case with Orban's vs Meermin already, and on balance I'd probably order the former all else equal (although they have their specialties which makes it a mono choice for what I want). My issue is that at 50-100% more the equation is different. Like Carmina vs Meermin.

I would love to hear about your cheaper options for Meermin-quality belts. AFAIK they were the cheapest passing my quality bar (I can get leather belts from Mustafa Centre in Singapore for $10 but they will break in weeks).

5. starro

starro Senior member

Not sure where your quality bar's at, but here we go.
    • I remember seeing full grain belts at Lands End in the range of 30-40. So maybe even less on discount.
    • There are Amish makers, some of which retail online through intermediaries, offering handstitched bridle belts for ~$50.
    • A search for "full grain belt" on Amazon and ebay shoes even lower priced items
    I'm sure for the lowest priced, something's got to give. But on the other hand I don't see what's so special about Meermin belts.

IMO Equus belts, and other leather makers who can produce at a similar quality and customization, is about as bespoke as it gets, the analogy to Cleverley or Berluti for shoes. So while it can be worthwhile to get AE/Meermin shoes because they are ~10% the price of bespoke, it's less justifiable to spend 50% on less-than-bespoke, especially when bespoke won't break the bank.

This is as far as I know. I don't shop for belts that frequently.

6. Dd1101

Dd1101 Senior member

Quick question, how close is the copper antique to Allen Edmonds Chili color?

7. crdb

crdb Senior member

Thanks, detailed and informative enough for my needs.

Not living in the US the first two aren't options and in my view the premium over Amazon or eBay is justified for belts. I don't trust eBay/Amazon sellers over brands that already built goodwill with me unless I can have a significant discount (e.g. croc watch straps for $40 from Vietnam vs $150+ from Hirsch - and if it's not croc, PayPal refunds it). Amazon in particular is increasingly plagued by a wave of fakes including on products serviced by Amazon. They're pretty good about it when it happens, but I prefer ordering directly from the manufacturer as much as possible.

As for bespoke, as with shoes, my tastes are pretty boring so I'm happy going with the default. However, the enthusiasm displayed by several posters for the brand piques my interest and I'll probably direct my next belt order there to see what it's all about. Thanks for the heads up.

8. Quesjac

Quesjac Senior member

Just received the suede plain toe bluchers on Hiro, happy to report that they are stiff but comfortable straight out of the box. (We talked about break in recently, and I said that my calf Oxfords on Hiro took weeks to become comfortable. Either the suede is softer or the bluchers give a little bit more leeway (or both) but these feel good.)

9. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

10. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

11. v4257

v4257 Member

Meermin lovers - what sort of warranty does Meermin offer? I can't find any info on their warranty (if any) online.

I purchased a set of MTO boots and ignoring other OCD stitching defects - there is one that affects function. The right boot tongue is attached crooked and when doing up laces - won't sit flush but instead will slide into the right side of the boot. What say you?

12. AndyBass

AndyBass New Member

Hello,

I'm planing to buy 101198 - COOPER ANTIQUE CALF - E. But I'm little bit confused with sizing?
    I have tried loake holborn size 8 in our local shop and it fits fine.
    But my normal shoe size is UK 10 EU 44. I don't how it is possible that holborn is so smaller.
    And I don't know what meermin size, I should select.
    Could you help me please?
    What is the quality of meermin classic line shoes to loake holborn/aldwych?