• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Matt St

Reaction score
Need some help here for anyone in a similar situation.

I measured my feet for Meermin based on the Elton last (Double Monks). I was advised to order a size 10 and knew I should have went with my gut. Well the size 10 isn't snug really at all. Truly feels like there is a bit of wiggle room - not sure how you guys determine things but for me with leather I generally expect the first fit to be comfortably snug. These felt like I had worn them around 50 times.

I also ordered a matching belt to my waist size of 32. I know this to be my waist. My suit pants are this size. However when putting on the belt I have to take the pants up past the hip and it actually scrunches the pants. The other oddity is the only notch I could even hope to fit in is the first one so it must be "up to 32 waist". I will ask their advice on how many sizes up I need to go to be in the 2nd or 3rd notch. I can measure this if anyone wants.

I have emailed Meermin for resolution. I'm kind of freaking out as my wedding is in 28 days and they don't have 9.5s in stock in that shoe. I may just go ahead and take a leap and buy the boots that I wasn't dangerous enough to try but now am. Those are in a HIRO last. Anyone know the difference or own both? I'm thinking of ordering the 9.5s.

Anyways first expensive shoe purchase and I hate that they are in Spain right now as resolution on mess ups are not going to be swift. I imagine I will have to buy a whole new order and just get refunded when those arrive.

Thanks for any tips!

Alexandru

Reaction score
A size 10 might have been right for you if you were dealing with oxfords on the Elton last. Double monks, just like derbys, tend to be more spacious and you should consider going half size down. I had this problem on Loake's Capital last with double monks.
If your trousers are 32 you need a 34 belt. There's an inch of space between each hole.
My advice is to wait for Meermin's reply and then consider sending both the shoes and the belt back.

Matt St

Reaction score
A size 10 might have been right for you if you were dealing with oxfords on the Elton last. Double monks, just like derbys, tend to be more spacious and you should consider going half size down. I had this problem on Loake's Capital last with double monks.
If your trousers are 32 you need a 34 belt. There's an inch of space between each hole.
My advice is to wait for Meermin's reply and then consider sending both the shoes and the belt back.

What would you say about the Balmoral boots on the Hiro last? If the 10 Elton monks are too wide/long I wonder how the 9.5 Hiro boots will match up.

I am still waiting to hear back from them but I checked their return policy and put everything back in order. I plan to return them and switch them out for the boots instead.

Alexandru

Reaction score
I don't particulary know how their shoes fit as I only bought belts from them. I wrote based on my experience with double monks.

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So, I was taking a look at the Meermin new sizing chart and it looks great but for example in the Rui last... which size should I choose?

Foot: 271mm (without socks) 281 mm (with socks)
Width: 101 mm (without socks)
Girdth: 247.5 mm (Without socks)

Rui 9.5 UK has the correct lenght and a bit more space in the girdth but 1mm short in the widht. 10 UK is quite long but still manageable the girdth is bigger but the widht is the correct one. Which one should I choose?

Frozenhaze

Reaction score
So, I was taking a look at the Meermin new sizing chart and it looks great but for example in the Rui last... which size should I choose?

Foot: 271mm (without socks) 281 mm (with socks)
Width: 101 mm (without socks)
Girdth: 247.5 mm (Without socks)

Rui 9.5 UK has the correct lenght and a bit more space in the girdth but 1mm short in the widht. 10 UK is quite long but still manageable the girdth is bigger but the widht is the correct one. Which one should I choose?

I don't know how thick socks you're wearing but it's hard to believe that it makes the 10mm difference in length with dress socks on. I'd say that even the UK9.5 will be too loose fit for your feet regarding the specs you gave us. I think the size UK9 would be a better choice but take this as a grain of salt since every feet is unique.

patliean1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Rhode

Reaction score
Should I send them back for an exchange?

These shoes are my fist goodyear-welted shoes.

patliean1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Rhode

Reaction score
I've also noticed that the right heel is slightly (about 2mm) wider than the left one.
I'm disappointed(

starro

Reaction score
Should I send them back for an exchange?

These shoes are my fist goodyear-welted shoes.

Quite frankly none of issues you raised pose a concern to your long term use and enjoyment of the shoes.

2 mm difference is barely perceptible to the human eye, and within tolerance for a hand crafted product. With the same mindset, you'd still be complaining if you spent thousands on a bespoke pair.

Lookint at your photos I don't see much wrong with the soles. Some curvature is designed into the bottom, due to curves on the original last. If you want 100% flat bottom, perhaps look into cheaper non-welted shoes? THey will use simpler non-contoured lasts.

If you want constructive advice, I suggest focusing on the fit and quality of upper+insole. The sole and heel will be worn down and replaced multiple times during the life of the shoe. So what shape they're in out of the box is hardly relevant.

Robert Falls

Reaction score
I bought a pair of black plain cap toe's from the Maestro line. I like the New Rey last quite a bit, it's more slender in the waist than the Elton.
If you have a fat foot that might be an issue with this last, normal or slender feet and order 1/2 size larger than your regular size as they state.
The leather is better quality, the shoes are lighter and more flexible.

My only real annoyance is they are a bit squeaky, but sometimes I don't notice it.

I think they are worth the money for the better leather.

anyone tried a pair of the Maestro Hand welted on the new Rey last?

these look outstanding:
https://www.meermin.es/en/10206419100000md-10-102064-burgundy-naturcalf-d-burdeos.html

For that kind of money, they seem to be suggesting some pretty good quality calf and the soles are a work of art!

v4257

Reaction score
Long time GYW wearer. Just bought my first pair of Meermin boots (in no small part to the praise they receive on this forum). My boots are Oak antique on Elton last.

Unfortunately they are being a terror to break in. Now I certainly expected some break in - so I started things by wearing them around the house and during short jaunts around town (<30 mts). But after a few days of short wears - they are still quite uncomfortable to walk in.

I am a bit surprised as my first pair of AEs (which I also tried due to this forum!) have been comfortable enough to walk in from Day-1. In fact I wore them to work (incl commute) on Day-2 and faced 0 problems.

So that is my Q: are Meermins especially troublesome to break in? If so - how long before you can wear them all day without perceptible discomfort? Finally - if someone could shed light on the cause for this apparent Meermin 'feature' - it would be appreciated.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads