• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Meermin Double Monk Strap Questions

Al Shosty

Reaction score
Hi Styleforum,

I have been lurking on here for quite some time, and am finally taking the plunge and opening a thread of my own. Thank you all in advance for radically rejigging my sense of style.

I have recently been bitten by the burgundy bug, and after scouring Jermyn Street (I live in London) to no avail, I stumbled upon this beautiful brand called Meermin. The two shoes that caught my eye were:

https://tinyurl.com/yaxdmh7e
and
https://tinyurl.com/yczw6h4q

I only have the budget to purchase one of these. I would be wearing either pair as part of a 'business-casual' outfit, and intend to wear them as much as possible on the weekends/nights out. My casual wardrobe basically consists of chinos (dark beige, blue, and medium gray) and dark blue jeans, combined with conservative blue/white striped shirts with a dash of pink occasionally thrown in. I may also wear them on Fridays at the office, but that wouldn't be their main purpose.

I have a few questions about them.
(1) I've always been told to stay away from multi-coloured shoes (like the first link) because of their lack of versatility and difficulty when it comes to polishing them. At the same time, while my head tells me to get the plainer pair, there's something undeniably alluring about that first pair I linked, and I think they'd go pretty well with most of my wardrobe ... What do you guys think?

(2) Most importantly, I have a question about sizing. I don't live in Spain (and don't have plans to travel there), so I'll be ordering online. I wear a UK size 7.5 Loake Cannon (that's their double monk-strap), though I've been told that I might have to size up with Meermins, especially if i pick the Elton last (I've got pretty wide feet). Would you guys suggest purchasing a size 8? If so, that multi-coloured pair is out of stock ...

(3) Finally, I've been told that Meermin's one of the best brands you can get for that kind of budget. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance to everyone!

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. Those aren’t multi-colored. They’re beautiful. Grab ‘em.
2. Best bet is to email them and ask. Or ask in the Meermin thread at Classics Menswear.
3. Not really. Meermin rocks by most accounts.

Shawl Lapel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll second everything Veremund said. Sizing can be tricky and Meermin's CS can be hit or miss but worth a shot. I think the depth of color on the first pair is a winner, and adds to their versatility.

jeremyleediaz

Reaction score
Hi Styleforum,

I have been lurking on here for quite some time, and am finally taking the plunge and opening a thread of my own. Thank you all in advance for radically rejigging my sense of style.

I have recently been bitten by the burgundy bug, and after scouring Jermyn Street (I live in London) to no avail, I stumbled upon this beautiful brand called Meermin. The two shoes that caught my eye were:

https://tinyurl.com/yaxdmh7e
and
https://tinyurl.com/yczw6h4q

I only have the budget to purchase one of these. I would be wearing either pair as part of a 'business-casual' outfit, and intend to wear them as much as possible on the weekends/nights out. My casual wardrobe basically consists of chinos (dark beige, blue, and medium gray) and dark blue jeans, combined with conservative blue/white striped shirts with a dash of pink occasionally thrown in. I may also wear them on Fridays at the office, but that wouldn't be their main purpose.

I have a few questions about them.
(1) I've always been told to stay away from multi-coloured shoes (like the first link) because of their lack of versatility and difficulty when it comes to polishing them. At the same time, while my head tells me to get the plainer pair, there's something undeniably alluring about that first pair I linked, and I think they'd go pretty well with most of my wardrobe ... What do you guys think?

(2) Most importantly, I have a question about sizing. I don't live in Spain (and don't have plans to travel there), so I'll be ordering online. I wear a UK size 7.5 Loake Cannon (that's their double monk-strap), though I've been told that I might have to size up with Meermins, especially if i pick the Elton last (I've got pretty wide feet). Would you guys suggest purchasing a size 8? If so, that multi-coloured pair is out of stock ...

(3) Finally, I've been told that Meermin's one of the best brands you can get for that kind of budget. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance to everyone!

I have 5 pairs from Meermin Mallorca from boot to wholecut to loafer. Where I work, a shoe of similar quality is $349. Meermin is VALUE by definition. I would recommend almost anything from them but I will give you the advice that their shoes usually take a good bit of breaking in. My wholecuts took about 10 wears before I felt like they were truly good.

Jack Erwin is also pretty good. Meermin takes it though.

Good luck!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads