• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Meermin and Crockett & Jones

DrewMill

Reaction score
I know these two brands are not comparable, but I'm curious...

So, I'm in the market for a new pair of suede loafers, and as usual I'm trying to maximize my dollar. Here are two brands I'm looking at.

The Meermin suede loafers are $195

The Crockett & Jones suede loafers are $560

Are the C&Js three times better? Should I save and buy a pair? Or are the Meermins a better "value"? Are there any other brands that might be a better maximization of my dollar spent? Cheanay? TLB Mallorca? Something else? Would love to hear any and all thoughts! Thanks!

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The real difference becomes apparent after a few years of wearing.

I don’t own Meermin so I can’t relate to the difference. I can attest to the quality of C&J, however, and I’m at a point in my life wear I’m comfortable buying less but of higher quality.

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
With loafers I'd strongly suggest buying what you can try on in-person. It can be quite hard to get a good fit on loafers and there aren't laces to adjust them. You can also try stores with very understanding return policies, but it is still important here to not just accept a fit because you already have the shoe. If you buy a shoe, pretend that you have not bought it yet until you have determined that the fit is great.

notdos

Reaction score
Meermin, like all shoes, will give longer service when worn in rotation with several other shoes.
As far as I’m concerned, this is the most important rule in the shoe game.
Phillip

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Meermin, like all shoes, will give longer service when worn in rotation with several other shoes.
As far as I’m concerned, this is the most important rule in the shoe game.
Phillip
Last longer than Crockett and Jones? Or just in general ?
Will C&J also not last longer in rotation?

notdos

Reaction score

If you only owned a single pair of shoes, C&J would be better than Meermin. But overall, no brand is going to last nearly as long without being in rotation with a minimum of 3-5 other pairs.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

you have to properly care for either and not abuse them. This means treating the suede, brushing it, using shoe trees and trying to avoid extreme exposure to the elements. Part of this caring is proper rotation.

Assuming you do that for both pair equally, your original question is still best answered by how will each pair hold up after a few years.

Selection and quality of the materials used to make the shoe don’t always show their differences immediately. It takes time.

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you only owned a single pair of shoes, C&J would be better than Meermin. But overall, no brand is going to last nearly as long without being in rotation with a minimum of 3-5 other pairs.
But are we also not paying more for one that has better leather quality, is built better and has absolutely no pain breaking in?

Its like buying a corvette and a 911. Both are fast but one will outlast the other, is build better and also in general drives better

40 degrees in Utah the new corvette overheated on the 2nd consecutive lap while the 911 ran 4 laps without break with no issues.??

notdos

Reaction score
But are we also not paying more for one that has better leather quality, is built better and has absolutely no pain breaking in?

Its like buying a corvette and a 911. Both are fast but one will outlast the other, is build better and also in general drives better

40 degrees in Utah the new corvette overheated on the 2nd consecutive lap while the 911 ran 4 laps without break with no issues.??

Definitely paying more for a better product. I love my C&J’s. But, I feel like there’s a lot of “new” guys that think if they buy one pair of
EG’s, they can expect them to last forever. I’ve found that the key is rotation, regardless of initial quality. ??

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely paying more for a better product. I love my C&J’s. But, I feel like there’s a lot of “new” guys that think if they buy one pair of
EG’s, they can expect them to last forever. I’ve found that the key is rotation, regardless of initial quality. ??
Can’t wear the same shoe two days in a row! Nasty!!

DrewMill

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input so far. I absolutely know that C&J are better shoes with better components and construction, and will most likely last longer. I'm mostly curious about how much better C&J is than Meermin (are they 3 times better as thier price tags indicate), and diminishing returns in menswear. Also, what brands might be the most optimal as far as diminishing returns go.

notdos

Reaction score
The point to my post was..how will you wear them?
If you’re going to own one pair, and they’re going to be worn multiple times a week..def C&J.
If you’re adding a pair to a multi shoe rotation..go with Meermin. Gonna be stiffer up front, but will last very well in rotation. My .02

DrewMill

Reaction score
The point to my post was..how will you wear them?
If you’re going to own one pair, and they’re going to be worn multiple times a week..def C&J.
If you’re adding a pair to a multi shoe rotation..go with Meermin. Gonna be stiffer up front, but will last very well in rotation. My .02

Thanks. I have a rotation of enough shoes that I would were them once or twice a week. Although I would probably wear them more if I like them.

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input so far. I absolutely know that C&J are better shoes with better components and construction, and will most likely last longer. I'm mostly curious about how much better C&J is than Meermin (are they 3 times better as thier price tags indicate), and diminishing returns in menswear. Also, what brands might be the most optimal as far as diminishing returns go.

I don't know what 3 times better means. Three times more durable? Certainly not. Three times more comfortable? That will depend on the wearer. Three times more beautiful? That will depend on your eyes.

If you just want durability for price, get a pair of New Balances. You get proper shoes for aesthetics, but you also want them to be durable and comfortable. A lot depends on your budget, but what is most important is that you get shoes you like. You seem to be looking at brown suede penny loafers and those are some of the most versatile shoes, at least aesthetically. I think Alden's unlined suede penny loafers are nice. I have a pair and find them comfortable, versatile, and stylish. If you are in America, Aldens are also easier to try on in-person. There are also a wide range of widths, which is more important with loafers.
1611107415573.png

This article from Die, Workwear! is helpful. Here are 3 instagram accounts with a lot of Alden loafer goodness: 1, 2, 3. I think it is also telling that people outside the trad world wear these shoes. Simon at Permanent Style owns a pair, and the guys and the Armoury wear them a lot, or at least they used to. They used to be a big part of the Drake's aesthetic.

I am sure other brands are good too--most menswear brands you hear about on this site make a good product--but these are the ones I like best.
1611108524686.png

1611108583166.png

1611108613545.png

1611108734999.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics