Medium-timer needs to buy black oxford.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by southbound35, Jan 24, 2013.

1. southbound35

southbound35 Senior member

My girlfriend's brother is getting married in May and I'd like to buy a pair of black dress oxfords to wear to the wedding.

The only oxford I currently own is an Alden 9015, which is a #8 cordovan perforated captoe.

These are not my shoes, but an image pulled from Google of a pair in similar condition to mine.

I'd like to have a "nice" pair of black oxfords for dressy occasions and figure now is as good a time as any to pick some up. Since my current job is business casual and my social calendar rarely requires me to wear a suit (occasional weddings, funerals, etc.), I can't justify spending $1,000 or more on a pair of Edward Green (or similarly priced) shoes that would be worn 2-3 times a year.

I think I'd be comfortable in the $400-600 range (maybe a bit more). I'd like something a bit more elegant than Alden or Allen Edmonds. I'm wondering if Crockett & Jones or Carmina might be good options and would be open to other suggestions. Based on pictures I've seen, I like the Audley and the Belgrave from C&J; I'm not as familiar with Carmina's offerings.

I prefer a hint of square over round. For intance, the Lonsdale is a bit too round for me. I like the Westbourne, but wonder if it might have too much brogueing for a shoe to be worn to a funeral.

Any other suggestions for a quality, elegant black oxford?

2. Macallan

Macallan Senior member

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013

3. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

I dunno--I like your Aldens.

4. meursault42

meursault42 Well-Known Member

5. Liquidus

Liquidus Senior member

Based on this, I definitely recommend the Audley and Belgrave. About $580 plus shipping if you order from C&J UK direct. You can get free shipping from Robert Old but there may be delays.

6. Toffee

Toffee Active Member

Why not buy a G&G "Oxford" or the EG Claverton? There are sales on right now which could mean paying less than $700.00 for the best RTW quality available.

7. southbound35

Thanks. Will definitely look into Cheaney, Church's, and Alfred Sargent

They've served me well for nearly two decades. Bought them sometime in the mid-90's.

Thanks for the suggestion. Definitely prefer oxfords over bluchers, but I don't see a BB option that is an oxford with the toe shape I want (with the exception of the Edward Green model)

Thank you.

8. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Senior member

+1 on the C&J Audley.

I have it, in black, and with 3+ years of regular all-weather wear in NYC (~once every week or two), they look great. The leather is very good, in that it seems to be very strong/hardwearing, yet looks great with only occasional polishes (just hit them with a horsehair brush a few times after each wear).

Leather is "german calf" according to the lady who sold them to me back when they were located above Turnbull & Asser in NYC. Soles have also held up very well, not anywhere near needing a resole.

Only downside is they are a bit stiff when you break them in, but I attribute that to robust materials (vs. G&G, EG, etc, which also wear well, but seem to use lighter and thinner leathers).

Another plus is that C&J stores are good about carrying lots of sizes and widths.

All in all a good value - quality of construction and detailing higher than Alden, but half the price of EG, G&G, etc, which have nicer detailing, but no real longevity upside.

9. AlexE

AlexE Senior member

You should consider the C&J Hallam, if you like the overall shape of the Westbourne, but would like to have no brogueing. Both shoes are on the same last, but the Hallam is a straight cap toe oxford.

10. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

11. chogall

chogall Senior member

12. southbound35

If you have a pic of your three-year-old Audleys, I'd love to see it. If possible possibly are WAYWN-type pic. I'd like to get an idea how they look on. One of my concerns is the length of the cap.

I like the look of the Hallam and the Westbourne. I just wonder if they're a bit too elongated for me. I need to see if any local stores (Dallas) carry C&J. I haven't seen any shops, but I haven't been looking, either.

Those are good-looking shoes, but I prefer a captoe.

Definitely an option. It appears to not be too elongated nor overly rounded.

13. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

search functions the way to go man [​IMG] - been covered at least a billion times.

if ur willing to spend $600 just go straight to the top and get a pair of hand made - lasted, welted - Old Englishers from Vass.

There's simply none better- these are in U, F lasts respectively

[​IMG][​IMG]

if u don't want to wait for hand made, try Carmina RTW- , in the Simpson last

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013

14. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

Are the Vass going to be custom made to your foot shape? Does it require traveling to Austria or wherever?