• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Medium-timer needs to buy black oxford.

southbound35

Reaction score
My girlfriend's brother is getting married in May and I'd like to buy a pair of black dress oxfords to wear to the wedding.

The only oxford I currently own is an Alden 9015, which is a #8 cordovan perforated captoe.

These are not my shoes, but an image pulled from Google of a pair in similar condition to mine.

I'd like to have a "nice" pair of black oxfords for dressy occasions and figure now is as good a time as any to pick some up. Since my current job is business casual and my social calendar rarely requires me to wear a suit (occasional weddings, funerals, etc.), I can't justify spending $1,000 or more on a pair of Edward Green (or similarly priced) shoes that would be worn 2-3 times a year.

I think I'd be comfortable in the $400-600 range (maybe a bit more). I'd like something a bit more elegant than Alden or Allen Edmonds. I'm wondering if Crockett & Jones or Carmina might be good options and would be open to other suggestions. Based on pictures I've seen, I like the Audley and the Belgrave from C&J; I'm not as familiar with Carmina's offerings.

I prefer a hint of square over round. For intance, the Lonsdale is a bit too round for me. I like the Westbourne, but wonder if it might have too much brogueing for a shoe to be worn to a funeral.

Any other suggestions for a quality, elegant black oxford?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I dunno--I like your Aldens.

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think I'd be comfortable in the $400-600 range (maybe a bit more). I'd like something a bit more elegant than Alden or Allen Edmonds. I'm wondering if Crockett & Jones or Carmina might be good options and would be open to other suggestions. Based on pictures I've seen, I like the Audley and the Belgrave from C&J; I'm not as familiar with Carmina's offerings.

I prefer a hint of square over round. For intance, the Lonsdale is a bit too round for me. I like the Westbourne, but wonder if it might have too much brogueing for a shoe to be worn to a funeral.

Based on this, I definitely recommend the Audley and Belgrave. About $580 plus shipping if you order from C&J UK direct. You can get free shipping from Robert Old but there may be delays.

Toffee

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
My girlfriend's brother is getting married in May and I'd like to buy a pair of black dress oxfords to wear to the wedding.

The only oxford I currently own is an Alden 9015, which is a #8 cordovan perforated captoe.

These are not my shoes, but an image pulled from Google of a pair in similar condition to mine.

I'd like to have a "nice" pair of black oxfords for dressy occasions and figure now is as good a time as any to pick some up. Since my current job is business casual and my social calendar rarely requires me to wear a suit (occasional weddings, funerals, etc.), I can't justify spending $1,000 or more on a pair of Edward Green (or similarly priced) shoes that would be worn 2-3 times a year.

Why not buy a G&G "Oxford" or the EG Claverton? There are sales on right now which could mean paying less than $700.00 for the best RTW quality available.

southbound35

Reaction score

C&J would be a good choice - you should also consider Cheaney (which depending on the range will the same price or cheaper then C&J) and Church's. You could also consider Alfred Sargent.

Thanks. Will definitely look into Cheaney, Church's, and Alfred Sargent

I dunno--I like your Aldens.

They've served me well for nearly two decades. Bought them sometime in the mid-90's.

Thanks for the suggestion. Definitely prefer oxfords over bluchers, but I don't see a BB option that is an oxford with the toe shape I want (with the exception of the Edward Green model)

Based on this, I definitely recommend the Audley and Belgrave. About $580 plus shipping if you order from C&J UK direct. You can get free shipping from Robert Old but there may be delays.

Thank you.

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 on the C&J Audley.

I have it, in black, and with 3+ years of regular all-weather wear in NYC (~once every week or two), they look great. The leather is very good, in that it seems to be very strong/hardwearing, yet looks great with only occasional polishes (just hit them with a horsehair brush a few times after each wear).

Leather is "german calf" according to the lady who sold them to me back when they were located above Turnbull & Asser in NYC. Soles have also held up very well, not anywhere near needing a resole.

Only downside is they are a bit stiff when you break them in, but I attribute that to robust materials (vs. G&G, EG, etc, which also wear well, but seem to use lighter and thinner leathers).

Another plus is that C&J stores are good about carrying lots of sizes and widths.

All in all a good value - quality of construction and detailing higher than Alden, but half the price of EG, G&G, etc, which have nicer detailing, but no real longevity upside.

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You should consider the C&J Hallam, if you like the overall shape of the Westbourne, but would like to have no brogueing. Both shoes are on the same last, but the Hallam is a straight cap toe oxford.

southbound35

Reaction score

+1 on the C&J Audley.

If you have a pic of your three-year-old Audleys, I'd love to see it. If possible possibly are WAYWN-type pic. I'd like to get an idea how they look on. One of my concerns is the length of the cap.

You should consider the C&J Hallam, if you like the overall shape of the Westbourne, but would like to have no brogueing. Both shoes are on the same last, but the Hallam is a straight cap toe oxford.

I like the look of the Hallam and the Westbourne. I just wonder if they're a bit too elongated for me. I need to see if any local stores (Dallas) carry C&J. I haven't seen any shops, but I haven't been looking, either.

Kent Wang has a plain-toe balmoral that might fit your needs for $350. I prefer this style over the cap-toe for social events, as it doesn't seem so business-y.
http://www.kentwang.com/shoes/benchgrade-plaintoe-balmoral.html

Those are good-looking shoes, but I prefer a captoe.

C&J Connaught. 

Definitely an option. It appears to not be too elongated nor overly rounded.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

search functions the way to go man
teacha.gif
- been covered at least a billion times.

if ur willing to spend $600 just go straight to the top and get a pair of hand made - lasted, welted - Old Englishers from Vass.

There's simply none better- these are in U, F lasts respectively

if u don't want to wait for hand made, try Carmina RTW- , in the Simpson last

Last edited:

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

search functions the way to go man :teach: - been covered at least a billion times. if ur willing to spend $600 just go straight to the top and get a pair of hand made - lasted, welted - Old Englishers from Vass. There's simply none better- these are in U, F lasts respectively if u don't want to wait for hand made, try Carmina RTW- , in the Simpson last
Are the Vass going to be custom made to your foot shape? Does it require traveling to Austria or wherever?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads