• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Medium Grey vs. Charcoal Suit?

JeffsWood

Reaction score
Navy?

Both look good, but if I had to buy one suit and suit only it would be Navy.

I love medium gray, it really opens up some nice brown shoe options, I find you can dress it down a bit better than the other options.

Reaction score
Why not get both?
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How will you be using the suit? Is it for work? What is the dress code for work? Is it for a formal occasion or interview? Is it for fun, meaning dressing up for social occasions? It makes a big difference. The color and style of your suit sends a message like, "I mean serious business." or "I'm relaxed, but I'm still a professional." or "I want to have fun but still look classy."

So, what image do you want your suit to project?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd get charcoal if I only had one suit.

Jay687

Reaction score
I will be wearing it for work on rare occasions (generally business casual environment). Other than that, just for dressing up for social occasions.

I MIGHT wear it to an interview depending on what I feel like deciding in terms of career choice (currently in public accounting). Would the medium gray not be acceptable for job interviews? The interviews would likely be for accounting / finance jobs.

And both is an option I suppose... but it's a pricey one! Especially considering I won't wear a suit very often or anything.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For an occasional suit that you want to rely on for more formal occasions such as a job interview, go with the charcoal or dark gray. If you wear it infrequently, you will look sharp and draw approving looks. I mean that people will notice you, especially around the office.

You can supplement the suit with a smart sport coat in navy or light to medium gray. You should think about a sport coat with some texture, a small check pattern or glen plaid. You can match the sport coat with chinos, dark jeans, or odd trousers (gray flannel etc.). It's great for a night out when you want to dress up or for the business casual office. A well tailored jacket will always improve your appearance.

If you want some flare, you can also pick up a vest (waist coat). Again, it goes well with chinos or odd trousers and a button down oxford with or without a tie. You'll make an impression and stand out from the crowd (if that is what you want).

Coin

Reaction score
I notice that both of those suits are listed on the site as charcoal. I assume that the darker is the charcoal and the lighter is in fact medium grey. I'm shopping for a suit as well, and find the terms used by manufacturers for different shades of grey very frustrating. When browsing brand and department store websites I find the classifications seem arbitrary.

I really like the medium grey you posted though. I too am in the accounting field. I think it would be an excellent choice for the often ambiguous business-casual environment.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads