1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Medium gray suit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by cataan, Nov 25, 2012.

1. cataan

cataan Well-Known Member

I have a charcoal gray suit (with stripes) that goes with pretty much any color shirt and tie. I am considering a medium gray suit but, because it is lighter in color, just doesn't seem to look as good with various colors of shirts and ties. Would appreciate any thoughts or advice on this since gray suits are supposedly a staple in a man's wardrobe. The suit I am considering is, specifically, a medium gray, vested, with white bead stripes. For some reason lighter suit colors just don't appeal to me.

2. cataan

cataan Well-Known Member

I will add that I have: 3 navy suits (one multi-stripe, one pinstripe, one self-stripe), 3 black suits (one narrow herring bone self-stripe, one vested back stripe, one with almost non-noticeable white and blue stripe), 1 charcoal gray striped suit. As you can see my suits are on the darker side.

3. Twotone

Twotone Senior member

I too, like gray in a few shades lighter than charcoal. It fits my completion better than navy or charcoal. But I don't like medium grey with pinstripes and prefer more subtle textures such as small herringbone or birds eye. Regarding shirt/tie matching, hit one or two high-end mens' stores and play around with various suit/shirt/tie colors, textures, etc. For shirts, white is most "business formal", while light pinks and blues work well. Micro pencil strips, thin light window checks, and wider stripes in blues, blacks and burgundy can work too. Post photos when you decide.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  4. cataan

cataan Well-Known Member

This is the suit.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  5. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

The difference between the grey in the picture and the darkest charcoal grey that you can find is negligible to most people. Once you get past a certain shade, the same colors work with everything. I think that you're overreacting.

6. Macallan

Macallan Senior member

In my opinion, plain med-grey is most versatile suit option

Have you considered a plain suit?

7. duggyald

duggyald Senior member

I think it's good to have both the lighter and darker shade of grays, to my opinion, both are quite versatile. Having white stripes may seem daunting but the key would have to be pairing them with a solid tie to balance the look.

8. aph999

aph999 Senior member

I have several light grey solid suits and they are striking; I get compliments all the time, and I have to agree, there is something about a light grey sharkskin suit that makes someone stand out.

9. lychyrychy

lychyrychy Senior member

:foo:

10. lychyrychy

lychyrychy Senior member

:slayer:

11. cataan

cataan Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone.

I like patterns on suits, just my preference, and since I am short I like the pattern to be stripes.

If I can get this website to post images (I've done the reply/preview thing and it does not work) I will post pics of two custom-made suits I'll have this weekend. :)