• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Medical student asks what to wear with my white coat?

bowmanjp

Reaction score
I recently started medical school and now wear business clothes with a short white coat several days a week. One thing I did not think of now that it is starting to get chilly is what to wear with it to keep warm? I have a trench coat for bad weather and I think that would be ok, but I would think an overcoat would look weird with it. I don't know of too much else I could wear under it? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just take off your coat and wear a normal jacket...

I think I lived in scrubs for those years mostly anyway.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I recently started medical school and now wear business clothes with a short white coat several days a week. One thing I did not think of now that it is starting to get chilly is what to wear with it to keep warm? I have a trench coat for bad weather and I think that would be ok, but I would think an overcoat would look weird with it. I don't know of too much else I could wear under it? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Am I missing something? You mean outside the wards, right? Take off the white coat, and wear whatever you like on top instead.

(Personally, I could never stand wearing a white coat; I think I wore them for my first 6 months or so and then never again, outside of one or two attachments where someone insisted. They never fit right, are inordinately hot and look a bit daft IMO too. Especially these days where you don't even need to carry lots of books/etc as you can get an electronic version of almost anything you need (so don't need the big pockets). But that's besides the point of what you're asking.)

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Surely you would NEVER wear your white coat outside the wards? It is intended to cover your clothes to prevent blood etc contaminating them and also the reverse. What have you learned about hygiene?

The question surely does not then arise.

Last edited:

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They're pretty much filth magnets anyway; and no-one ever washed them as frequently as they ought to. Another reason I didn't see much point in wearing them.

These days, many acute wards are - theoretically - bare below the elbow anyway, with white coats being a thing of the past as a result. Scrubs are far more common than they used to be in the UK, as a result. Even so, clinicians in other specialities frequently retain normal business dress, removing jackets and rolling up shirt sleeves as needed. Thankfully, my own speciality is far enough away from all the messy blood & gore to not need more than basic hygiene practices (handwashing, etc.)

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Am I missing something? You mean outside the wards, right? Take off the white coat, and wear whatever you like on top instead.

(Personally, I could never stand wearing a white coat; I think I wore them for my first 6 months or so and then never again, outside of one or two attachments where someone insisted. They never fit right, are inordinately hot and look a bit daft IMO too. Especially these days where you don't even need to carry lots of books/etc as you can get an electronic version of almost anything you need (so don't need the big pockets). But that's besides the point of what you're asking.)

You didn't have yours tailored with a nice spalla camicia?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads