• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Medellin, Colombia

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Any advice for Medellin? Places to eat, things to see, somewhere to get some art or something locally made? What is the street food like?

Leaving here Thursday, departing there Tuesday mid-day.

Thanks guys!
smile.gif

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Can't comment on the street food there in particular, but street food in the tropics is a risk in general. Don't know if you saw a travel doc but they typically hand out pamphlets on what you can and can't eat. It's very restrictive: no uncooked fruits/vegetables, everything needs to be boiled, meat well-done, etc. Obviously, drink only bottled water. I think it's best to go down there assuming you will get sick and to just be prepared for it. Cipro is your friend. Honestly, if you follow doc's recommendations, your trip will be boring because you won't be able to eat anything that actually tastes good. The one suggestion i stuck to religiously was bottled water. I didn't drink anything except coke, water, and champagne. Don't forget to brush your teeth with bottled water too. I was really happy I brought wet wipes though. Seriously.
laugh.gif
Have fun. Oh and as always when going to colombia, especially if you're gonna be travelling around between cities, check the travel advisories. Be careful with taxis and don't paint a target on your back by wearing anything too flashy.

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
Any advice for Medellin? Places to eat, things to see, somewhere to get some art or something locally made? What is the street food like?

Leaving here Thursday, departing there Tuesday mid-day.

Thanks guys!
smile.gif

take geesk comments with grain a of salt, that stuf he wrote abotu is mostly over done paranoia. i have never been to medellin yet. but buy food adn drink from street vendors all the time in colombia I have nver gotten sick once. the street food is decent they have your standard perros calientes, juice stand etc.
they make thing with maiz though on the street. one thing ot look for are small restarautns that specialize in fried foods, in shape they the look like arancini or panzerotti, but they are filled with various differnt things then you have selctionof abotu 10 sauces to put on them.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't think it's paranoia. About a dozen of my friends have been to south america and most have gotten sick while they were down there. I was sick multiple times. My brother went down with an entire class and a good chunk of them got sick during their 6 weeks down there. I said in my post that what doctors recommend is overly paranoid (and almost impossible to stick to) and that you won't enjoy yourself if you take it to those extremes, but things like drinking bottled water is both smart and easy to do. That's the only thing I was really adamant about in my post. Edina can go down without cipro and immodium if he wants, but if he gets sick, he'll wish he had been prepared. It's so easy to prepare yourself that I don't see why you wouldn't. Also, if you go to the same place often, it's quite possible that you have developed a tolerance for the various bugs you can get down there. After all, the locals aren't always getting sick.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Don't know if you saw a travel doc but they typically hand out pamphlets on what you can and can't eat. It's very restrictive: no uncooked fruits/vegetables, everything needs to be boiled, meat well-done, etc. Obviously, drink only bottled water.

Why go to the tropics if you can't eat the fruit?

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Eat at Crepes y Waffles. I don't know if they have one in Medellin, but they do in Bogota. I never had any problem with getting sick while I was there, but it's sensible to take precautions.

It's a beautiful country with lovely people. That said, don't go anywhere alone.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
never been to medellen. I eat the fruit and drink fruit juice all the time in colombia, though.

the mandarine juice is spectacular, but try all the fruits you don't have at home - lolo, granadia, and anything else that you don't recognize.

there is something called bandacha piasa (not the right spelling) which is basically a big plate of beans, rice, meat and other stuff. eat one. also, try the acheacho, sort of chicken soup on steroids

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
also try the aguardiente the way they make it in colombia is unique. also i would reccomend aquila if oyu like beer and rum tres esquinas

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like some others in this thread, I have never been to Columbia. Therefore, I will also provide authoritative advice: kill Daniel Barrera Barrera for lots of money.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
Why go to the tropics if you can't eat the fruit?

People have a reading comprehension problem. I said that the travel docs recommended those diet restrictions and that I thought they represented a good way to avoid having any enjoyment on your trip.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It seems by your clarification, I read you right: Again, why go to the tropics if you can't eat the fruit? It's like going on a safari to take a nap.
facepalm.gif

Milpool

Reaction score
Colombia is a fantastic country. In the major cities, I eat whatever and drink the tap water. Outside of the major cities, I stick with hot foods and bottled beverages or hot drinks unless I'm way up in the mountains.

Everyone is spot on, try the fruits, there will be tons. Lulo, maracuya, granadilla, pitaya, guanabana, etc. Also try lots of different foods; tamales, bandeja paisa, ajiaco, chicharrone, mondongo, etc.

Drink canelazo and aguardiente.

The people are super friendly. The women from Medellin are some of the most beautiful in the world.

Just watch for artists on the streets. You can get some really amazing stuff for very cheap.

Have fun!!!

The one warning I'll give about Colombia. . . I hope you speak some Spanish. They don't seem to speak much English there.

wetnose

Reaction score
I have been there and would love to return. A few tips: Parque Ileras for nightlife, Plaza Oviedo/Tesoro Mall during the day. There is a museum in the center of town that's worth a look but don't dally after dark - it gets very dangerous there. You have to go to Mango's - the most amazing club in Medellin. The eye candy alone is worth the trip. (google images for mangos medellin / paisa and you'll see what I mean) Try the steak - amazing and dirt cheap. Try taking the cablecar for a view of the city. Check this page out for other stuff to see. Ditto about the spanish - if you don't know spanish, at least pick up some. I can get you the ph# of an english speaking cabbie if you need it. Are you getting picked up?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scarphe
also try the aguardiente the way they make it in colombia is unique.

yeah, but that is real hangover territory. they seem to open a bottle a finish it at once, sometimes with lunch. hardcore

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads