• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Med School Interview Help

Contingency Plan

Reaction score
Got an interview next Tuesday for med school (University College London.) Any advice from physicians/med students would be most appreciated!

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not knowing what you're looking for, I offer this:

Sound smart.

Contingency Plan

Reaction score
They told me it won't be an academic test, so I guess they're looking for perceptive analysis of the NHS *sigh*

fareau

Reaction score
laugh.gif
Originally Posted by Contingency Plan
Got an interview next Tuesday for med school (University College London.) Any advice from physicians/med students would be most appreciated!

1) I would recommend that you have a prepared answer to the usual ice-breaker, "tell us a little about yourself". It seems like the simplest question, but it often confounds people.
2) I would be prepared to answer the question, "why do you want to study medicine" or "what is it about medicine that interests you"; try to avoid the usual "I want to help people" response, which sounds rather trite when you've heard it a 1000 times before.
3) Be able to list at least three or four personal qualities that you think will make you an effective doctor.
4) You may be asked what experience or exposure you have had to the medical profession. This is usually to get a sense of how informed your career choice might be. You are in the UK and I will assume that you are coming out of secondary school (correct?), so they may not expect that you have done volunteer work or some similar activity.
5) It might be nice to prepare for questions like, "is there an area of medicine that interests you?" or "where do you see yourself in 10 years?" or "do you have any ideas or plans for what you want to do after graduation?". Some times if you have a more structured long-term plan, it conveys a maturity and depth of thought about why you are choosing this field and what you hope to achieve.

These are non-academic questions that are often asked. If you can answer these honestly (and don't sound scripted!), you should fare well. Hope this is helpful and good luck!!

watchcollector2454

Reaction score
i interviewed at 3 universities in the uk for med school and their academic questions had little to do with the nhs and more to do with the basic sciences. for one i was given two scientific papers and asked to interpret data. for the second i was given a question about ion channels with graphs and told to explain what the graphs meant. and for the third the interviewers asked me to discuss transplant rejection.

are you applying for graduate entry by any chance?

Contingency Plan

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips fareau; and I've applied for undergrad entry. Interview tomorrow
ffffuuuu.gif

darnelled

Reaction score
Say goodbye to life for a few years, then reap the rewards of the investment you've made.

Don't worry too much about the debts you'll build as I took a job in an underserved area and got it all paid of by the NHSC . There are plenty of simialr options.

fareau

Reaction score
Originally Posted by darnelled
Say goodbye to life for a few years, then reap the rewards of the investment you've made.

I might adopt a slightly different tack and suggest that you enjoy these years as much as possible. I actually had some of the best times of my life during medical school. It was a real "burn the candle at both ends" type of existence, with time spent working hard and playing harder. In retrospect, it was the right thing for me to do since I was able to spend my post-graduate years with a more ernest focus on my career.

It is obviously very important that you digest the large volume of didactic information that you will be taught over the next several years. But with regard to bed side manner, you will learn more spending an evening sitting on a bar-stool and talking to a complete stranger than you will ever learn in a classroom. Get out there, live it up, and explore life. You will gain humility, refine your sense of humor, and gather a sense of proportion, all of which will give you the perspective that you need to take care of the sick and infirm. Trust me, you can't learn it from a book and it won't be reliably taught in the classroom. Just make sure that you also keep up with your classes!!

Congratulations on getting into med school.

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fareau
I might adopt a slightly different tack and suggest that you enjoy these years as much as possible. I actually had some of the best times of my life during medical school. It was a real "burn the candle at both ends" type of existence, with time spent working hard and playing harder. In retrospect, it was the right thing for me to do since I was able to spend my post-graduate years with a more ernest focus on my career.

It is obviously very important that you digest the large volume of didactic information that you will be taught over the next several years. But with regard to bed side manner, you will learn more spending an evening sitting on a bar-stool and talking to a complete stranger than you will ever learn in a classroom. Get out there, live it up, and explore life. You will gain humility, refine your sense of humor, and gather a sense of proportion, all of which will give you the perspective that you need to take care of the sick and infirm. Trust me, you can't learn it from a book and it won't be reliably taught in the classroom. Just make sure that you also keep up with your classes!!

Congratulations on getting into med school.

I couldn't agree more.

Contingency Plan

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys, I really can't wait to start this fall, let alone start treating patients
biggrin.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads