• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Med school interview coming up, need advice

amazingmuzmo

Reaction score
This is what I've bought, let me know if it works.

So I went with this suit:

Shirt is light blue (not this tie):

With either this tie:

Or this one:

Which tie works better, or should I not use either of those and get a different one? Does the outfit mesh overall? I need to look more on the conservative side rather than flashy/trendy because the medical field is rather conservative itself.

MRMan

Reaction score
I've gone through med school interviews many years ago and have been on the other side of the table several times. You will look better than nearly everyone, interviewers included. The medical profession in general dresses terribly: ties with no jackets, ill-fitting shirts; clunky ergonomic clogs.

Dark grey/charcoal is classic, as is the light blue shirt, but if you want to stay super conservative, wear a white shirt. There is a great link here. It's best to not be remembered for your clothes, as usually it's for something too fashionable for this usually very conservative crowd.

I vote for the first tie.

If you wear a pocket square you'll probably be the only one, but that shouldn't stop you. A nice nice white linen square on an interviewee looks polished in my opinion.

Good luck!

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nothing new to add here - swap the blue shirt for a white one and I prefer the first tie. Best of luck. Charcoal or navy are both good options for job interview suits. And black dress shoes, not brown.

Balfour

Reaction score
I vote for the first tie, too, although don't pay much attention to the English guy on something like this.

The pocket square is verging on extinction in England in business and professional circles, bizarrely enough. As a result, although I wear pocket squares regularly, I would not wear one to an interview. No one will object to its absence - why run the risk that someone will object to its presence?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I've gone through med school interviews many years ago and have been on the other side of the table several times. You will look better than nearly everyone, interviewers included. The medical profession in general dresses terribly: ties with no jackets, ill-fitting shirts; clunky ergonomic clogs. 

Dark grey/charcoal is classic, as is the light blue shirt, but if you want to stay super conservative, wear a white shirt. There is a great link here. It's best to not be remembered for your clothes, as usually it's for something too fashionable for this usually very conservative crowd. 

I vote for the first tie. 

If you wear a pocket square you'll probably be the only one, but that shouldn't stop you. A nice nice white linen square on an interviewee looks polished in my opinion. 

Good luck!
+1. You're likely to be the best dressed at the interview and among fellow applicants. I also prefer the first of the two ties. I'd forgo the ps.

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You will already look great. I would perhaps go with a more conservative solid color tie. Depending on your institution flair might not be taken well.

I am currently an MSII. Congrats, hope your interview goes well

amazingmuzmo

Reaction score
If I went with a solid color tie, what colors would go well with the charcoal suit & light blue shirt? I'd say red, but supposedly you should avoid that color for interviews...

Last edited:

heli0x

Reaction score
+1 to all of the above. I went through the process a couple years back, and some of the outfits i saw on the interview trail were pretty bad (and that was even before i was a regular here). So you'll definitely be the best dressed in the group, and about half did white shirt, half blue, I really don't think it matters. And good luck

Balfour

Reaction score
If I went with a solid color tie, what colors would go well with the charcoal suit & light blue shirt? I'd say red, but supposedly you should avoid that color for interviews...

Burgundy / wine (not fire-engine red). But I think your first tie is fine.

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the biggest point is that you should wear whatever you feel most confident in. That psychological "edge" will help you much more than anything else.

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also make sure to get the necessary alterations to make the suit fit you as well as possible. I conduct a lot of interviews and it surprises me how many people show up with baggy and ill fitting suits. I'd almost rather they not wear a suit in those cases.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The suit is too fashion-forward (for example, skinny lapels), but too late now and if is coordinated well with other, more classic clothing, that shouldn't be a problem.

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Charcoal suit is great. I would go with a white shirt instead of light blue for interviews. For the tie, would go with something more subtle, either a navy or burgandy. (FYI- I do some interviews for med school and don't pay that much attention to what someone is wearing as long as it doesn't stick out).

adamdurbin

Reaction score
Don't stress about the suit. If it fits then it's fine. Doctors don't expect wide lapels.

Two things:
1. No pocket square. Despite it looking neat, you will be remembered for this more than anything else, in a med school interview.

2. Tie your tie all the way up and button your top button. I've seen far too many med school applicants (and residency applicants too) mess it up by looking sloppy in that regard.

Good luck!

amazingmuzmo

Reaction score
Whew, this thread was from a while ago! I ended up going with that suit, but a white shirt underneath and a different tie. I've been on 5 interviews so far and received many compliments on how good I looked. I have another interview coming up in about a month and will use the suit and combo mentioned, thanks everyone for the help.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads