• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEC Wool Hoodie

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is the Mountain Equipment Co-op Glacier Merino Full Zip Hoodie (86% wool) in Marine. It's on sale (probably being discontinued) for CA$70 (US$60) + tax. Zipper is YKK, three-part hood, offset seams, etc. What do you think?
349735553_2a17404022.jpg
349735559_7892f4a674.jpg
349735563_87c3fedc59.jpg

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
looks good, what size is that? measurements?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
My hero, I've been looking for a reasonably priced wool hoodie forever. How do these fit?

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
****, looks good! I have a MEC 5 minute walk from my place.. guess I know where I'm going tomorrow morning.

I have one cheap fleece MEC hoodie I use on hikes. The small is a bit baggy on me. I might check the ladies section though since they are a bit more tapered going down.

atroopan

Reaction score
Ha ha - I'm off to MEC too tommorrow - hopefully they still have some left at noon.

troop

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen them before, they fit pretty baggy.

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The ladies one has a two-tone pattern on the pockets that I don't care for, nor do I like the colours. I'll try on the dudes one tomorrow. What size is that one Jared?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Why can't someone just make some basic, well cut hoodies out of wool? Do I have to do everything around here?

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Why can't someone just make some basic, well cut hoodies out of wool? Do I have to do everything around here?
MEC makes good, durable stuff. Their stuff use to be very largely cut, and utilitarian for their intended purpose - outdoor recreation. Style wasn't even taken into consideration. But lately they've been looking at Lululemon and designing more stylish, and at the same time reccy clothing. It's a tough compromise I'd imagine. Still, given that the a large part of their customer base is flax chewin hippies doods, and label loving Lululemon crowd they could afford to make their cuts more fitted. If Jared's size is a medium, he could probably afford to buy a small - even the website says "Generously sized to fit over a base layers". BTW, has Lululemon made it to the US yet? They specialize in yoga clothing for chicks who don't do yoga, but want others to think they do.

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j

Arcteryx Gothic Hoody. Italian wool laminated to a fleece lining according to the description. If I had 3 bills to spend, it'd be mine. In the meantime, going to definitely check out the MEC offerings.

-Jeff

atroopan

Reaction score
Arcteryx makes insanely high quality clothing right here in Canada outta Vancouver BC.

My everyday 3 season jacket is the softshell Arcteryx Gamma SV and I also have the Gore shell Theta AR. Both still look as new as the day I got them.

I don't have the above shown Gothic Hoody as I think it's new this season, but I will testify to the comfort and cozyness of the Covert Hoody I own.

My one issue with this is that it does tend to pile a lot for some reason, and it's not exactly form fitting, since the material is very thick and not quite puffy, but bulky.

I haven't seen the gothic in person, but I will compare to the MEC hoodie when I see it tommorrow (hopefully)

troop

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gamelan
Arcteryx Gothic Hoody. Italian wool laminated to a fleece lining according to the description. If I had 3 bills to spend, it'd be mine. In the meantime, going to definitely check out the MEC offerings.

-Jeff

I've seen those, but they are too sport/tech looking for me and I don't want a logo. What I want is basically the MEC one cut like the AA one and in basic colors. Somewhat thin, just for layering inside a cafe jacket or peacoat etc.

Fabro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bandwagonesque
BTW, has Lululemon made it to the US yet? They specialize in yoga clothing for chicks who don't do yoga, but want others to think they do.

Yeah, they're actually making a big push into the US market right now. A friend of mine works on the store furnishings and they've been going nonstop for over a year.

On the right girl, Lululemon can look really hot.

It's nice that MEC has some motivation to try harder with the cuts. Their stuff has always been so functional but frumpy. You buy it because it works and put up with how it looks. I think the designers are old dirtbag climbers from the 60s.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a 38R, that's a small: they don't make an extra small.
frown.gif
Armpit to armpit: 53 cm (21") Across the waist: 50 cm (19.5") Back from bottom of the hood: 68 cm (27") Given the offset seams, I'm not sure how to make other measurements. The Victoria store had mostly the big sizes in stock - they've been on sale since before Xmas, I think - so be prepared to do an online order. (Although there are half-zip, no hood sweaters in the same cut and colours to give you an idea if it's worth the trouble.) The women's are cut better, but the colours are all unmistakably girly. Oqoqo is Lululemon's "streetwear" brand, last time I checked they didn't have much men's stuff, and I think they may be too ubiquitous on the West Coast, but they're certainly worth keeping an eye on. Patagonia makes some great women's crossover stuff, but their men's stuff is boring. (My gf has been known to wear Patagonia tops clubbing - wicking is beneficial on the dance floor!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads