• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Measuring shirt sleeve length

mano

Reaction score
How does one accurately measure the length of a shirt sleeve? I have several shirts to put on eBay, but they are only marked in cm (41, 42, 39) or inches 15.5, 17.

I measured from the middle of the back to the seam of the sleeve, and then from the seam to the cuff. Is this correct?

bch

Reaction score
I believe you measure the length of the sleeve from the shoulder (not the armpit) seam to the end of the cuff. Add this number to 1/2 the width of the yoke.

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your addition is correct. The measurement is usually taken by placing the tape on the center of the yoke, going out over the shoulder, and down the arm to the end of the cuff. That way, for dense old shirtmakers, no addition is necessary.
smile.gif

mano

Reaction score
Thanks. I was measuring to the shoulder seam from the center of the neck, just below the collar, then from the shoulder seam to the cuff. The measurements seemed a bit long (36 to 37"), so I wasn't sure.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your addition is correct. The measurement is usually taken by placing the tape on the center of the yoke, going out over the shoulder, and down the arm to the end of the cuff. That way, for dense old shirtmakers, no addition is necessary. Â
smile.gif
Alex, when you do this measurement, is it necessary (or useful) to have arm bent so that you account for movement and sleeve-length?

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Horace: No. If not a bespoke shirt, you should buy one about 1/2" longer than your actual measure which will take this into account. Bending the arm tends to make for very inaccurate measurements.
Alex

uriahheep

Reaction score
Why do shirtmakers measure from the middle of the back to the shoulder to the bottom of the arm and call that sleeve length?

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why do shirtmakers measure from the middle of the back to the shoulder to the bottom of the arm and call that sleeve length?
Because it works much better than measuring up from the foot. EDIT:
devil.gif
biggrin.gif
devil.gif
biggrin.gif
devil.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I think he meant: why not just measure from the shoulder seam?

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, poo. Loud Bronx cheer to you caffiene-less dullards.

It is custom. It is adhered to by the RTW shirt industry. Changing it would probably be as successful as was the attempt to switch the United States to the metric system.

uriahheep

Reaction score
Thanks for the answer, AK. Didn't mean to be a dullard.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Horace: No. If not a bespoke shirt, you should buy one about 1/2" longer than your actual measure which will take this into account. Bending the arm tends to make for very inaccurate measurements.
Alex
Thank you Alex. I know you've kindly answered many a question on this board & perhaps you've been asked these ones: but, nevertheless, I am curious:

1) in general in the RTW shirt rag-trade, is the body of a full-cut Brooks or Hathaway shirt scaled to the measurements of the collar and sleeve. That is, is the body of a 15 1/2 -3 shirt smaller than a 16 1/2 -3 shirt? And what about a 15 1/2-3 v. 15 1/2-4, etc, etc.

2) You make some very astute comments on your site about the decline in quality in products in general. That is, people not taking time to do things the right way, or skimping on certain steps in the manufacturing process, etc. This obviously doesn't apply just to shirt-making but to those of us old enough to remember, the cars coming out of detroit, etc. Anyway, in the standard process of making an American RTW shirt, what steps have been discontinued from the days when you started in the rag-trade, to the present time? Cheaper thread? Less quality control (e.g. insuring that seams are straight, etc.)?....

SmartDresser

Reaction score
How does one accurately measure the length of a shirt sleeve? I have several shirts to put on eBay, but they are only marked in cm (41, 42, 39) or inches 15.5, 17.

I measured from the middle of the back to the seam of the sleeve, and then from the seam to the cuff. Is this correct?
Are your shirts from European shirtmakers? From your description, the cm measurments measure just the neck, using an average arm measurement. I use a tape everyday, the translation is
41 cm = 16
42 cm = 16 1/4
39 cm = @15.5

Yes on yoke center seam to the bottom of cuff.
Yippee, the warm weather is back.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(mano @ Mar. 19 2005,16:50) How does one accurately measure the length of a shirt sleeve? I have several shirts to put on eBay, but they are only marked in cm (41, 42, 39) or inches 15.5, 17. I measured from the middle of the back to the seam of the sleeve, and then from the seam to the cuff. Is this correct?
Are your shirts from European shirtmakers? Â From your description, the cm measurments measure just the neck, using an average arm measurement. Â I use a tape everyday, the translation is 41 cm = 16 42 cm = 16 1/4 39 cm = @15.5 Yes on yoke center seam to the bottom of cuff. Yippee, the warm weather is back.
I thought 42 = 16 1/2 -- at least that's how my RTW New & Lingers measure.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads