• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Measuring for a suit...

P3R3

Reaction score
When measuring for a suit size you measure from just below your armpit and around your chest at its thickest point. This is how we determine size right?
Well I get 37", so would 38 be the proper size (disregarding arm lenth).

I am 6' with a 33 waist. Does this seem right?

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You would probably take a 37 (or 38), but jacket measurements will vary from maker to maker, so you'll still want to try the jacket on, or make sure the measurements match yours. In general, there should be 3-4 inches of breathing room in the chest, in addition to your actual measurement. Thus, a size 37 jacket would measure out at 41 inches or so.

P3R3

Reaction score
Well I found this awesome deal on a suit on Amazon, but the only size available was a 40S or 42L. Would this even remotely fit me? I ordered the 40S on impulse since the 42 would be way too big.

For 95% off I couldnt resist.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by P3R3
Well I found this awesome deal on a suit on Amazon, but the only size available was a 40S or 42L. Would this even remotely fit me? I ordered the 40S on impulse since the 42 would be way too big.

For 95% off I couldnt resist.

6'0" is probably a regular.

I'm 6'1" and wear a long.

If your chest is 37", you should fit into a 37 or 38 suit, although there are other variables uch as shoulder size. I have a 41 inch chest, but 49.5 to 50 inch shoulders, so I wear a 42L or 43L

P3R3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NoVaguy
6'0" is probably a regular.

I'm 6'1" and wear a long.

If your chest is 37", you should fit into a 37 or 38 suit, although there are other variables uch as shoulder size. I have a 41 inch chest, but 49.5 to 50 inch shoulders, so I wear a 42L or 43L

Yea, I canceled the short and went for the 42L. That 42 is going to need alot of Tailoring.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Really, Amazon? I'm curious: what brand of suit? I think cancelling the short was a wise move. At 6' I think you'd find a short way too short, not just in the torso but also in the sleeves.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whaddaya know: Amazon sells Corneliani. No great bargain at $1200.00, but I didn't even know they carried suits.

What kind of suit did you find, P3R3?

P3R3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quirk
Whaddaya know: Amazon sells Corneliani. No great bargain at $1200.00, but I didn't even know they carried suits.

What kind of suit did you find, P3R3?

Jos A. Bank suit for 29.99.

It has since been removed from the catalog. Hopefully my order will get shipped!
worship.gif

P3R3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Really, Amazon? I'm curious: what brand of suit? I think cancelling the short was a wise move. At 6' I think you'd find a short way too short, not just in the torso but also in the sleeves.
Jos. A. Banks wool/cashemere

I figure at least with the 42L I will be able to have it tailored, and heck for 30 bucks why the heck not?
bounce2.gif

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by P3R3
Jos. A. Banks wool/cashemere

I figure at least with the 42L I will be able to have it tailored, and heck for 30 bucks why the heck not?
bounce2.gif

you are really a 38 long.

that 30 bucks will be no bargan when you get alteration bill.

P3R3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by a tailor
you are really a 38 long.

that 30 bucks will be no bargan when you get alteration bill.

Well my dad is a 42L, so Christmas present! Cant beat that price with a stick.

Would it really cost more than $100 to alter? I live in SC here, not LA or NYY?

rox

Reaction score
I'm not sure that a 42L could ever be altered to fit a 37/38. My understanding is that you really can't alter the shoulders, which will be too wide for a 37/38. Even if you could, you're looking at $200 in alterations for a good tailor. I wear a 42L and always need extensive alterations, and it normally runs me $200 in Texas.

P3R3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rox
I'm not sure that a 42L could ever be altered to fit a 37/38. My understanding is that you really can't alter the shoulders, which will be too wide for a 37/38. Even if you could, you're looking at $200 in alterations for a good tailor. I wear a 42L and always need extensive alterations, and it normally runs me $200 in Texas.
Nice gift for dad then! Haha.

I have really broad shoulders FYI, in high school I wore a 40R because a 38 was too tight on my arms.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads