• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

meaning of life, nyt article by roger cohen

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I found this interesting

NEW YORK "” What's life for? That question stirred as I contemplated two rhesus monkeys, Canto, aged 27, and Owen, aged 29, whose photographs appeared last week in The New York Times.

Skip to next paragraph
Go to Columnist Page »
Related
Dieting Monkeys Offer Hope for Living Longer (July 10, 2009)

Earl Wilson/The New York Times
Roger Cohen
Readers' Comments
Readers shared their thoughts on this article.
Read All Comments (223) »
The monkeys are part of a protracted experiment in aging being conducted by a University of Wisconsin team. Canto gets a restricted diet with 30 percent fewer calories than usual while Owen gets to eat whatever the heck he pleases.

Preliminary conclusions, published in Science two decades after the experiment began, "demonstrate that caloric restriction slows aging in a primate species," the scientists leading the experiment wrote. While just 13 percent of the dieting group has died in ways judged due to old age, 37 percent of the feasting monkeys are already dead.

These conclusions have been contested by other scientists for various reasons I won't bore you with "” boredom definitely shortens life spans.

Meanwhile, before everyone holds the French fries, the issue arises of how these primates "” whose average life span in the wild is 27 (with a maximum of 40) "” are feeling and whether these feelings impact their desire to live.

Monkeys' emotions were part of my childhood. My father, a doctor, worked with them all his life. His thesis at the University of Witwatersrand in Johannesburg, South Africa, was on the menstrual cycle of baboons. When he settled in Britain in the 1950s, he had some of his baboons (average life span 30) shipped over, ultimately donating a couple to the London Zoo.

Upon visiting the zoo much later, he got a full-throated greeting from the baboons, who rushed to the front of their cage to tell him they'd missed him. Moral of story: Don't underestimate monkeys' feelings.

Which brings me to low-cal Canto and high-cal Owen: Canto looks drawn, weary, ashen and miserable in his thinness, mouth slightly agape, features pinched, eyes blank, his expression screaming, "Please, no, not another plateful of seeds!"

Well-fed Owen, by contrast, is a happy camper with a wry smile, every inch the laid-back simian, plump, eyes twinkling, full mouth relaxed, skin glowing, exuding wisdom as if he's just read Kierkegaard and concluded that "Life must be lived forward, but can only be understood backward."

It's the difference between the guy who got the marbleized rib-eye and the guy who got the oh-so-lean filet. Or between the guy who got a Château Grand Pontet St. Emilion with his brie and the guy who got water. As Edgar notes in King Lear, "Ripeness is all." You don't get to ripeness by eating apple peel for breakfast.

Speaking of St. Emilion, scientists, aware that most human beings don't have the discipline to slash their calorie intake by almost a third, have been looking for substances that might mimic the effects of caloric restriction. They have found one candidate, resveratrol, in red wine.

The thing is there's not enough resveratrol in wine to do the trick, so scientists are trying to concentrate it, or produce a chemical like it in order to offer people the gain (in life expectancy) without the pain (of dieting).

I don't buy this gain-without-pain notion. Duality resides, indissoluble, at life's core "” Faust's two souls within his breast, Anna Karenina's shifting essence. Life without death would be miserable. Its beauty is bound to its fragility. Dawn is unimaginable without the dusk.

When life extension supplants life quality as a goal, you get the desolation of Canto the monkey. Living to 120 holds zero appeal for me. Canto looks like he's itching to be put out of his misery.

There's an alternative to resveratrol. Something is secreted in the love-sick that causes rapid loss of appetite "” caloric restriction "” yet scientists have been unable to reproduce this miracle substance, for if they did they would be decoding love. Because love is too close to the divine, life's essence, it seems to defy such breakdown.

My mother died of cancer at 69. Her father lived to 98, her mother to 104. I said my mother died of cancer. But that's not true. She was bipolar and depression devastated her. What took her life was misery.

We don't understand what the mind secretes. The process of aging remains full of enigma. But I'd bet on jovial Owen outliving wretched Canto. I suspect those dissenting scientists I didn't bore you with are right.

My 98-year-old grandfather had a party trick, making crisscross incisions into a watermelon, before allowing it to fall open in a giant red blossom. It was as beautiful as a lily opening "” and, still vivid, close to what life is for.

When my father went to pick up his baboons at Heathrow airport, he stopped at a grocery store to buy them a treat. "Two pounds of bananas, please," he said. But there were none. "O.K.," he said, "Then I'll take two pounds of carrots." The shopkeeper gave him a very strange look before hurriedly handing over the carrots.

I can hear my 88-year-old father's laughter as he tells this story. Laughter extends life. There's little of it in the low-cal world and little doubt pudgy Owen will have the last laugh.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I like this. It draws a clear line between living long and living well. I'm off to find some cheesecake now.

EnglishGent

Reaction score
It's interesting reading this after having seen comments made by the now deceased Henry Allingham, who until his passing this weekend was thought to be the oldest man in the world. He attributed his long life to "cigarettes, whisky and wild, wild women".

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some shady **** right up there.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
I like this. It draws a clear line between living long and living well. I'm off to find some cheesecake now.
ya exactly. I know beer and soda and pizza and ecstacy and pharmaceuticals that weren't exactly prescribed for me are not especially good for me, and when all is said and done, may shave a year or two off the total...but at the same time, Ill look back on 75 years I enjoyed the hell out of rather than 77 years of leaving early and saying 'no thanks, I don't drink'... Alternately, I could get hit by a bus tomorrow, in which case, I'll be glad my birthday party on Saturday night ******* rocked

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EnglishGent
"cigarettes, whisky and wild, wild women".

That's what I thought of too.

b

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Avoiding the cigarettes and some of the whiskey may help you attain and enjoy the wild, wild women.

I've done my share of drinking and drugs, and they were fun for what they were - but every time I get into party mode, I come out of it realizing I don't particularly enjoy the next day, and sometimes that I've gone some time without doing something I consider productive (reading a book, making art, whatever).

I quit smoking (with a couple of birthday-party related lapses) a month ago and drinking six weeks ago (with two of the aforementioned lapses). I feel better. I look better. Even sex is better.

I wouldn't mind finding a source of quality magic mushrooms again (too lazy to go out and pick for myself), but barring that I'm confining my hedonism to sex and gambling, I think.

Shiny

Reaction score
Looking good, slim and trim affords you one of the other pleasures in life...the good looking ladies. Not the fat skanks.

Also, you know what they say about fat people being jovial and happy...

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
Funny, I was going to say the exact opposite.

+1

It was a potentially interesting read, but the actual content was on par with something you'd find in Reader's Digest.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads