• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Meals before lifting weights

BigSur

Reaction score
There is a thread similar to this, but I did not want to derail it... I lift weights mid to late morning (usually around 11am after my first class). I don't always have time to eat breakfast before school, so I'm usually pretty hungry while I work out, which often hurts my ability to concentrate on my workout. Do you guys have any suggestions as to a good pre-workout snack; preferrably something I can eat on the run? Also should I be avoiding eating too soon before a workout, and is there anything in particular I should be eating or avoiding to maximize results ie... protein, carbs, sugars? Thanks alot.

keal

Reaction score
You can eat before, during, and right after your workout. If you're pressed for time, get a protein powder and carry 1 or 2 scoops of it in a shaker bottle. Add water whenever it's most convenient for you to drink it - before or during your workout. You'll have to experiment. I can eat before but not during my lifting, but others I watch tend to drink their protein during their sessions.

I'd recommend Cytosports Muscle Milk. It's widely available in places like Walmart and your local vitamin shops. Tastes extremely good with water, and mixes well with a spoon in a glass if you don't have a shaker bottle handy. Since you're not eating before your lifting, You could do with a little sugar and essential fats along with your protein - which Muscle Milk provides. If you get another type of protein powder, it's usually just protein and nothing else. You'll probably still be hungry during your workouts.

Don't worry about the fat or calories in Muscle Milk. If you have a good, clean diet for most of your day, you won't gain an ounce of fat from the protein drink.

Good luck with your lifting
smile.gif

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You shouldn't eat less than an hour before lifting weights, and the gap should be longer for harder-to-digest meals (like meat versus liquids).

The meal should contain some protein, a mix of simple and slower-burning complex carbohydrates (with the total probably being the bulk of the calories), some protein, and some fat (preferably monounsaturated). On the run, that is most easily accomplished in shake form (except for the complex carbs). Exercise bars often aren't good for you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads