1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

McMansion or not?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Kent Wang, Mar 12, 2006.

1. StephenHero

StephenHero Senior member

Nature and I have the same message. [​IMG] You won't need me. Existential reinforcement awaits you.

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Nature and I have the same message. [​IMG] You won't need me. Existential reinforcement awaits you.

I live in a place where nature surrounds me and we're still just sharing the land with the critters. We already went for a nice little hike today. [​IMG]

3. StephenHero

Pio, this is where you must go. Le Thoronet Abbey in Brignoles, France. LeCorbusier called it the genesis of modern architecture. It is the subject of this photoessay book. The guide to man's existence is revealed within. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Dragon

Dragon Senior member

This is what a luxurious interior looks like in the true sense of the word, which refers to exceptional-ism as opposed to connotations of opulence or extravagance. If you're really rich, you use the finest marble flooring, an acute attention to light, and a bathtub carved from a single block of travertine. There's no need to attempt using gaudy chandeliers and cherub motifs to convey your richness because the exceptional nature of the material is so apparent.

[​IMG]

All that you have described is based on minimalist principles though, and that is not the only type of design that can be luxurious.

If you use fake/cheap materials in a minimalist design or some more classic design, both will end up being Mcmansions. If you use the best materials and attention to detail, you can end up with luxurious minimalist or classic design based on your preference.

5. Agnacious

Agnacious Senior member

[​IMG]

Maybe my age is showing but my first thought is that looks like a great place to break your neck or hip.

Plus, it just looks depressing.

6. StephenHero

It's entirely lit by daylight. There is no need for artificial light, hence their non-existence. I can't imagine something less depressing.

7. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

It's entirely lit by daylight. There is no need for artificial light, hence their non-existence. I can't imagine something less depressing.

[​IMG]

So, is it 24/7 daylight there or you just don't use the place after dark?

8. StephenHero

There has to be a lightbulb in there somewhere. How could humans live without artificial light?

9. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

There has to be a lightbulb in there somewhere. How could humans live without artificial light?

These two statements are mutually exclusive. No, I'm not just playing semantics, I busted you over-pontificating which has sort of been my point.

10. StephenHero

I was being sarcastic, moron. It's as if you forgot that your grandparents were unlikely to have been raised in a house with electric lighting.

11. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I was being sarcastic, moron. It's as if you forgot that your grandparents were unlikely to have been raised in a house with electric lighting.

Actually, a couple of them were. [​IMG]

Sorry it's getting hard to tell your sarcasm from your pontificating, but as I have previously agreed, I am indeed moronic. And what the state of lighting in my grandparent's time has to do with this discussion is beyond me. I mean, "real honest representations" would be torches or candles...or maybe at least lanterns? Electric light is just a phony copy of fire.

12. StephenHero

You're not a moron. You're being a moron, for what purpose I have no idea. Go find nature.

13. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Just poking fun at you. You do the same to people that pontificate about other things. There is something to be said for what you're propounding but it is not the end all and be all. I mean, some localities will not allow a wood burning fire place, and in this thread you've disparaged gas fire places. So, you get no fire place? Me, I'd go with a nice modern interpretation, some of which I really enjoy. Yes, fake logs = gag but some modern gas fire places look quite nice to me.

Yes, I know, this makes me a cretin.

14. StephenHero

At least those ordinances serve the purpose of letting me know where to stay away from.

15. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

16. StephenHero

The enlightened ones are!

17. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

At least those ordinances serve the purpose of letting me know where to stay away from.
    That doesn't really answer the point. There are some places near me with them and these places have sweeping views, very low housing density, the natural beauty which would mesh well with some of the homes you've pictured. Not sure I'd dismiss such places merely for the ordinance. Also, I do maintain that under what you have been propounding here, electric light is an imitation.

18. StephenHero

19. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I'm with you, stevie.

You need to make The Fountainhead the Ayn Rand book you read then.

20. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

The guide to man's existence is revealed within. [​IMG]

We didn't need that book to tell us Catholicism is the guide to man's existence.