• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

McKinley Briefcase or Filson Briefcase (Leather Field Satchel)?

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking at this Filson briefcase
as an alternative to this Belstaff bag

The Filson is US made and the Belstaff is Italian made.

Can anyone vouch for the quality of either? And how about suitability for standard business wear?

I would need either bag compatible with all forms of dress

Thanks

Edit: now looking at a comparison between the Filson and this bag made by McKinley.

Last edited:

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have had my Filson Field Satchel for four years, I love it, the quality is excellent. I have had people comment on it (lustfully) at various sites i have worked at and find it suitable for any business environment.

Last edited:

Lawfor

Reaction score

Looking at this Filson briefcase as an alternative to this Belstaff bag
The Filson is US made and the Belstaff is Italian made.
Can anyone vouch for the quality of either? And how about suitability for standard business wear?
I would need either bag compatible with all forms of dress
Thanks

Two completely different types of bags. Very hard to compare. One is a causal soft messenger and one a classic styled old school flap over in very stiff bridle hide. Filson bag quality is very good except for the lock.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have had my Filson Field Satchel for four years, I love it, the quality is excellent. I have had people comment on it (lustfully) at various sites i have worked at and find it suitable for any business environment.

Do you find it good for dual use as a briefcase and a satchel (due to the shoulder strap)?

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Two completely different types of bags. Very hard to compare. One is a causal soft messenger and one a classic styled old school flap over in very stiff bridle hide. Filson bag quality is very good except for the lock.

I don't know much about bridle hide but from the description it sounds like a durable product

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The Filson is a beast. If you are looking for a bullet proof bag, that is the one for you. That said, I'm not sure that there is any bag that is going to look good with any onefit.

bag reminds me of the new yuketan bag. speaking of which, any ideas where i can find more info online? hoping to do some research before meeting with the yuketan folks at SF10x

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

bag reminds me of the new yuketan bag. speaking of which, any ideas where i can find more info online? hoping to do some research before meeting with the yuketan folks at SF10x

They have a website, www.yuketen.com, but it is sparse on information. The Filson is the most durable bag I've seen, really, if that is what you are looking for, but the Yuketen's have infinitely more character, and they are definitely tough, though very little is tough compared to a briefcase made completely of Bridle leather (I think that the KMW bag, no longer available, was probably tougher.)

During our photoshoot, everyone, from people who love fashion and accessories to random people in the office, to all the women, liked the Yuketen or Mismo bags much more than the Filson, which, compared to the others, is a "nice" bag, but lacks that special something, aesthietically. I mean, it's a classic, and I would not dissuade anyone from getting one, but if you want beautiful leather and just a great feel, Yuketen is the way to go. If you want an extremely clean, sharp, look, Mismo might be for you.

Peter1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Filson looks more "businesslike," IMO. The Yukenten bag -- if it's the one you're talking about -- is a little more casual. That Filson is a beaut. I'd go with that. Plus, it has a lock, which you may not use regularly but is nice to have.

I used to have a similarly styled bag that I got in Europe (no brand -- you used to be able to find them all over the place for about $150) and loved the dimensions. Unfortunately it was stolen out of my car.

mystix

Reaction score
I don't own either but that Belstaff one looks atrocious to me and at $900 that is ridiculous.
I am slightly biased towards the Filson as I own a 257 but that looks far superiour to the belstaff.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've ruled out the Belstaff and am now leaning more toward bridle leather briefcase with a shoulder strap. That being, said what do you guys think of this one made by McKinley Leathers?

These are 100% English bridle leather, made in Ohio

Cost is $335

100_0413.jpg

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've ruled out the Belstaff and am now leaning more toward bridle leather briefcase with a shoulder strap. That being, said what do you guys think of this one made by McKinley Leathers?
Cost is $335
100_0413.jpg

I found out today that McKinley sources their English bridle leather from the same supplier as Narragansett Leathers: http://www.wickett-craig.com/

So I'm pretty pumped about getting this case now and seeing how it stacks up

iroh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Cost is $335
100_0413.jpg

the price is good and the burgundy color (as shown on their website) is amazing. i find this style more suited for a messenger field bag rather than a work briefcase though, and at 16 inches wide it is a tiny bit larger than what i would like for a field bag. but if you are a bigger guy then the size shouldn't be an issue.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads