Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

McDonalds and their "challenge to Starbucks"

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by style from the heartland, Jun 18, 2008.

1. style from the heartland

style from the heartland Senior member

Anyone tried any of the true espresso drinks from McD's? I don't mean the "iced coffees," which premiered last summer and were awful. I had my first this a.m., and had rather mixed feelings about it. Already most of us are quite over Starbucks, though I admit I still visit the place on occasion.

Anyone like the McD product ? Think SBUX has reason for (further) stock price/market share concern ?

2. Brennan Huff

Brennan Huff Senior member

Well, sbux recently started making billboards and such which shows they're concerned about the McD's coffee appealing to people who would rather save a few bucks.

3. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

i love mcd's iced coffees . nothing awful about them. rather drink that then starbucks four dollar version.

4. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

I truly enjoy seeing McD's knocking the liberal, tree-hugging wind out of the Starbuck sail.

5. RustyRyan

RustyRyan Senior member

I think Mcd's iced coffee is really quite good and at half the price of Starbucks product. To be honest I think anyone who doesn't get that is trying a bit too hard to be a coffee snob. I'm really glad I never bought any Fourbucks stock, as from what I understand McD is about to take them behind the shed and kick the shit out of them and their tip cups...

6. Antonio Centeno

Antonio Centeno Senior member

If anyone has been to a McDonalds in places like HK or Europe, they will see that McDs ahas been testing this for a while. Ray Croc was always quick to point out that McDonalds wasn't in the hamburger business....they were into prime real estate locations.

McDs is going to mop up the floor with Starbucks.

7. Southern-Nupe

Southern-Nupe Senior member

i love mcd's iced coffees . nothing awful about them. rather drink that then starbucks four dollar version.
    Dang you beat me to it Shoe, I love their Iced Coffee's especially when compared to Starbucks. IMO, their not only easier on the wallet, but they taste considerably better.

....also don't sleep on their hot coffee either, I often times find it better than the pretentious crap sold at your local Starbucks.

8. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I often times find it better than the pretentious crap sold at your local Starbucks.

As a true capitalist, I am not here to bash Starbucks. I say good luck to them. But, I do think that $4 coffee drinks may become an odd symbol of early 00's excess. I see more and more people making an effort to try something else that is less costly to show that they are careful with their money.

On another tangent, I met a guy who has never had a Starbucks coffee from Boston. I actually met a guy who had never eaten at McDonalds and he lived in San Francisco all of his life. There is something about that that is so interesting to me.

9. Southern-Nupe

Southern-Nupe Senior member

As a true capitalist, I am not here to bash Starbucks. I say good luck to them. But, I do think that $4 coffee drinks may become an odd symbol of early 00's excess. I see more and more people making an effort to try something else that is less costly to show that they are careful with their money.

On another tangent, I met a guy who has never had a Starbucks coffee from Boston. I actually met a guy who had never eaten at McDonalds and he lived in San Francisco all of his life. There is something about that that is so interesting to me.

How old was the guy who's never eaten at McDonalds?

That's nearly unheard of, the strangest thing about McDonalds lies in the fact that the majority of their food sucks, but we continue to eat there.

10. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

If anyone has been to a McDonalds in places like HK or Europe, they will see that McDs ahas been testing this for a while.

Yeah they have had the McCafes here since at least 2003.

11. Augusto86

Augusto86 Sean Penn's Mexican love child

How old was the guy who's never eaten at McDonalds?

That's nearly unheard of, the strangest thing about McDonalds lies in the fact that the majority of their food sucks, but we continue to eat there.

I categorically refuse to eat at McD's. I had some fries from my friend's drive-thru, once, because I was starving.

In fact, I've never eaten at: McD's, BK, Wendy's, Denny's, White Castle, Taco Bell, or pretty much any other fast food chain. My parents never took me there as a kid, ever, and now the smell of it just makes me queasy.

The idea that McD's could replace Starbucks is ludicrous. Are people going to have business meetings in one? Spend three hours writing an essay? Buy coffee beans?

They might chip away at the frilly extra crap - the kids who come in and get frappucinos and shit. I say good. Maybe it will get Starbucks back to its original demographic, which is people who like city roast coffee and espresso.

12. Girardian

Girardian Senior member

Rule: "if not A, then B; if not B then A."

A. Roast your own (I do)

B. Peet's (or any *good* local roaster with high quality, fresh beans and a strong cup)

- FIN -

13. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

I don't get how people can even spend $4 on a drink at Starbucks. I'm addicted to caffeine, and when I go into a coffee place, I either get a cup of coffee or a double espresso. Those flavored latte drinks make me gag. Literally. I bought a vanilla latte one time and threw it away after one sip. It tasted like a milkshake that had been melted and heated in a microwave, only sweeter. I swear those drinks have more sugar in them than a typical soft drink. Considering the fact that most yuppies have banned softdrinks from their lives, I'm surprised the backlash against these sweet coffee drinks hasn't begun in earnest.

Anyways, Starbucks is fine for a cup of strong coffee. I prefer Peet's, but I'm glad that they're readily available in most places. The caffeine content of their brew is reliably high. What else can you really ask for? If McDonalds has comparably strong coffee available now, too, I say good. If I'm road tripping through the middle of bumfuck nowhere, I'll know where to get a cup of coffee.

14. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Starbucks might be more tolerable if you bring your own flask of whiskey.

15. KBW

KBW Senior member

I've never eaten at McDonalds or had a starbucks coffee. I don't eat and never have eaten any sort of fast food other than select few burritto places. They have hamburger places in town that cook in front of you and use fresh beef that tastes 1000000 times better than Mcdonalds and if I want a chicken sandwich I order it from somewhere that makes a real chicken sandwich. I guess my parents not ever eating it when I was younger made me just not ever eat it either. The funny thing is that one of my best friend's dad owns all of the McDonalds in my town (pretty sure there's 5).

I don't like coffee but may go to starbucks for green tea one of these days as they just built a new one directly on my way to campus.