• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MC General Chat

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^
"
"At the University of Nevada-Las Vegas, where Clemente is a professor, she sees at job fairs “baggy-ass black suits on skinny 19-year olds” who can’t afford anything else. “The suits are cheap; they look cheap. It’s one of these things in society, I wish we could just let it go,” she says."

I, too, would like to let go of this - by having some sort of education on "how to not look like you're wearing a garbage bag" and "buy clothing that fits."

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^
"
"At the University of Nevada-Las Vegas, where Clemente is a professor, she sees at job fairs “baggy-ass black suits on skinny 19-year olds” who can’t afford anything else. “The suits are cheap; they look cheap. It’s one of these things in society, I wish we could just let it go,” she says."

I, too, would like to let go of this - by having some sort of education on "how to not look like you're wearing a garbage bag" and "buy clothing that fits."
Generational breakdown? Guys were traditionally supposed to be taught how to dress by their Fathers/Grandfathers, right?

WillingToLearn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People pronouncing the death of the suit is a pretty reliable leading indicator for a recession. Inverted yield curve-esque, in my experience.

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Generational breakdown? Guys were traditionally supposed to be taught how to dress by their Fathers/Grandfathers, right?
I was, but I was raised in a religious household where suits were de rigueur. Others were surrounded by such spoken/unspoken guidelines at home, boarding school, church, etc, but it hasn't been that way for quite a while.

On the one hand, I appreciate the liberation of the suit from being a formality to being worn with tees, sneakers, and in various silhouettes. OTOH you have abominations like tan brogues with navy suits, so there's that.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^
"Others suggest a correction is coming and suits will return in force. For one thing, there are signs of a recession. Recessions lead to unpredictability, and people seek comfort in old traditions, even expensive, uncomfortable traditions."

Not sure about that but it's comforting. I guess living here in DC skews my opinions as we all wear suits as a matter of course. The perfect equalizer if done right of course.

People who think suits are uncomfortable need to buy better suits.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Obviously there is never a single, right answer. I'm fine with the evolution just kind of hoping suits are always in style at some level. I prefer the formality they bring to the workplace, my mindset, etc. All the usual arguments in favor.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
People who think suits are uncomfortable need to buy better suits.
Totally! I remember my first Macy's or Jos. A Bank suits compared to what I'm able to wear now. Night and day.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I normally like Vox's The Good section, but that article on suits seems really superficial. Saying suit sales have declined is like the oldest news ever. You can just look outside for that. Or most people's own closets.

The suit remains not as a uniform for the powerless, but as a formal uniform for certain occasions. It's formality and tradition are what allow it to remain relevant for certain things (traditional dress in almost every culture remains through events such as weddings and funerals). But it's also because of that formality why it'll never come back in a big way. People don't want to look formal, which is why the frock coat went out of favor. Or the doublet. Or the ruff.

As always, I wish that, any time someone talks about the decline of the suit, they went back a little further than 1945, or better yet, before 1900. The decline of the suit is part of a much bigger 400-year history that has a lot more to do with political and social culture.

IJReilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m hoping we’ll see the suit come back, but in a more casual way. Camoshita seems to be exploring that idea currently but isn’t quite here in my mind.

As for myself, I wear suits in standard situations: meetings, formal occasions etc. But I also like to wear them in a really casual way with knitwear, and I feel it works great. I seem to be moving away from the jacket and trousers thing ) which was my standard look), and either wear a suit or knitwear with a pair of tailored trousers. The closest I get to an odd jacket is some cardigany things from Camoshita and Batoner.

Last edited:

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Totally! I remember my first Macy's or Jos. A Bank suits compared to what I'm able to wear now. Night and day.

I mean, nowadays you can get affordable suits in decent fabric from places like Suitsupply and Spier & Mackay. But most people still think a $400 suit is "expensive."

Still, the quality of even cheap department store brands now is much, much better than it was in the 80s and 90s. The fabric on old low end department store brand suits you find in thrift stores is like sandpaper.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I will say that I don't really care what other people wear. I know that I will always wear them and that's all that really matters to me. I do think it limits me to what I would accept for employment though. I'd probably never be hired to work at a startup tech firm or something, because I want to wear a suit to work and that would probably cause drama to their precious culture.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Formal, around here, is now the 3/5ths. Black oxfords, suit pants, work shirt unbuttoned with no tie and the inevitable tech vest.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alright - which one of you guys is this? :)

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wore an über casual suit I got secondhand from @NickPollica for my 20 year anniversary party and everyone, from millennials to fogeys, said I looked “elegant” even though I wore a tee and CPs. One of my favorite people, an old Italian dame who dyes her hair burnt orange, went on and on about how guys used to wear suits with t-shirts all the time and it was “the thing you did.” Whatever that means.

The wonderful thing about the suit is its brainless ease, and it can be skewed casual or formal depending on myriad factors. I’m all for pattern mixing, but when it comes to looking decent enough for being in public, a lot of time is wasted on overthinking.
7A6FF533-7ED1-47DF-8751-7CFF92BC5FE4.jpeg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads