• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MC General Chat

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@dieworkwear Would Tailors Keep be open about me bringing in RTW pants and get them altered? Who have you worked with there?

The pants I am referring to are a pair of Eidos Sal trousers. First time getting these type of pants altered, I think part of the problem is that the pants never sat at my natural waist or where I would wear it. As a result, the expected and actual results varied substantially I believe. I should have just wore the braces I brought with me initially but the pants during that particular day stayed up just fine and wear I'd ideally wear these high rise trousers.

Typically pants are pressed seam to seam meaning the inseam and outseam are lined up and the pants are pressed. Shortening the bottom won't change this, however what could change is is how they pinned the cuffs (if you got cuffs). Sometimes if the stitches that secure the cuff on the outseam is a little more taught or higher up than the inseam stitches that secure the cuff it can cause the pant leg to twist slightly outward. Dropping the outseam cuff stitch relative to the inseam would help relieve this.

My next question is are these RTW pants? If so have you worn this brand/fit before and had the issue? Most often I would say a crease veering off to one side means you have a high hip on that side and would need more cloth over the outseam than the inseam. A bespoke tailor would fix the issue by opening up the panel, lengthening the cloth over the hip in the front panel and raising the front panel inseam. This would solve the problem.

@Despos might be a better source, however.

Yes I am aware of this problem and can see why that is happening. However, the leg that has this issue has the longer inseam and it still is veering off to the side.

You can kind of tell from this photo (see left leg):

leg.png

I think I need to:
1. Have the crease corrected​
2. Recheck at the alteration tailor whether both legs are balanced in length​
3. Shorten inseam as needed (wear braces when trying on)​

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@dieworkwear Would Tailors Keep be open about me bringing in RTW pants and get them altered? Who have you worked with there?

The pants I am referring to are a pair of Eidos Sal trousers. First time getting these type of pants altered, I think part of the problem is that the pants never sat at my natural waist or where I would wear it. As a result, the expected and actual results varied substantially I believe. I should have just wore the braces I brought with me initially but the pants during that particular day stayed up just fine and wear I'd ideally wear these high rise trousers.

Yes I am aware of this problem and can see why that is happening. However, the leg that has this issue has the longer inseam and it still is veering off to the side.

You can kind of tell from this photo (see left leg):

View attachment 1190315

I think I need to:
1. Have the crease corrected​
2. Recheck at the alteration tailor whether both legs are balanced in length​
3. Shorten inseam as needed (wear braces when trying on)​

Yea, a large part of their business is in just alterations. I've brought outside pants there for adjustments (that was actually how I got acquainted with them).

BTW, who makes that coat? It looks nice.

WillingToLearn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am guessing you have not worn the trousers a tone, but how has the fabric held up as trousers? I had a jacket length made up (absolutely love it), and thought about trousers to wear as separates, but wimped out.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
UC, did you take a trunk over with you, or are you just really good at packing? Looking at the photos, it looks as though you've got about 50 (OK, slight exaggeration) outfits with you!

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am guessing you have not worn the trousers a tone, but how has the fabric held up as trousers? I had a jacket length made up (absolutely love it), and thought about trousers to wear as separates, but wimped out.
The fabric is pretty amazing. Salvo cut them high and wide, so they don’t pull too much and drape really well. Crease stays sharp all day, but I wasn’t really sitting much.
UC, did you take a trunk over with you, or are you just really good at packing? Looking at the photos, it looks as though you've got about 50 (OK, slight exaggeration) outfits with you!
I checked in a bag and brought a carryon and personal bag. I actually came home with three other jackets that Salvo had to tweak. I did bring more shirts than I needed, but they fold flat and don’t take much room.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@dieworkwear Do you have an article about shirts you need if trying to keep a minimal wardrobe? For me the blue OCBD is essential. A light blue and white spread collar will come in handy. Not sure about the white OCBD, at least in a work or formal setting. I have one for casual dress from Portuguese Flannel. What about stripes?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@dieworkwear Do you have an article about shirts you need if trying to keep a minimal wardrobe? For me the blue OCBD is essential. A light blue and white spread collar will come in handy. Not sure about the white OCBD, at least in a work or formal setting. I have one for casual dress from Portuguese Flannel. What about stripes?

I wrote this a while ago:

Mostly though, I just wear light blue OCBDs, solid light blue chambrays (Simonnot Godard), and white-blue striped shirts of varying stripe widths. I find stripes can be useful if you don't wear ties often, especially if you have plain colored suits and sport coats. Having a bit of pattern helps take up the space between a jacket's fronts.

emptym

Reaction score
If I could only have two shirts, they'd be blue and white in linen or end-on-end, probably spread collar. I like white OCBD's more than blue for some reason, unless I'm wearing a sport coat. I really like blue Oxford cloth spread collar shirts for wear w/ sport coat and tie though. And while I like stripes, particularly university ocbds, I like checks more (esp. tattersall and graph), like these from Goldwin's instagram:

A blue/black tattersall would be my third shirt. Red and blue or red and black might be fourth.

emptym

Reaction score
Those are tattersall, in which case, two is preferred. But yes, three if graph. The simpler color scheme calls for a more layered look imo.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads