• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MC General Chat

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In streetwear everyday carry items like pocket knifes, Key chains and space pens are often discussed and there are several lists with EDC essentials.

I have not been able to find similar discussions for what most guys bring with them when in a suit and tie.

Are there any good threads or other reads?
If not feel free to chime in below.

Personally I never wear tailored clothing to work, thus it is reserved more for pleasure and I try to travel light with mypphone and a leather card holder from gustin that also holds my house key.

Good question, not sure I’ve seen any specific threads or other reading regarding EDC with tailoring.

I wear tailoring to work most days (either sport coat and trousers, or a suit)

My EDC includes:

Carried in jacket pockets: iPhone, dark green leather card case (la portegna from NMWA), zebra collapsible pen, glasses, car/house keys.

Carried in a filson bag: moleskine notebook (with saddleback leather cover), extra glasses, extra zebra pen (F-301), contigo travel cup, iPhone charger, hand sanitizer, sunglasses (if not worn)

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
54C56DD2-554D-4FC5-AB44-93DC50618F99.jpeg
I hate bulk through and through. Loose cash in right pant pocket, lose cards in left. Phone in right jacket pocket, two keys in left. On work days I do hide my pen behind my tie on the placket of my shirt.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
My assistant would go hog-wild on this topic.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My EDC:

Wallet
Phone
Fountain pen
Small notebook
Keys
Zippo
Folding knife
Flashlight
Multitool
Tactical pen
Tactical eraser
Paracord
Emergency vitamins
Backup emergency vitamins
Teddy bear
Photo of my cat
Breathmints

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have bit of a dilemma. I have some perfectly good pair of pants aside from this minor issue, which all things considered should be a non-issue. Few months ago I shipped a pair of pants to a cleaner for a stubborn stain, small but still bothered me. They did a great job getting it out, successful over the local cleaner here. I am guessing during the cleaning process the crease disappeared and when it came time to set the crease again they forgot where the original line was. I was always told that the inseam should match up when you hang up a pair of pants but now because the crease is offset the legs are not aligned anymore.

Last week I took it to another local cleaner and they told me this is not something that can be fixed without having to creases. The lady actually pointed out where the original crease was to my disbelief, very subtle but if she had not pointed it out I would have never noticed. Since I was there already I had them press the pants again as it is.

Now, can I ever fix this issue with the crease being off causing the inseams to not lineup? I am leaning towards throwing out the pants, which again are perfectly wearable. The imperfection just bothers me too much.
Go back to the first tailor and have them use whatever process it was they did that (nearly) removed the first crease on the second crease, then press to reset the first crease.

In other words, if they undid the first crease then they should be able to undo the second. And then put the crease where it properly belongs.

norMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My EDC:

Wallet
Phone
Fountain pen
Small notebook
Keys
Zippo
Folding knife
Flashlight
Multitool
Tactical pen
Tactical eraser
Paracord
Emergency vitamins
Backup emergency vitamins
Teddy bear
Photo of my cat
Breathmints

I find button cuffs give a good place to hide the paracord.

@gettoasty what fabric are the pants?

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What matters the most imo is if the crease falls down the center of your legs when you stand. If it does, I'd leave it as is.

Go back to the first tailor and have them use whatever process it was they did that (nearly) removed the first crease on the second crease, then press to reset the first crease.

In other words, if they undid the first crease then they should be able to undo the second. And then put the crease where it properly belongs.

I had a new pair of pants (actually several) with alterations done recently. One pair after getting the inseam shortened the left leg crease is not centered. Crease causes the pant legs to fall to the side. Really odd as I do not believe the alteration tailor pressed the pants or pressed a new line. Since, there is no visible crease from before unless they did a very good job of it. There would usually be a 'double crease' is my understanding. The pants are cotton/linen twill fabric if that matters.

Will take a photo and repost here. Not sure where to take them now as I this detail really bugs me. I took this pair to a tailor I regular but feel like their attention to detail has been decreasing after the last batch of clothes I dropped off. FWIW I worked with the son who is not as skilled as his father, I should have knew that going in but was hasty in getting some clothes altered. In hindsight maybe I should have walked out when learned the father was out of town and just gone back later. Sort of butchered some good clothes of mine, and the father was able to somewhat salvage the work.

I will go to another alteration tailor and cross my fingers this can be remedied. I can look pass some minor details without being so critical, maybe it is just me (link to dieworkwear's recent post comes to mind), but the crease not being centered though bugs the hell out of me.

Otherwise, I feel like I have to make the drive to Berkeley or SF for a decent alteration tailor as I feel like I've exhausted all my options around the East and South Bay.

Also, sort of glad I only picked up one pair of suspenders as the pair received has not seen much use. Sort of more work getting them on than wearing a belt.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Typically pants are pressed seam to seam meaning the inseam and outseam are lined up and the pants are pressed. Shortening the bottom won't change this, however what could change is is how they pinned the cuffs (if you got cuffs). Sometimes if the stitches that secure the cuff on the outseam is a little more taught or higher up than the inseam stitches that secure the cuff it can cause the pant leg to twist slightly outward. Dropping the outseam cuff stitch relative to the inseam would help relieve this.

My next question is are these RTW pants? If so have you worn this brand/fit before and had the issue? Most often I would say a crease veering off to one side means you have a high hip on that side and would need more cloth over the outseam than the inseam. A bespoke tailor would fix the issue by opening up the panel, lengthening the cloth over the hip in the front panel and raising the front panel inseam. This would solve the problem.

@Despos might be a better source, however.

emptym

Reaction score
I had a new pair of pants (actually several) with alterations done recently. One pair after getting the inseam shortened the left leg crease is not centered. Crease causes the pant legs to fall to the side. Really odd as I do not believe the alteration tailor pressed the pants or pressed a new line. Since, there is no visible crease from before unless they did a very good job of it. There would usually be a 'double crease' is my understanding. The pants are cotton/linen twill fabric if that matters.

Will take a photo and repost here. Not sure where to take them now as I this detail really bugs me. I took this pair to a tailor I regular but feel like their attention to detail has been decreasing after the last batch of clothes I dropped off. FWIW I worked with the son who is not as skilled as his father, I should have knew that going in but was hasty in getting some clothes altered. In hindsight maybe I should have walked out when learned the father was out of town and just gone back later. Sort of butchered some good clothes of mine, and the father was able to somewhat salvage the work.

I will go to another alteration tailor and cross my fingers this can be remedied. I can look pass some minor details without being so critical, maybe it is just me (link to dieworkwear's recent post comes to mind), but the crease not being centered though bugs the hell out of me.

Otherwise, I feel like I have to make the drive to Berkeley or SF for a decent alteration tailor as I feel like I've exhausted all my options around the East and South Bay.

Also, sort of glad I only picked up one pair of suspenders as the pair received has not seen much use. Sort of more work getting them on than wearing a belt.
Strange. I'd try pressing them. It's easy on cotton/linen to totally remove a crease, so I wouldn't assume that they didn't create a new crease.

I've had good results from Andrea's Fine Tailoring in Milbrae and Taraval Tailor in SF. Taraval in particular is great for tapering and cuffing. He can do a slightly slanted cuff, is quick, and inexpensive for the city.

Typically pants are pressed seam to seam meaning the inseam and outseam are lined up and the pants are pressed. Shortening the bottom won't change this, however what could change is is how they pinned the cuffs (if you got cuffs). Sometimes if the stitches that secure the cuff on the outseam is a little more taught or higher up than the inseam stitches that secure the cuff it can cause the pant leg to twist slightly outward. Dropping the outseam cuff stitch relative to the inseam would help relieve this.

My next question is are these RTW pants? If so have you worn this brand/fit before and had the issue? Most often I would say a crease veering off to one side means you have a high hip on that side and would need more cloth over the outseam than the inseam. A bespoke tailor would fix the issue by opening up the panel, lengthening the cloth over the hip in the front panel and raising the front panel inseam. This would solve the problem.

@Despos might be a better source, however.
The only pants that test for me (other than some jeans) are Lands End. I have two pairs from them and just one twists. Interesting idea for a remedy, though. Makes sense.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Tailors Keep in San Francisco does really good work. I'm not a tailor, but it could be that the alterations weren't done correctly for your posture.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That doesn't leave many options.

Edit: and that's bullshit.

Last edited:

Bromley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Friends, I've arrived. And no, it's not because I typically engage with #cannabiscontent.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads