• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MC General Chat

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
We ought to have a system that allows us to vote users up or down.

I'd like the board to have both thumbs up and thumbs down, but I wouldn't want to see it have any effect beyond simply displaying that voting data to users (in the same way you can see the thumbs up now). Posters can then see who has up- or down-voted the post, and make a judgement for themselves on the meaning/value of the votes.

The one exception would be that if the ratio is something like 30:1 negative (ie big enough to overwhelm the ability of any one subgroup to fully influence the vote), then hide the post unless you click to display it.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I like the Facebook comments; it could almost be a selection of SF replies.

I think Brooks will struggle to simultaneously attract old codgers and young hipsters. RL manages it through a careful mix of different lines and different price points between the lines (as well as different retail locations/formats). I'm not convinced Brooks can adopt that model successfully but I suppose we shall see...

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's god awful. Looks like someone passed out at a Frat party and grabbed whatever he could find when he woke up the next morning before heading out to brunch at a "jackets for gentlemen" establishment.

Dude's living the dream?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm somewhat afraid that MC is too topic-specific driven for this to work, but then I realized that once Stitchy finds this thread, it'll be bumped a few times a day.

HIYO! excellent thread. ill do my best/worst, to keep it up and running.

Isn't one of Fok's relatives a mathematician? I assume he or she would know which forum I'm talking about. I have a few friends who are graduate students in the math dept. I can ask them if Fok doesn't know.

iirc, that would be his wife.

The forum had gotten boring because so many of the posts just wanted "the answer" or affirmation. To me, vigorous debate is much more interesting, and anyone who can articulate a reasonable opinion should feel free to join in. Lord knows I've been arguing with Manton for years now. He's even been right a time or two.

while i agree with you that vigorous debate beats endless one post answer topics, and parades of "ZOMG you are teh best sprezzer evar!!!!" i do understand how some people can feel scared the way certain people state their opinions a fact. you have the knowledge and backbone to argue your point with conviction, and confidence, and the knowledge to back it up, others do not.

now, there is no question i feel the forum is way better off with the type of threads we have now, and the resurgence of a good deal of quality posters, even if there is a measure of preachiness, but i understand why people who are maybe less initiated to SF would be a little afraid, or confused.

... it's frustrating when people come to the forum with questions like "I want teh best suit, where to buy?" ....

i started a thread like that long ago. :embar:

i hate wingtips and full brogues

WAHT!???!??!

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads