• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MC General Chat

Club Soda

Reaction score
I’m going to Los Angeles and I’d like to browse some nice rack suits. What stores should be on my list?

Ralph Lauren
Brioni
Zenga
Isaia
Tom Ford

That’s a brief walking tour off Rodeo; I’d also like to see if there are any independent stores worth visiting. I’ll have a rental car to drive around.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eh, this is a topic that will never go anywhere because people will always make it about politics rather than aesthetics.
The problem is that requesting the presence of a type of clothing has very little to do with aesthetics. You have just as many terrible looking fits including a jacket as you have aesthetically pleasing fits including sandals or a cap. Mandating a level of formality does not really equate to mandating a level of aesthetics. Maybe black tie dress code is an exception as there is an aesthetic statement that is made when everyone wears black and white, even if the tuxes are awful

I understand dress codes but when they get bullet-point list prescriptive, they feel a bit dumb. A simple sentence on the level of formality you expect of people is a better approach.

Mirage-

Reaction score
The problem is that requesting the presence of a type of clothing has very little to do with aesthetics. You have just as many terrible looking fits including a jacket as you have aesthetically pleasing fits including sandals or a cap. Mandating a level of formality does not really equate to mandating a level of aesthetics.
I understand dress codes but when they get bullet-point list prescriptive, they feel a bit dumb. A simple sentence on the level of formality you expect of people is a better approach.
I think those two are very different statements though. I can certainly agree with the second one, the more specific they become the more they start to feel silly, as well as more restricting. It probably feels much better to say just "business casual" and allow in anyone that isn't really obviously and blatantly breaking the dress code's spirit, which is honestly fine by me. But I suppose the reason that many places with dress codes (many of the few that there still are, that is) often don't just do this is because then you get people clueless about dress codes that get surprised at being rejected entrance, which must feel very bad. Ofc, they should have probably done the bare minimum research, but from a commercial standpoint it might not be the best outcome.
Which is probably why then the dress codes often devolve into the much simpler yet much uglier bullet list of don'ts, which at least bears no surprises even to the least knowledgeable people on the matter.

The first one is a bit harder. One one hand I want to agree with you, there are a lot of bad fits regardless of formality. In truth I wish you could conjure up a dress code that boils down to "wear whatever you want, as long as you do make an effort", but alas that's not enforcable.
On the other hand, though I know it's the extreme end of the spectrum, then I think about people wearing literal beachwear/swimwear into elegant restaurants, or the almost-universally-despised cargo shorts, and that feels like somewhat of a counterpoint to the argument.

But more importantly, I do however think that, on average, the mere presence of any kind of dress code in a place/event will inspire the aspiring clients to indeed make an effort (however that may translate for them, their knowledge, experience and finally yes also their means), and that therefore the results would be, again on average, more aesthetically pleasing. Which is a good thing, I hope we can all agree on this at least (otherwise why are we even here on this forum?).

Last edited:

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, for some people, the more effort they put into their outfit, the worse it looks 🤣

But yea, there’s no perfect solution. I prefer to err on the side of being more welcoming and inclusive personally. And as a patron, that sign would turn me off more than another patron in cargo shorts.

But I guess there should be establishments for everyone, including those who feel that their dining experience is enhanced by such signs. Can’t please everyone

Mirage-

Reaction score
But I guess there should be establishments for everyone, including those who feel that their dining experience is enhanced by such signs. Can’t please everyone
Yeah, that's exactly what I'm saying. If you don't like it, go to one of the thousands that don't have one, if you do like it, I think you should be able to have that option as well.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
<SanFrancisco has entered the chat>

I was forced to go to that hell hole like 5 years ago for a wedding. I'm sure it smells like a stoners unwashed drawers these days.

Last edited:

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I was forced to go to that hell hole like 5 years ago for a wedding. I'm sure it smells like a stoners unwashed drawers these days.

😕

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
<SanFrancisco has entered the chat>
I had a meeting at a Federal Building in SF and the The Tenderloin was between there and my hotel. Quite a stark contrast between Union Square and The Tenderloin even though they are adjacent.

Yikes.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's fascinating to me that people get so emotional about how other people dress. I care how I dress, but am completely nonplussed by how other people dress.
FDE5D88C-0BC5-4BC2-85E1-2336004F139D.gif

It was actually kind of funny seeing DWW mentioned on this given he has pretty explicitly said he isn’t bothered by how anyone wants to dress on the formality scale.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads