• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MC General Chat

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alden's great, my cordovan tassel loafers are my go-to when I need something I can wear with a suit but can also be removed easily to go through jail security. Sizing was wonky compared to my English shoes, but I love them.
I have one pair of Alden loafers but my other stuff is mostly C&J. They seem to work for me even though I’ve had awful surgery on both feet, destroyed by an Army career.

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have one pair of Alden loafers but my other stuff is mostly C&J. They seem to work for me even though I’ve had awful surgery on both feet, destroyed by an Army career.
My two "shoes I can wear with a suit but also slip off to go through security" are my Alden #8 tassels and my brown C&J chelseas.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My two "shoes I can wear with a suit but also slip off to go through security" are my Alden #8 tassels and my brown C&J chelseas.
These are my first pair of Alden’s and they already feel better than most of the British shoes that I’ve tried. They do seem some what bulky but I need to be comfortable when I’m walking around for meetings.

Also, I supported tencap back in the day and the former officers were hobbling around. Airborne!!!

emptym

Reaction score
^Alden's unlined LHS in suede and shell on the Van and maybe Copley last is my oneshoe. They go with anything from jeans to maybe a tux. I also like their oxfords on the Hampton last. Spoo recently gave me a pair of tassels on the Aberdeen last, I think, and they fit great too. Fwiw, for all three, I'd take a 10C or 9.5D, and in English shoes, I'm usually a 9.

Edit, one of the big advantages Alden has over almost any other maker is that they have so many lasts and so many widths, that you should be able to find something that fits well.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who else is tired of those over priced British Goodyear welt shoes that never fit and end up on eBay after a year?!?!?

What’s the consensus on Alden shoes?

I generally prefer Alden over many other brands, see more below.

Alden's great, my cordovan tassel loafers are my go-to when I need something I can wear with a suit but can also be removed easily to go through jail security. Sizing was wonky compared to my English shoes, but I love them.

No surgeries, but similar feet issues, for similar reasons.....

These are my first pair of Alden’s and they already feel better than most of the British shoes that I’ve tried. They do seem some what bulky but I need to be comfortable when I’m walking around for meetings.

Also, I supported tencap back in the day and the former officers were hobbling around. Airborne!!!

They are generally "chunkier" but I find them more comfortable (if you get the fit right)

Alden's unlined LHS in suede and shell on the Van and maybe Copley last is my oneshoe. They go with anything from jeans to maybe a tux. I also like their oxfords on the Hampton last. Spoo recently gave me a pair of tassels on the Aberdeen last, I think, and they fit great too. Fwiw, for all three, I'd take a 10C or 9.5D, and in English shoes, I'm usually a 9.

Edit, one of the big advantages Alden has over almost any other maker is that they have so many lasts and so many widths, that you should be able to find something that fits well.

What many others have said. The combination of unlined shoes, the flex sole and a variety of lasts/widths makes them my go to shoe.

With the above mentioned military-induced feet issues, I need a comfortable shoe, The unlined suede chukkas, unlined suede PTBs and unlined cordovan PTB, all with flex sole are my "go to" shoes. I also like Indy boots for the weekends.

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any recommendations for reducing static cling between wool trousers and wool socks? I've cut back on liquid fabric softeners and now on cold, dry days my pant legs are practically glued to my calves.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
if you’re truly hard to fit then shoe might be something worth going bespoke. Can you assess the fit based on try on or you need long term wear, if the later guess you would have to just keep buying and trying if you don’t want go bespoke.

What’s the issue though, width, flat feet, wide heel etc?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any recommendations for reducing static cling between wool trousers and wool socks? I've cut back on liquid fabric softeners and now on cold, dry days my pant legs are practically glued to my calves.
Same thing happens to me. I shuffle across the floor in socks and then touch my wife on the nose to discharge all the static electricity.

EDIT: Please don’t try that…

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if you’re truly hard to fit then shoe might be something worth going bespoke. Can you assess the fit based on try on or you need long term wear, if the later guess you would have to just keep buying and trying if you don’t want go bespoke.

What’s the issue though, width, flat feet, wide heel etc?
I’ve always gone in to get measured by shoe salesmen; Edward green, C&J, G&G, and J. Lobb. They’ve all sold me the dream of tight fitting shoes that will break in after a few wears. But I’m still in pain. The Alden salesman had multiple fits and figured with a larger size with a narrow width. Problem solved.

I’ve done enough bespoke to know I don’t want that headache.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’ve always gone in to get measured by shoe salesmen; Edward green, C&J, G&G, and J. Lobb. They’ve all sold me the dream of tight fitting shoes that will break in after a few wears. But I’m still in pain. The Alden salesman had multiple fits and figured with a larger size with a narrow width. Problem solved.

I’ve done enough bespoke to know I don’t want that headache.

ok so since Alden fits you, I'll just stick with Alden, easy enough, so what's the issue then you don't like the aesthetics? Alden definitely has its charm just not going to be the sleekest in town

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I promise, I won’t shock your wife on the nose….
Ahem, right, well, back to CM stuff I grabbed a pair of C&J Connaught in dark brown. Have a pair in black and wanted brown dress shoes that were not brogues like all my AE Strands.

Nice that you can try on and have shipped with no sales tax.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads