• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MC General Chat

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bill Nighy looks fantastic here.
bill1.jpg bill5.jpg

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FYI - Tom Ford outlet in Italy has some decent Black Friday deals on dress shirts (as low as $46 for some designs).

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Serious question. What do you all think of loud(er) POW check patterns on a suit?

This is a Tom Ford, for example.

tf.JPG

tf1.jpg

tf2.jpg

Attachments

• tf.JPG
    tf.JPG
    503 KB · Views: 53

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
you can wear it just not very often and pretty much one look type of thing?

JIMIG

Reaction score
I have a navy cotton canvas "country coat" from Anglo-Italian. It is a very versatile, transitional jacket, and I am really happy with it. I basically wear it as I would a Barbour oilskin jacket, and it fits my use perfectly.

I am considering buying the navy wool version as well, for the colder months. Besides being warmer, I also think it looks a bit more formal than the cotton. Something I can wear casually, but also with tailoring.

I am unsure if this is a stupid move. What do you think about wardrobe duplicates? In this case navy cotton and navy wool. Would you consider this too much of an overlap/redundancy? Should I rather go with something completely different?

I have a topcoat, and planning to add a raglan balmacaan at some point in the future.

(PS: they also have non-navy wool versions, but I (and my wife) prefer navy)

Attachments

• AI_CC1.png
    AI_CC1.png
    206.8 KB · Views: 11
  • AI_CC2.png
    AI_CC2.png
    223.3 KB · Views: 11
  • AI_W1.png
    AI_W1.png
    415.5 KB · Views: 182
  • AI_W2.png
    AI_W2.png
    492.7 KB · Views: 177

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a navy cotton canvas "country coat" from Anglo-Italian. It is a very versatile, transitional jacket, and I am really happy with it. I basically wear it as I would a Barbour oilskin jacket, and it fits my use perfectly.

I am considering buying the navy wool version as well, for the colder months. Besides being warmer, I also think it looks a bit more formal than the cotton. Something I can wear casually, but also with tailoring.

I am unsure if this is a stupid move. What do you think about wardrobe duplicates? In this case navy cotton and navy wool. Would you consider this too much of an overlap/redundancy? Should I rather go with something completely different?

I have a topcoat, and planning to add a raglan balmacaan at some point in the future.

(PS: they also have non-navy wool versions, but I (and my wife) prefer navy)

If you’re happy basically wearing the same jacket then go for it. Personally I’d rather have some variety but that’s not a reason for you to do something.

that said, I’m a little skeptical about wearing that with tailoring. Is it really long enough to cover a sport coat?

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
As someone who owns roughly a dozen "not-quite-navy" blazers/sport coats, I'd be wary of breaking the seal on duplications.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
An $80 tweed jacket I bought on a whim, from eBay, fits me better than my local tailor's bespoke suit. It's also way more comfortable to wear while buttoned.

On one hand, I feel frustration that I dropped $1000 on something that doesn't satisfy me.

On the other hand, elation that an $80 jacket is more satisfying to wear, more comfortable, and will likely get more wear.

Also bodes well for sticking to buying used/vintage in the future, I may not be as hard to fit as I thought.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads