• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MC General Chat

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Almost any colour can work, depending on the coat.
New to turtlenecks, so still dipping my toes.

Black was my first pickup, works surprisingly well in classic menswear.

I think I will stick with the t-shirt style turtlenecks, very comfortable and not too hot.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with you. Staying stagnant when you’re very knowledgeable and interested in a subject is extremely difficult and requires a lot of discipline and perhaps a bit of lying to yourself. Going cheaper may be preferable since you still have your expensive pairs that you’ll appreciate more but it’s much more fun to go higher. I’m younger so I don’t have to worry about those expenses yet. I went to Phillips Academy and then college so I know a good American education is certainly expensive and there are definitely priorities that must be respected.

Ah yes, some of my compatriots from gradeschool crossed the country to Andover.

If you're in your 20s buying Langes you are more baller than I.

Good on you.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine is always either speeding up or staying at its rather ridiculous level. It's pretty much a given these days that the only version of anything I want that works for me also happens to be the more expensive version of that thing. (though I wish it weren't)

I feel you. I just built a new dining room.

I'm waiting for my custom shoji doors, but the craftsman works out of like 1500sq ft and in front of me are the built ins for Hayato (downtown Michelin * restaurant), a giant goose carving for a prestigious west side private school, and Fergies entire fence.

The goose, the craftsman told me, was gifted by a Canadian donor. That you @Nobilis Animus :)?

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel you. I just built a new dining room.

I'm waiting for my custom shoji doors, but the craftsman works out of like 1500sq ft and in front of me are the built ins for Hayato (downtown Michelin * restaurant), a giant goose carving for a prestigious west side private school, and Fergies entire fence.

The goose, the craftsman told me, was gifted by a Canadian donor. That you @Nobilis Animus :)?

If it were, I wouldn't say - since I prefer all my donations to remain anonymous!

To avoid building a new anything, I've tried to freshen things up with redecorating as much as possible. And then I find myself chatting with an interior designer and next thing you know I'm spending as much as a remodeling anyway.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I knew Foster and Son were closing their RTW business, but it seems that now even the bespoke portion is gone. That's a real shame - they were the best bespoke shoemaker I've tried, and I'm going to prize my pairs from them even more now.

Interesting you went to Foster. Who was your fitter and lastmaker?

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New to turtlenecks, so still dipping my toes.

Black was my first pickup, works surprisingly well in classic menswear.

I think I will stick with the t-shirt style turtlenecks, very comfortable and not too hot.

I've never worn a white turtleneck, but I'd imagine it could look good with sports jackets in lighter tones of grey, grey-brown, and some blues. I often go for a white scarf with navy jackets, so it seems like a natural pairing. Black works fine too, but I don't find it as versatile as dark grey.

These days I'm usually reaching for crewneck Smedleys and heathery, shetland sweaters instead of turtlenecks, though I'm keeping both in the rotation.

Octobab

Reaction score
Nothing too crazy. I will definitely check out Tom's as well. For some reason I was under the impression that Tailors on Blake was no longer in business, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
Thanks for your input!

Another extremely enthusiastic reccomendation for Tom's on grand here. A touch run-down feeling inside but very fair prices for astounding work - more than capable of handling more complex jobs, and a real knowledge of the finer points like drape, proportion, etc, at least compared to most.

MP3, to my knowledge, sends all of their stuff to All Seasons Garment Care, who are IMO horrifically overpriced.

When I first moved, I tried to go chat with as many tailors around MSP as I could, just to get a feeling and look at some of their work; I'll admit I'm far from an expert, but I had worked for an alterations tailor for a bit and can at least recognize decent vs shoddy work.

Aside from Tom's, I was also impressed by NorthEast Alterations, although he had a bit of an off vibe (older guy, felt like he smoked too many cigars), and by Sew Biz in downtown, who evidently had serious chops in the costume world, but her shop was very cramped and very busy, and I never quite felt comfortable.

I visited maybe 7 or 8 others and walked away mostly because of obviously bad work; simple things like buttons on a sleeve not being put back on straight, uneven hems, etc

Last edited:

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This looks like it’s for girls
It’s a bit colorful but would go well with some my winter coats. I have a somewhat similar one from Drake’s and wear it often.

That’s two comments on items better suited for girls. Care to elaborate on what you think is “proper?”

Last edited:

Egdon Heath

Reaction score
If you can read I clearly said I have no idea and provided the source.
Well maybe if you have no idea then maybe you should just shut up. You joined here less than 24 hours ago and have made 35 posts. Maybe zip it for a while.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
“The Chelsea Boot. They’re called Chelsea boots because everyone in New York’s Chelsea neighborhood, where nearly everyone is gay, owns a pair, and gay men know shoes, people.” Source: Today.com whether or not that’s true idk, but judging by the look of the boot I think it may have some validity
Chelsea boots date back to Victorian times. The name is associated with the Chelsea area of London and the Mods in the 1960s. The Beatles also popularized them.

Just got here and going full troll already?

Egdon Heath

Reaction score
Ahhhh so you own a Chelsea boot and are sensitive and insecure because someone told you that you bought girls boots. Let me clear up my messages just for you.
There’s nothing wrong with buying what you like. That still will never change the fact that we both know it’s not a mens shoe.
Have you considered signing up at homophobicassholes.com?

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
“The Chelsea Boot. They’re called Chelsea boots because everyone in New York’s Chelsea neighborhood, where nearly everyone is gay, owns a pair, and gay men know shoes, people.” Source: Today.com whether or not that’s true idk, but judging by the look of the boot I think it may have some validity

Noting is more manly than being concerned if a shoe looks "gay."

Egdon Heath

Reaction score
The name is associated with the Chelsea area of London and the Mods in the 1960s. The Beatles also popularized them
Is there an echo in here??

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads