• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MC General Chat

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only when I perceive a wash is needed except for summer trousers. I always have them cleaned at the end of the season if I've worn them a lot. Knitwear almost never unless I see a stain or it has that funny "Smith smell" after too many wears. :p

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Honest question: how often do you guys clean/wash your trousers? I wash shirts and tees often (underwear too obvi) but I rarely wash trousers - if there is visible soiling or stains, of course, but otherwise can easily go 10 wears without cleaning. Same with knitwear - rarely clean my knits, and rather leave them out to dry/air between wears. If they smell weird or are visibly dirty, I will clean them

very very very infrequent, except when they get dirty of course, knits is like basically forever but that's partially because I don't really like to wear knits....

I have a small kid too, but that's when I wear non dress chino (and sneaker..., just reality with young kid who like to explore mud which has plenty of duck poop...) that can go through washer (still hung dry, I don't use dryer on them)

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
very very very infrequent, except when they get dirty of course, knits is like basically forever but that's partially because I don't really like to wear knits....

I have a small kid too, but that's when I wear non dress chino (and sneaker..., just reality with young kid who like to explore mud which has plenty of duck poop...) that can go through washer (still hung dry, I don't use dryer on them)

My daughter is just shy of walking. I'm sure the destruction on my wardrobe will commence soon.

Can't let her in the yard without a close eye. Today's visitor:
20210927_105813.jpg

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Find out how often he washes his velvet, if you don't mind.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honest question: how often do you guys clean/wash your trousers? I wash shirts and tees often (underwear too obvi) but I rarely wash trousers - if there is visible soiling or stains, of course, but otherwise can easily go 10 wears without cleaning. Same with knitwear - rarely clean my knits, and rather leave them out to dry/air between wears. If they smell weird or are visibly dirty, I will clean them

Same.

Underware, T’s, socks, every wear, dress shirts too.

Ive got a few pairs of 5 pocket chinos, those get washed often, usually ever two or three wears.

Jeans, rarely, but more than the never-wash mantra, just when needed.

Any sort of tailored trouser (wool, or cotton) rarely unless stained. Tailored sport coat or suit, almost never, unless stained. Knits, almost never (I’ve become a fan of this https://www.thelaundress.com/wool-and-cashmere-spray-4-fl-oz.html)

tweedlover

Reaction score
Am a bit of a clean freak. So, shirts of any kind are worn once and put in the laundry. Jeans are worn only 3 times before laundering. Knit sweaters, however, are only washed once annually at the end of the season.

sansimeon

Reaction score
On the subject of cleaning trousers: I accidentally took a very intense bike ride wearing linen suit trousers, and they now smell like gym shorts. Will dry cleaning take care of that? I’ve been told dry cleaning doesn’t really help with smell.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Most of my trousers get washed (or dry cleaned) once every 7 or 8 wears or so. In the summer, if I go out for a walk or something during the day and it's hot and I get sweaty and gross, the trousers will get washed/cleaned after just one wear.

As I've been WFH many days a week since the pandemic started (and will continue to do so indefinitely), I've gotten rid of a lot of my tailored clothing more refined trousers and when I've bought new trousers they've generally been a lot more casual items that I can toss in the wash without having to think about it.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sort of like Michigan Planner and clean my pants every 7 or 8 wears. Sometimes more often if I sweat in them for whatever reason. If I don't clean them, they end up feeling gross when I put them on.

apShepard

Reaction score
Do you guys have somekind of way to log fits? For example I make these images.
Bomber.jpg

vanmosh

Reaction score
Do you guys have somekind of way to log fits? For example I make these images. View attachment 1676566

I use an app called Stylebook on iOS. It's pretty simple, but gets the job done. It may seem ridiculous, but it has helped a lot to log what I wear every day. This summer I was way off on what I thought vs. what actually got the most wear and have tailored future purchases accordingly.

apShepard

Reaction score
I use an app called Stylebook on iOS. It's pretty simple, but gets the job done. It may seem ridiculous, but it has helped a lot to log what I wear every day. This summer I was way off on what I thought vs. what actually got the most wear and have tailored future purchases accordingly.

oh thanks i will look it up

Salad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On laundering, I have a wool sweater that I'm considering washing by hand with Woolite. The label says "Dry clean only". I'm thinking about washing it because it a little too big and I want to shrink it just a little. I've read that you can hand wash clothes labeled as "Dry clean" but that you should dry clean clothes that are labeled "Dry clean only".
Has anyone here hand washed a "Dry clean only" sweater with good results?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads