• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MC General Chat

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How does the Bridge coat fit? Their website recommends sizing up.
It's definitely slimmer than most of their other pieces but this I think is due to the intended silhouette. I'm usually a 4 in PWVC sizing, I still take a 4 in the bridge coat but it is a bit tight in the chest and torso when fully buttoned up (I'm looking to have it let out a bit for this winter). Thing is, you have a box pleat in the back which helps and the material itself is fairly flexible and forgiving. I'd say size up only if your garments in your usual size are quite snug already.

The bridge coat is like a longer pea coat?
Longer, slimmer, smarter, more luxurious. It's very nice design IMO, the way the lapel sweeps up makes it really elegant I think.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The bridge coat is like a longer pea coat?
Yes, it's not really a classic Bridge Coat to me, more like a modified Pea Coat.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A bit too country for me. There's a nice PS version though - again with Private White - called the Wax Walker.

I guess my issue is that all the snaps on that thing make it look just as casual as a Barbour to me...if I wanted something "city" I wouldn't get this either, I'd get something dressier.

Barbour is wax cotton?

That's what I had in mind.

Tocklishchap

Reaction score
I like cashmere overcoats, but my favourite sweaters are the guernsey type of wool, or else something like a merino rollneck.

As far as cashmere sweaters though, I think Scottish is the best. Italian for coats.

It looks as if we share the same sensible tastes!

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Their 5-pocket cords are great. I have some from last year.
I have one pair of cords from Rota that I like but don't wear much. I think I wore cords constantly as a kid in the 70s and kind of gave them up along with turtlenecks. :oops: Greatly prefer wool flannel trousers in the winter.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have one pair of cords from Rota that I like but don't wear much. I think I wore cords constantly as a kid in the 70s and kind of gave them up along with turtlenecks. :oops: Greatly prefer wool flannel trousers in the winter.

Cords >> wool when you have a toddler. The ability to (a) roll around on the floor without messing them up and (b) wash them is invaluable.

That said, I typically wear cords as a substitute for denim, not as a substitute for tailored trousers.

Eli Curt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cords >> wool when you have a toddler. The ability to (a) roll around on the floor without messing them up and (b) wash them is invaluable.

That said, I typically wear cords as a substitute for denim, not as a substitute for tailored trousers.
I love rolling around with my toddler in my corduroy suit.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Same here with regards to stopping wearing them in the late 70s and never looking back. I came back into the fold recently though with some 5 pocket Spier & Mackay cords. Love 'em. They're nostalgic while at the same time being well fitting functional pants perfect with some rustic brogued boots or shoes in cool weather.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Their 5-pocket cords are great. I have some from last year.
Same here with regards to stopping wearing them in the late 70s and never looking back. I came back into the fold recently though with some 5 pocket Spier & Mackay cords. Love 'em. They're nostalgic while at the same time being well fitting functional pants perfect with some rustic brogued boots or shoes in cool weather.

I do love some wool flannel, but I have embraced corduroy (especially in the 5 pocket variety) and turtleneck knits for fall/winter.

Trying out some Rota cords is on the list. Love their trousers, and their cords are likely no expeption.

Certainly not all CM, but there's some good stuff in here

There are some really enticing items in that collection, liking the bean boot in Todd Snyder colorways, and chamois shirts, wool shirt jackets (do I need another shirt jacket??), and the Sherpas look great

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are some really enticing items in that collection, liking the bean boot in Todd Snyder colorways, and chamois shirts, wool shirt jackets (do I need another shirt jacket??), and the Sherpas look great

My only issue with the shirt jackets and the chamois shirts are the contrasting materials on the forearms...I don't love that.

I bought the jumping trout sweater, and I think the fishing jackets are pretty tempting, especially at their very reasonable price.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Still haven't figured out what kind of black footwear to buy.

In my head, black suede chelseas would cover the most breadth in terms of aesthetics (from workwear, to casual suits), but these are kind of hard to find. Even here, Chelseas may be too sleek overall for workwear fits.

Black calf chelseas and black blundstones seem like they would cover more breadth. To my eye though, black chelseas are a bit too smart for how I usually dress.

Here's a random assortment of things I wear: Safari/Field jackets, denim jackets, shawl cardigans, balmacaans, polo coats, various chinos, jeans, denim shirts, OCBDs. Occasional casual suit or sports coat.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still haven't figured out what kind of black footwear to buy.

In my head, black suede chelseas would cover the most breadth in terms of aesthetics (from workwear, to casual suits), but these are kind of hard to find. Even here, Chelseas may be too sleek overall for workwear fits.

Black calf chelseas and black blundstones seem like they would cover more breadth. To my eye though, black chelseas are a bit too smart for how I usually dress.

Here's a random assortment of things I wear: Safari/Field jackets, denim jackets, shawl cardigans, balmacaans, polo coats, various chinos, jeans, denim shirts, OCBDs. Occasional casual suit or sports coat.

Check out Chelsea 11. A little more rugged casual with lug soles or Chelsea V in rough suede..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics