• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MC General Chat

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I would appreciate your advice on an upcoming MTM commission through Samuelsohn. Specifically, I'm looking to get a fox brothers flannel suit in this model:

1632257997858.png

I'm 5'10/5'11, and the 40R OTR fits well. That said, these are the adjustments I would appreciate your input on:

1. Adding an inch to the length (40R is 29' BOC off the rack; I want to make it 30').

2. Flap pockets instead of patch pockets.

3. Lower the buttoning point by 1' (Question: Based on the pic above, do you think I should leave the buttoning point alone?)

4. Adjust the lapel by a quarter inch (standard lapel is 3.25'. I want to make it 3.5').

5. Get it in a peak lapel.

Do any of the proposed adjustments above seem offside/not ideal based on the model pictured above?

The model above has little-to-no shoulder padding (maybe just a layer of canvas).

And here is the fabric (I want to get the suit done in the navy chalk stripe on the left).

1632258469840.png

Thanks again everybody!

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
kind tangent, but what's the attraction of Samuelsohn, I like what they make for Paul Stuart Phineas Cole but never really see much of their own stuff (Nordstorm/Saks Fifth? though rarely in my size and fit were kind generic)

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I would appreciate your advice on an upcoming MTM commission through Samuelsohn. Specifically, I'm looking to get a fox brothers flannel suit in this model:

View attachment 1672821

I'm 5'10/5'11, and the 40R OTR fits well. That said, these are the adjustments I would appreciate your input on:

1. Adding an inch to the length (40R is 29' BOC off the rack; I want to make it 30').

2. Flap pockets instead of patch pockets.

3. Lower the buttoning point by 1' (Question: Based on the pic above, do you think I should leave the buttoning point alone?)

4. Adjust the lapel by a quarter inch (standard lapel is 3.25'. I want to make it 3.5').

5. Get it in a peak lapel.

Do any of the proposed adjustments above seem offside/not ideal based on the model pictured above?

The model above has little-to-no shoulder padding (maybe just a layer of canvas).

And here is the fabric (I want to get the suit done in the navy chalk stripe on the left).

View attachment 1672824

Thanks again everybody!

1. Yes to flapped pockets
2. I would prob keep lapel width as is. I don't know if they can lower the gorge, but I would ask for that before asking to widen the lapel
3. Would not get peak lapels.

Cant comment on the other stuff without seeing the base model on you.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
kind tangent, but what's the attraction of Samuelsohn, I like what they make for Paul Stuart Phineas Cole but never really see much of their own stuff (Nordstorm/Saks Fifth? though rarely in my size and fit were kind generic)

It took a lot of digging, but I found a newer model that fits similarly to their PS models.

In this case, the Michael model works for me (good waist suppression, minimal padding).

Also, PS does a much much better job in selecting fabrics for their tailoring. Samuelsohn itself, chooses boring fabrics imo. With MTM, I can at least choose fabrics that align closely with the PS aesthetic.

And lastly (to echo my point above), you can basically create the PS look if you know what to ask for. For example, I MTM'd pleated d-ring trousers (ala PS) directly through Samuelsohn, and the results were great.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bonus fabrics I'm considering (again, closer to PS aesthetic):

1632259062992.png

Attachments

• 1632259023542.png
    1632259023542.png
    1,018.1 KB · Views: 12

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Navy chalk stripe is quite a strong look. If it's your first chalk stripe I would stick to mid-grey. Apologies if you have many such suits already.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It took a lot of digging, but I found a newer model that fits similarly to their PS models.

In this case, the Michael model works for me (good waist suppression, minimal padding).

Also, PS does a much much better job in selecting fabrics for their tailoring. Samuelsohn itself, chooses boring fabrics imo. With MTM, I can at least choose fabrics that align closely with the PS aesthetic.

And lastly (to echo my point above), you can basically create the PS look if you know what to ask for. For example, I MTM'd pleated d-ring trousers (ala PS) directly through Samuelsohn, and the results were great.

now that sounds very tempting...

@radicaldog
I'm very sure @othertravel has too many suits just like all of us...

and back on topic

1. Adding an inch to the length (40R is 29' BOC off the rack; I want to make it 30') -> sounds about right I'm 5'7 and I do 28.5 to 29in depends on the fit

2. Flap pockets instead of patch pockets.-> agree for suits

3. Lower the buttoning point by 1' (Question: Based on the pic above, do you think I should leave the buttoning point alone?) -> hard to say

4. Adjust the lapel by a quarter inch (standard lapel is 3.25'. I want to make it 3.5') -> sounds ok

5. Get it in a peak lapel. -> definitely personal choice, but I would

I really like Coleman model which looks like it's MtM on phineas cole only these days (but definitely not that fabric...)

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think once you are in the realm of chalk stripes, there is a "in for a penny in for a pound" aspect with peak lapels. You are already making one bold choice, I don't know if you really amplify it at all with the peak lapel choice.

I would only mess with buttoning point if the stock garment proved it was necessary, I wouldn't just do it because I was lengthening the coat.

Pockets have to be jetted or flapped, patch is the one true incorrect choice.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We’ll, there is another kicker.

Samuelsohn also offers a Hollywood waist band for the trousers. If I was going full Sexton, how do you pull it off?

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Navy chalk stripe is quite a strong look. If it's your first chalk stripe I would stick to mid-grey. Apologies if you have many such suits already.

Mid grey is a consideration as well. I might do two - 1 navy and 1 grey.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
now that sounds very tempting...

@radicaldog
I'm very sure @othertravel has too many suits just like all of us...

and back on topic

1. Adding an inch to the length (40R is 29' BOC off the rack; I want to make it 30') -> sounds about right I'm 5'7 and I do 28.5 to 29in depends on the fit

2. Flap pockets instead of patch pockets.-> agree for suits

3. Lower the buttoning point by 1' (Question: Based on the pic above, do you think I should leave the buttoning point alone?) -> hard to say

4. Adjust the lapel by a quarter inch (standard lapel is 3.25'. I want to make it 3.5') -> sounds ok

5. Get it in a peak lapel. -> definitely personal choice, but I would

I really like Coleman model which looks like it's MtM on phineas cole only these days (but definitely not that fabric...)

Thanks for this. PS also has some great looks with hacking pockets.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
We’ll, there is another kicker.

Samuelsohn also offers a Hollywood waist band for the trousers. If I was going full Sexton, how do you pull it off?

never liked hollywood waist band personally looks too much menswear and somewhat sloppy for a suit

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads